• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straightcut without Desication

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straightcut without Desication

Is anyone straightcutting cereals without a dose of dissication? I thought that mostly went out of style in the 80s?

I am all for less chemical but unless you are maybe saving some seed, dissication seems to help bring that crop home and helps with weeds too.

We did all our wheat oats and peas without last year sprayed after.

This year we are doing it ahead. Always seem to run out of time and good spraying days after and we got a poor kill with heavy residue.

Comment

Germ recked for Pedigreed seed; It can't be desiccated... so if uneven maturity we swath.

Comment

k....klause....I get u....but seriously...its 3 am....

Comment

Everybody up watching the thermometer?

Comment

Are we talking preharvest herbicide or desiccation? The only registered desiccant I know of is Diaquat.

Comment

for what its worth...my choice and conditions allowed...straight cut wheat/bly...no dessicant...put on air...weeds in field can wait for another day ...

Comment

I have been straight cutting my cereals for many years with no pre harvest a lot of the time. But this year, with all the late moisture, they are holding on worse than normal. So I am spraying most. I do not swath. It is against my religion.

Comment

We have bumped up seeding rate significantly and have not desicated cereals for more than 3 years now.

Comment

Mb.., is bumping up your seed rate related to your decision to not desicate? Crop too thick to spray ?

Comment

With countries testing more and more. With glysophate at risk already and countries needing any reason to close borders why would we still be desicating our crips as normal practice. This will not last in my opinion and there will be no desicating in the future. If you want to keep this tool then farmers need to it way back and only use in emergencies. Don't know how we ever thought dousin our crops 7-14 days before combining would be acceptable to where the world is going with MRLs

Comment

And let's call it how it is. Most farmers do not go by label especially with cheap glysophate. Going over anyways those thistles (etc) could use a bit extra. Glysophate is basically free anyways

Comment

Now with imploding economies all over the world the currency wars are starting to heat up. Look out for other tactics like stiff tariffs on imports, or worse tight limits on MRL's. Next in the news rejected shiploads of Canadian wheat. If you pre harvest herb sell it quick the rules can change while its in the bin.

Comment

I've never done a preharvest on cereals. This may be the year that changes though.

Comment

The purpose is to have less tillers and even out the maturity and stand.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...