• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain Delay!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Delay!

Well it looks like were going to get the weekend off. Rained all way from Alberta to NE Sask or it will get their and maybe stronger as the day heat starts. I don't think Alberta had frost.
    We did manage to get the peas off before the third shower hit yesterday. First was mist from Thursday night then one in afternoon but the evening one would have stopped most from doing anything.
    Machines home, found a new weak point with Wag the dog on 2015 machines. Weak shaft one went then the other so replacing shafts on three today.
    Peas are off the fields are also all worked.
    Trying something new have a guy working a day after combines hit a field.
    So for some its a ok rain will help rot the Canola swaths and bring the wheat in a little faster, but for some Canola is going to change and change fast next week in our area. Any barley swath the Geese will have fun and now it will be down graded.
    Few guys had their HRS down because most strait cut in our area.
    No lentils to speak of.
    So again its a rain delayed weekend. Looks like next week will have 5 realy great days in a row in high 20S.
    Go riders we don't need another loss.

Some pictures from Calgary this morning are showing a little frost on the windows. Could it be!

Comment

This rain should help weigh down my canola swaths if the wind gusts to 70. That is a silver lining for me. Only have a quarter of standing wheat that will probably lose some color. Everything else is kind of water proof.

p.s. canola is surprising the shitnout of me. Way better than I expected. How? I don't know....with the little precip we had. For that I am truly grateful!!!!

Comment

Wee bit chilly in Westlock, NW of Edmonton, this am.

Comment

Productivity..... I can't imagine how much you ($F3) can get done in a day with 3 new combines. I was working beside a family who started on a 600 acre ,or so, section of swathed peas. They finished it in about 14 hours. My god, no wonder some people want to, and can, farm half the countryside! It takes a team to do it but it can be done. Seems to be the trend, not personally interested myself though.

Go big or go home, I think I'll stay home.

Comment

SUB SOIL MOISTURE MADE THIS CROP NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE KILLER IF IT TURNS DRY!

Comment

Were a family farm all relatives work for us from sons to grandfathers to fathers and cousins. Yea when every thing falls into place its fun when every thing falls out of place its a cluster ****. But I enjoy it. Just need the Chinese land to sit one more year without being seeded and maybe its farm expansion number four. Two years now no crop time will tell.

Comment

25 peas and 24-30 wheat is disappointing compared to canola that "can't take the heat and likes rain". Not that the canola yeilds are real good but in comparison to the wheat and peas I was expecting less. Some real weak spots in the fields but some decent ones are bringing up the average.

Comment

So are you saying those expensive genetics have value?

Comment

I never said that and never paid for them either. ;-0 (?)

Comment

So, if a BTO pie gets split 3 to 4 ways am I at about 2400 acres any different than each of the "pieces" of the BTO pie?

Comment

Size of the farm doesn't matter its how efficient you are. Guy beside farms 30000 acres its a shit show. One earth and Broad acres were other examples of total **** up operations. Then their are BTOs that run one hell of a operation their the ones that never get on the news never hit the spotlight just know how to farm and farm good.

Comment

Our sub soil moisture is topped up again now , it can turn dry here and stay that way till Oct.
                          Actually most of central Alberta and western Sask top soil and sub soil has been mostly recharged - at the expense of some pule crops .

Comment

Absolutely agree S/F , same thing here.

Comment

I've said it before. The average primary Producer is the unsung hero of the Industry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...