• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Well again what a week, it seems the blocker has moved or changed or what ever is happening were now getting rain every cloud that seems to appear. Thunder and lightning and rain. So a big rain event took place this week and it sure looked like the rain event that happened last summer just after farm progress show. It moved in from the south and just sat their for a day going round. The major rain area was Assiniboia to Davidson up to Humboldt and then Melfort. We were in between two fronts and only had 2.5 but week total is over 3. Rain makes grain this kind of shit makes for a loss. Sorry Boys but crops sitting in water will turn white and then die. Nothing to harvest and you don't get paid from Crop insurance as the rest of your fields will be above your coverage.
    But oh how it makes harvest fun.
    So here it is the end of July and yes I always say a rain around Regina Exhibition is what we always need.
    Hrs. is filling nice with large heads and filling 6 to 8 rows with av 15 spikelet to 17. Fuz is showing up in some fields that weren't sprayed but so far minor damage. Lodging is happening from the wind and rain event. Some early wheat is two weeks away from desiccating. Our areas wheat have a good chance to hit top yields if weather cooperates.
    Barley is starting to turn on early seeded fields the excess rain could down grade the early fields but time will tell. Lodging is happening. The later are filling nice with good size heads but again disease could change the outcome of the later seeded crops. One half is about 7 to 10 days away from swathing for malt.
    Oats is the comeback king and filling nice. Big problem with oats this year is haven't seen a clean field anywhere in my travels as Wild oats have slipped through. Hopefully most will shell before the oats is ready to strait cut.
    Flax had a rough week with the heavy rain and wind. Flat and twisted, also a problem that is popping up is cleavers have had a second life and flax fields seem to be hit the hardest with cleavers wrapping around and taking the crop flat. Flax also hasn't had a banner year like other years and yield wont be tops.
    Peas are going to be desiccated today or tomorrow depending on fields and water. Geese seem to have found a few already and doing minor damage. Our early are shorter than any one who seeded later but they podded real nice. Diseases from other years haven't showed up this year as we were dryer up till July. Its the water in excess that caused a lot of shit to happen. Late peas will be the ones to watch as yields will be very very good. One note our area will average above a lot of areas but I don't think this crop is as large as our best ever the week of dry weather at first flower did something, time will tell.
    Canola ah canola you have done a few things this year that our area hasn't seen in about 10. Come up in perfect rows, Cabbage like your suppose to, then bolt and flower for weeks on end, then pod and lodge so no one can walk through the field. I hate to say it but were back. Most canola is very very tall and podded very well on early. Some varieties are having issues with pod blanks vs. others. We have a DuPont variety that looks awesome. Our RR have lodged quite a bit and the liberty is just shutting down. One note the L140 wont give a high yield like the rest so it might be a variety that we will be dropping. Strait cut and all its about Yield and Cost per acre to grow.
    Over all Canola is back as a crop that we can grow in what was a normal year weather wise up till July.
    Soy is having a awesome time. Most fields are about 2 to 3 ft tall. Nice looks like water flowering for about two weeks time will tell. Maybe sorry I cut back acreage this year but still learning with this crop.
    Corn had a rough week with the wind and rain and sort of tipped over in lots of places.
    Lentils no one in whole area has any that I travel so a non crop.
    Durum looked like a crop that we all should get back on track growing since the year started dryer. A few issues are showing up and heads aren't as big as best year. Time will tell.
    Pastures are I would say a 8 to 9 and hay crops are surprise for some as yields are better than last year. Early cut Alfalfa fields are full green and growing very well the second time.
    So rain at this time which is heavy takes crops away but does fill what is their so depending on amount you got time will tell. Did here a area to the west of us found a bertha. One is not a problem. Lots are but for fields I walked nothing yet. Were in a sweet spot all year and grateful for having a normal year. But one note if rains continue it will start to cause major problems. We now will be tilling fields again after harvest this year due to excess moisture to dry out the ground. Also maybe might have to go back to putting down avadex or something as wildoats are back.
    One note drought is a bitch and all the rain will do is help regenerate the soil for next year. Its Canada Next year country.
    So again to sum up the next week, the rain will help fill the crops and bring them in sooner with the heat that's coming Sat to Friday. Pea harvest on fields Regloned today or tomorrow could be ready to go by next Friday. Early barley is days away from cutting. Early wheat is two weeks away from desiccating.
    So one of the most important things to remember its just a crop and family at home is more important than any thing else. So keep safe they (all the ones who need us but don't pay their share) will all get their share if its done today or tomorrow.
    Have a great Long weekend the real silly season is days away.

SF3... your crop yields appear to be??? good to excellent I gather?

Many Canola fields in central Alberta coming back in bloom (perhaps 60 percent)... Wheat tillers on many field have headed and flowered.. thicker crops now appear better with rain causing height increase where it came. Our Fabas back in bloom. Peas half thinking about blooming again. Weeds are happy and pulling above crop on early applied fields. 80 percent of normal on Canola over all if average frost Sept 10. Wheat between 50 and 90 percent depending on showers. Flax hard to tell maybe 60 percent... but weeds are nasty since thin and late. Barley is starting to fill in and look better... perhaps 70 percent of normal. Central /North Some hailed areas are flat and brown.. dead so pounded. Silage rigs out around Lacombe. Alberta is still short on rain... but for 70 percent crops will be OK.. 30 percent a short mess with low production.

Have a great weekend... weed mowing the project next up.

Comment

Assessment after the rain storm:
      Wheat made it through without too much damage. Drowning in low spots will be the biggest loss.
      Barley beat up. The best crops look the worst. Chances of making malt have gone down considerably.
      Canola is going to use this moisture to fill. Net gain for canola production.
      Surprisingly flax didn't lodge. The reason being it is not very thick! Still expecting a mediocre yield, but the rain may help a little.
      A note on cleavers in flax; cleavers are here to stay. Pick fields for flax carefully.

Comment

Farmjng101. Have you tried Authority (sulfentrazone)?

Comment

No, haven't needed to. If we get cornered with crop rotation choices, I would certainly try it.
          Neighbors have tried it with fair to good results.

Comment

Farma,

We did 320 of authority... can't say it did much... but perhaps this drought reduced control? Will tell better when we harvest.

Comment

Looks to me Edge is the likely path from here on in... as we are not getting the wild oat control we would like... and it helps with cleavers.

Comment

We used it two years in a row on flax. Ok results but this year, like Tom said, is a bit of an unknown. It needs moisture to activate it and we never got a lot so did it work somewhat or did the shallow germinating weed seeds just not germinate. Last year I was pleased though, with a few escapes, nothing is perfect. Some neighbors fields looked like they were blanketed in cleavers.
                Kind of pricey for the spectrum of weeds it controls.

Used it on the peas as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...