• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revisit TPP discussion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisit TPP discussion

First I will point out I am not a dairy or poultry farmer or have I ever been one.
    Personally I am not in favour of throwing our present supply management system under the bus believing we will get cheaper dairy and poultry. I am willing to bet bread is cheaper in the US even though they get as good a price or better for wheat than we do. Those that advocate for open market claim we will pay a lot less for milk, my bet is the processors and retailers will eat up all the savings. I believe there is about 20 billion dollars(could be wrong) worth of quota in Canada. How do you compensate the farmers for lost equity? The TPP is important but will we gain more than we lose?

Farmers don't get compensated for lost equity when land prices drop. Time for supply management to join the modern world.

Comment

Bfw you are correct, they will phase it out with a large pay out just before the next election. Quebec ontario vote = majority government

Comment

No government is going to do a full buyout on quota based on an artificial price, inflated by the industry itself. Doing so loses more political points than it gains.

A percentage maybe.

Nothing will happen before the election. But watch for the week after it, regardless of who wins. They will all sell the quota down the river so they can stay in the TPP club.

Not that I care. I would like to see the look on the Mennonite neighbor's face if the paycheck and equity just vanished one day. Might take his smugness and arrogance down a few pegs.

Comment

Bfw you are correct, they will phase it out with a large pay out just before the next election. Quebec ontario vote = majority government

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...