• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fungicides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys around here tried headline on flax. Once. The delay in maturity and frost problems were a far worse issue than the supposed "yield boost" from the fungi app.

Beware, depending on your growing conditions.

And a big, honking, fat PLUS ONE to sawfly. We need real life research farm results on this stuff, not your neighbors "results" especially the neighbors who spray every acre 17 times. Do we think these yahoos are actually going to say it DOESN'T pay? lol I have never heard one of them say it was a waste of money. Which I find telling. The years I spray, I generally see no difference, at least no big difference, but our area is so not normal for Sask, that who knows?

Pick a number out of the air, they do.

"So, John, did headline pay on your flax this year?"

"Why yes, Tim, gave us another 9 bushels an acre."

Yeah. Riggggghhhhhhttttttt. "Why did the sprayed portion turn that sick brown after the September 9th frost, while the unsprayed was dead ripe?" lol

I dunno. Happy for the guys who all these apps work for. Mystified as to why they fail for me and a few of my neighbors who are more open about it.

Comment

If you have a 4 or 5 year rotation then your fungicide results will be very different then your neighbor who grows only wheat and canola

Comment

Thank you Tweety!

Comment

What's funny is after i wrote that and hit return to discussion, i read yours!

Comment

i know a few years ago , spraying the wheat payed big time .for me .
            last year i took the advice from here . (agriville) about not delaying maturity .
            and did not spray the wheat.
            got 2-3 on them except for last seeded field , feed

and a guy i know , had every wheat field he sprayed go feed.
            the rest was 2 and 3.

Comment

Maybe we will get hit hard one day on our farm but on our fields we only use a foliar application of copper prior to heading when we apply our micros and melted N. Have done that for the past 5 years. Our agronomist claims that if the plant is given every nutrient it needs, Brix levels are significantly raised and it can fight many of it's own battles on its own. 1 litre of Cu is about $5.90, so it works out to approx. $4.43/ acre to put it on. He claims that many of the fungicides are Cu based anyway, that is where they get much of their efficacy from. Chem reps vehemently oppose this with their facts and figures, but time will tell. We have only successfully done this for 4 harvests, so too early to tell, but I do see a trend. When I worked in the medical field it became obvious that pharmaceutical companies would rather "manage" a problem with their "solution" (pills) rather than deal with the underlying presenting issue that caused the symptoms in the first place. Better to have a client for life using their meds, than address the issue and have it go away for the patient. Job stability and looks good to the shareholders.
              There seems to be a parallel between crop nutrition (or lack of)relating to overall plant health and that of human health. Chemical companies seem to be quick to offer a "solution" to manage the condition that presents, rather than perhaps look deeper as to what created this situation in the first place.

Comment

Who created the problem. Well they've found fossilized fusarium spores in Manitoba so . . .

I like your approach seedman. Giving plants what they need to combat disease on their own should be the goal. I'm not sure about late applied Cu. I thought that could harm yield.

Where we are may not be the birthplace of fusarium, but it's for darn sure the nursery. We do all we can including variety selection, foliar nutrition, and fungicides. Without fungicides we are heading to a wreck our customers wouldn't want.

But where we are is high humidity, heavy canopy, wet mornings. If you farm where the climate is different you may not get the value from fungicides.

Comment

Goodness, lets not let facts and figures get in the way of an agronomists opinion.

Comment

What's an agronomist?

Comment

Totally agree seedman. Giving young children antibiotics is frowned upon because it can damage a childs immune system for life, crops are no different. In my experience the problems start with seed treatment.

Comment

If the rain events continue, all the spray used will still have your durum downgraded.

It takes about 48 hours of ripe 1cwad with rain to become a 3cwad or lower.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...