• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta budget

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what does Norway spent the billions on? Must have fantastic infrastructure, free post secondary education, high paying jobs, maybe 32 hr work week? AB had low taxes, just the opposite, and still enough were not happy. All get corrupted and complacent.

Comment

It is size and scope of government. Unfounded liabilities. Their protections didnt work the government is brain dead. They are the people who you graduated with metaphorically.

Comment

Hamloc: I will argue that Canadians are already paying nearly as much in tax as Norwegians. Easy to make Norway sound bad when you inflate their rates and don't compare Canadian rates. Here is a tax comparison from Wikipedia:

Canada
        corporate: 26.5%
        max. individual: 0% to 50% Surcharge taxes ((Varies) (15%-29% federal 5%-21% provincial $0–$900CDN Health Premium Surcharge Taxes
        payroll taxes: 9.9%, split equally between the employee and the employer up to a maximum of $2425.50 each (CPP) 1.88% up to a maximum of $930.60, with the employer contributing 1.4 times that amount, 2.632%, up to a maximum of $1,302.84 (Employment Insurance EI) varied % of Income Tax (CIP))
        Sales tax: 5% (federal GST) with exemptions for small-businesses 0%-10% (PST)
        plus all other taxes (gas, excise, etc)

Norway
        corporate: 27%
        Personal: 47.2% (includes 8.2% pension contribution)
        payroll: 0%-14.1%
        sales tax: 25% or 15% (food and drink in shops) or 8% (transportation, cinema, hotel rooms)

Now compare the services both countries offer citizens for the taxes collected!

Comment

Norway personal income rate should have read 0% to 47.2%. Like Canada lowest income bracket does not pay any personal income tax.

Comment

I think i'll buy shares in norway's statoil (nyse-STO )

Comment

I don't agree DML, as far as tax rates- in norway they are 42% of GDP, in canada tax is 31% of GDP. cost of living in norway is much higher also- consumer prices are 49% higher,rent is 49.5% higher, restaurant meals are 85% higher, groc. are 30% higher. Things are pretty darn good in canada! It's not always greener on the other side! Also norway purchasing power is 5% lower than canada. We have one of the highest standards of living in the world but you wouldn"t know it by reading whinerville.

Comment

stonepicker:
                you ignore that the GDP in Canada is 5 times higher than Norway.
                Yes costs are higher, but at the same time we have unemployment at nearly 7% vs 3.4% in Norway. You don't compare wages only costs!
                You fail to mention that Norway has one of the highest national savings rates in the world (15th) at 37.5% vs Canada (71th) at 21.2%. You ignore that public debt in Canada is now 97.6% of GDP (20highest country in world) vs only 29.6% in Norway (179th in world).
                Most shocking in 2014 Norway had a current account balance of 50 billion USD. (10th best in world) Compare that to Canada with a 2014 current account balance of -50.8 USD and a ranking of 190 out of 193 countries.

Fact is we are not paying enough in taxes or income generation to pay the bills our governments are racking up. Instead we are racking up debt for our children.

Comment

dml, it's a percentage of GDP, it doesn't matter that ours is 5 times higher. But i do agree that canada is spending more than the gov. is taking in and that has to stop. But can any gov. in a democracy actually cut programs and waste, prov. or federal ? There's so much waste in gov., we don't need to raise taxes we need to cut spending. Why in WPG. if you have to go to emergency you will be waiting there 6-8 hrs. ? On a regular basis. ( some hospitals more ) The health care system is so inefficient it"s not funny! I guess i'm ranting and raving now. What canada and the usa need is a wise dictator that can make hard decisions and implement them.

Comment

So how is health care in Norway? And pensions? How about infrastructure? Remember, it's only the population of AB, NOT Canada with plus 50 billion $$, can we buy shares in Norway?

Comment

Actually norway has a pretty hefty debt. too. rounding it off it's over 117 billion US. dollars ( 5 million people ) take it times 6 ( canada's pop. 30 million ) = over 700 billion. Canada doesn't look quite so bad anymore. Big difference is norway's heritage fund! ( 800 billion i think )

Comment

Also their heritage fund is invested all around the world. If things go bad worldwide it could be a lot less.

Comment

stonepicker: funny how you do not compare Norway's debt to GDP when you are so willing to compare taxes to GDP. Check out this chart. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/government-debt-to-gdp

It is the Canadian debt to GDP from 2006 to present and until the last year was going up every year under the Conservative government. (CIA stats says it tops out in 2014 at 97.60% and ranks Canada's world standing at 129th) Now hit compare Norway Government debt to GDP and over the same time period has gone down every year. Which is better fiscal management? (CIA says 2014 public debt in Norway was 29.6% of GDP and is ranked 20th in the world.)

Comment

nope, federal debt to gdp is 86.5%, i think i made it plain that norway is doin great, what i'm saying is canada is doing not bad. what's the US. debt per capita? triple that of canada?

Comment

Such a big deal is made over royalties. Yet when the world price goes to half the oil industry is still going and making money. It s a shit show to say the least. People want to say farmers that want meaningful programs are asking for wfare. Well just look at the pittance of royalty paid and tell me who s the welfare bums sucking off all those not in the industry.

They buy off politicians and governments then when the so called expansion to population comes who pays for it? The rest of us. Alberta has all this new infrastructure and now can t even maintain it. Fuel prices still ridiculous Gong show 101.

Let the oil industry go set up in Somalia or other places where the workers get their heads blown off. They keep threatening to go elsewhere well plain and simply fk off.
                              Produce oil and give next to free domestically and we will see real growth people and industry would flock here. Better not say more after all that's really why khadafi was killed. His country was set to boom economically because domestic oil price was pennies.

Comment

No, we are very close to US government debt per capita. According to Bloomberg in 2014 US had 3rd highest debt per capita at $58,910/person. Canada was 7th highest at $45,450/person. No where close to your claim US is 3 times higher!

Interestingly, Bloomberg pointed out the basket case Greece was actually 12th on the list at $38,000 per capita, significantly less than Canada!

But stonepicker, keep drinking the conservative koolaid thinking Canada is in great economic shape

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...