• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a eye opener yesterday! I suggest every one take a driv!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a eye opener yesterday! I suggest every one take a driv!

Wow it is hard to imagine what's happening out their till you get in the truck and head out crop checking.
    For all spring I said it was a normal year and for us maybe it's just were back to normal. Showers come around long lake then build and drop close to our area , they don't travel across the valley then head east to Manitoba.
    If a storm crosses the valley it picks up swings north for a bit then heads east.
    So yesterday I headed to the lake a different way.
    As I'm going north on a grid from our place I notice just 10 miles out things are dry. Leaf wilting in the sun and wind yesterday. As I cross the highway and keep traveling north reality sets in. Fields turning blue and wheat with no leaves and headed. Winter wheat turning golden and canola a little here and their.
    Who ever rented some of the old broad ass rented land has basically nothing. Now after a hour strait north and turning east the crops do improve but you can tell they need a drink real soon or they will be going backwards.
    At the lake the flowers were drooping and trees look like they need a good rain.
    So normal year no fricking way. I'm thinking sask is for the most part turned from a wet cycle to a very dry one.
    Within the next few weeks I'll be hapeading west to calgary can't expect that trip to be very green.
    Basically it was a eye opener how close the line is from nice to out of moisture.
    Take a drive all it makes you appreciate everything around you oh so much better.

There are pockets within pockets where crops change drastically within very short distances. That is why you cannot say a certain area is dry or not dry and reflect every field of that area. Showers were very eradic and that make a huge difference. Althouth Kelvington area has had perfect rain all spring bumper crops.

funny you drive along and every field looks the same for awhile real shitty, then you drive and for awhile crops are better all looking the same more or less. ITS THE WEATHER THAT TELLS 90% of the story.

Comment

Next week were going up to wadena then up to green water then over to Hudson Bay and back down to canora and south.

Comment

Maybe team up with the assassin - you two would make quite the pair

Comment

Points out the difficulty with getting production forecast right.
          Like some others, early seeded canola is finished bloom and looks only a fair crop at best.
          Cereals still look good, especially HRS wheat and barley.
          Our winter wheat was late seeded and thin but has filled in with later tillers still flowering.
          Do not see much in way of insect or disease problems in our area of east Sask, cereals have potential to make up for reduced canola yield.

Comment

The good areas are going to need some rain to Finish this crop or they will be just as bad as the poor areas!!! You can't grop a crop on a couple inches of rain. Poor ground is now showing up and the better ground will be soon to follow.

Comment

There are some canola crops around that look like they have a chance at 45. Personally I'd rather be looking at one that will run 25-30 at least it has a chance at filling. Does anyone remember what the late July rain did in 03. Canola flowered again mid august. What a mess, we made silage, too bad the cows are gone this time around.

Comment

So what are these AFSC or Sask insurance guys going to do when the numbers come in from a pocket that got no rain, but guys a few miles away got it when they needed? Like you said Sask3, there are guys in the same county that are going to get 5 bu canola close to a guy with 40.

Are they sitting in the air conditioning taking it easy right now? Are they going to run the guys with no rain through the ringer because they can't believe there was no rain on a certain farm?

Anyone know what these gov't agencies are discussing right now? Charlie??

Comment

Remember - individual indexes now. In AB anyway. Im sure we have to pass a knife through it hete.

Comment

Let me guess, now the crop ins. co's are gonna screw us too? Who cares what they're thinking. I've never met a bad crop ins. man yet. Question, if someone doesn't trust anyone, should they also be considered un-trustworthy?

Comment

silverback

Not sure what AFSC is doing other than claims are based on individual yield results. I suspect a bigger impact will be farms that are spread over wider areas and have a dogs breakfast of yields.

Realize there are lots of individuals in a severe problems but it is a situation that has to play out. If you wanting to write crop off and use for pasture, etc., have that conversation with your crop insurance representative.

Comment

SF3, how many kilometres do you put on your truck each year. Must be over 60,000. You're a man on the move! As for crop inspecting, I don't wanna look. Environment Canada says 60% chance of a drop or two for the next 4days in Regina. Here's hoping!

Comment

Get lost South Wind!

Comment

rain in forecast for monday
                            but today will take more yield off.
                            a lot of canola is finishing bloom with
                            only 6 inches of pods.
                            later seeded might fare better.
                            everything is going backwards again.

peas , we will have a hard time getting them , single stalks , no tendrils ,8"-12",
                            they will shrink . right to the ground.

rain will only do so much at this point.

Comment

I am reluctant to go looking, I know there is worse, and far worse, than here but when there is better to see it hurts more when I get home. I used to be hopeful for rain, now I am just hopeful for a shot to help fill what is here that won't push this short shit onto the ground and make an already shitty harvest shittier. SF3 you may finally be in Utopia this year. I had my "turns" at what would be considered a good crop for here(but maybe not for some). Not my turn this year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...