• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Well what a week again. Smoke Cough And smoke some more. But the best part of the week for our area was the Saturday surprise. Ok Drew showed our area for rain so was hoping he was going to get it right and it did not miss this time at our driest farm. The wet area did get rain again also. Then a funny shower Tuesday that had water on the back road.
    So Yes the year of the hit and miss showers has got our area. Funny if you go about 10 north of us they have missed every single rain all year maybe 1/2 to 1 inch total. Some fields not even sprayed in crop as WHY would you if it cant rain!
    All the years of floods are helping this year with this crop. Subsoil moisture is still very good. The rain event last Saturday did bring all back and now one rain around exhibition week should do it. We will take the Saturday shower if we can get it.

So here it goes.
    Peas are at waist height and tied together very nice. They got a shot of fungicide about last Monday and with the rain are flowering very nice. bottom pods are starting to fill. One note most farmers in our area dropped peas or took their acreage down due to fact it was one crop that couldn't take water. Our acreage is cut in half from what we use to do. Their a 9 right now and doing very well.
    Canola the crop that I personally call the retard has had a good run this year. Funny when you get rain every night all summer a plant just tries to make seed and die. But when you get rains every few days to weeks it thrives. All guys in our area have awesome canola fields Most are in full bloom or approaching or just about done. No one I know reseeded any so all area are close to the same. Fungicides have been put on by some farmers. Were trying something different this year as a fungicide went on with the last liberty at bolting So far so good. Rest was done at 50% flower or nothing. Time will tell.
    Biggest cabbage I have seen in my years of growing canola. So ill call it a 9 as the only thing bugging me is the cool nights that some have seen. She's a long way to the bin.
    Hrs. and Durum are like holy cow. Big leaves and one thing I do notice is Big heads. Average for area seems to be 15 spikelet's from low fert. guys to 17 on some farms. If they fill 6 to 8 rows should yield very well. Leaf disease is min but we have dew every day for two weeks now. Lots are starting or just finished spraying fungicide on heads. Busy few days.
    Barley is either fully headed on early of just starting on later. Early that was in the dryer area is not as thick as the later in the wetter areas. Fungicides were applied.
    Oats the one crop that we really dropped acreage is doing ok. It was last seeded and up to two weeks ago was getting less showers. But since has received good moisture and is coming along very nice.
    Flax in area is all over from wow to WTF. Most is wow. all flowering.
    Soy, ah soy it loves this year will start flowering either today or Friday. Fungicide was applied a week ago and its a full two weeks ahead of last year.
    Corn is doing ok and one guy has Sorghum. Will keep informed.
    Lentil very few if any fields as water sort of left us all saying good bye to this crop.
    Hay and pasture.
    Most pastures are doing good in areas that received moisture no one is moving animals or worrying. Hay crop will not be like the last few but is going to be ok. Probably 1/2 what the wet years produced. As some had a good second cut.
    So to wrap up the week yes rain makes grain in a normal year. For 10 years we were flooded out and lost a crop around farm progress show week when the skies opened up and 6 to 8 inches fell and just kept going. I have seen drought and it is awful. You look at radar, sky etc. You drive a mile away from your farm and wonder how the F%^K did it rain here on my neighbours. But reality is weather controls our lives and farms in Sask Alberta and Manitoba. Till its in the bin its just a crop. I have said and ill say it again the 2002 crop that was coming was larger in our area than the 2013 crop. It had potential to be our largest crop ever and then on one cool cool night out of the blue it froze from midnight till 7 Am. It stunk from all the dead plants. So yes its a good one but we have a long way to go.
    Remember its just a crop that every one related to Ag. Hope, no praying we get off so that they can get their share of the pie and leave us with the crumbs. So worry about your family and friends and f%^K the rest, be safe and have a good week.

My crops look like shit. Worst ever.

Still at 3 tenths since may 1.

Even a flowering or heading crop needs something to finish.

Everyone here is surprised by how the crop is hanging on. Thinking it's because the chlorophyll is locked in right now.

A couple light showers should act as a desiccant this go round similar to harvest and wake people up.

Comment

Roots are going deep and taking up all the sub moisture. 2016 will be interesting if the blocker doesn't move.
      Alberta finally some one is calling it a drought. Really.

Comment

My summerfallow is in the best shape ever. So dry I don't have to cultivate very often. Easy and cheap this year.

Comment

My crop would look better if I was to start calling it summerfallow.

Comment

SF3,

You must have missed all the drought maps and crop reports... we have been short since last week of May when our planting rains failed.

I would say our Canola is blasting the worst... other crops not bad... Except for the flax which is thin and really needs rain as it does not want to bloom.

Peas and Wheat the best. Fabas have many blooms... not sure how many will abort and not make pods. Knee high on average... weed control is going to be ugly on pulses (Wheat looks great)... we needed a foot more height to get shading. Too late for wild oat respray as out of pre harvest time (75days)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...