• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is roundup ready canola off patent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is roundup ready canola off patent

It seems to me I've read somewhere that RR canola will soon be off patent and generic competitors can start coming in. Does anybody know the timeline for this or am I out to lunch? Herbicide costs are more manageable since some of the old chemistries are generic and it would be great to see a generic option for seed as well

I might be wrong but thought I read somewhere that the seed companies have the patent extended well into the future by some small changes.

Comment

We had this on here a while back I think Tom knew what was going on.

Comment

Thought I heard 2025.

Comment

April 26, 2022

A great website to try www.google.com

Comment

This is way past too important for everyone not to know.

PS I don't know either.

Says a lot for how much farmers know about THEIR business.

Comment

It should have been 2007 but a rule change on patents extended it as it was filed in 2005.

But does any of this matter since its all hybrid anyways?

Comment

Plenty of Peas and Wheat that are public with no levy or royalty. Grow them!!!If you shop now... you can find public Canola for 2016 that is cheap as well if you don't like the value seed co's provide! Just don't expect to get something for nothing!!!
                If you invested vast amounts of resources... you would hope to receive a return for value as well... wouldn't you?

I sure would hope so if I were in their shoes! What is unfair about this?

Comment

But if you plant peas and wheat, how do you expect to harvest canola Tom4CWB?

Comment

give the seed co.s 10 years with the the new seed laws from the conservatives.

and every variety of seed will be locked up tight.
                    when they own everything , genetic material, breeding and replication.

no need for patents then.
                    they will rent you a single use of the seed if you give them your first born child as collateral.

i still can not figure out why tom wants to create the same kind of monopoly in the seed business as he fights with the rail roads.

that makes it a little hard to have
                    a lot of sympathy for his fight.

Comment

Maybe the seed breeders would like to run on our model. You mean I invest zilch in a crop? Boy wouldn't I like to write my own cheque REGARDLESS of what happens...

Oh yea the practical answer is to become one, right?

Comment

He's a seed grower for kreists sakes. He will benefit.

The practical answer once again is to become one, right?

Comment

yeah lets give our publicly owned wheat genome to the seed companies so they can deregister or demote the current varieties and create new ones that are no better and levy big royalties from us for the use of "their" genetics.

Comment

There is going to be a lot of shit that hits the market when this thing gets rolling. They will all be vying for their piece of the freshly baked pie. From a marketing campaign standpoint it will all be better than what came before it but agronomically maybe not so much. Super Seeds coming your way soon, stay tuned.

Comment

Just because GMO's have patent periods; doesn't mean that those protection periods should last forever....just because the creators know they would have additional years of royalties and mandatory technology agreements.

There's nothing unfair, Tom, in having current laws and regulations apply to agribusiness and not just to farm customers.

Thats why there is a conflict of interest in having seed growers promoting agribusiness interests....because it is obvious both of above stand to benefit from their symbiosis with their mutual bedfellows.

Interests that are arguably quite often at odds with a common farmer's long term needs and ability to pay whatever exhorbitant fees and costs are set.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...