• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Well from all those I talk to that farm in western Canada their is a huge area that has issues and a very very small area that actually has not many or none.
    Yesterday at farm progress show one exhibitor said at the end of the day your the only guy who is happy or has a not bad crop that I talked to all day. One guy showed me a picture his wife sent him of his fields from a hail storm yesterday. It didn't rain much in Regina.
    So I guess Ill dedicate this report to Furrow. It is not back to a normal year.
    This week in Ag.
    Well yesterday was the beginning of the Farm Progress Show. Funny the Big old HoneyBee tractor from 1978 was the most spectacular thing I saw. They had the old girl rebuilt and was running. You can even crawl into the cab and have a look around to see what it felt like from the drivers seat.
    Their is some really big equipment. Bourg has a slim Jim and a 1300 bus tank.
    Case Use no fuel. New Holland had a sales teams set up from all dealers in province. Deere is playing catch up with Tanks, Drills and Quads. Cat massey and Gleaner show their new company. Plus lots and lots of other stuff.
    Well what a week of funny funny weather. Both Drew and Environment Canada said 60% chance of Rain. Well I guess it really is 40% chance your not going to get any meaningful rain.
    Hrs in our area is sprayed and is closing in. Lots are wondering their next step. Winter Wheat did have leaf disease but that's winter wheat. Time will tell. Lots did add a Leaf Fungicide to their chemical. We have some Yellowing on ours as the cocktail I used got a little warm. Yes I did make a mistake. Wild oats is dead, Roots are going down just need a little rain to take to next step. I am dropping the rating one point as a rain will be nice before the end of the month to keep the yield potential their. If it is missed by next crop report or the one after that the ratings will start to drop fast.
    Canola Wow it is still moving along nice the rows are closing in we have Cabbage. Some thing our area hasn't seen in 10 years. When your swimming you keep your head up and that's what Canola did in the past bolted to get seed set and die.
    I am leaving our rating for this week but a nice drink will take us well on our way to the next level. I would say were close to what was seen on the weekend by Winnipeg. Maybe their a week ahead. We will have some bolting early next week or by Sunday. I don't want to throw a curse on this crop as Hail is out of control this year when rain actually comes to some. Yesterday is the prime example. Cool funny day and hail with little rain. Reseeded canola in other area I drove through is trying to come up but a couple tents wont move it that far along. Flowering in July heat still doesn't work well if your stressed for water. These new varieties were produced in Wet years time will tell.
    Peas our area still has some of the best pea fields I have seen in all my travels. They need a drink also in the next few weeks to keep them coming along. Flowering will start next week. All are sprayed only issue is don't over spray your peas or double up.
    Flax is also coming very good and some have sprayed or it is the next on their agenda.
    Early barley is Wow and will be thinking about putting out heads next week. Now that is one crop that needs a drink. Trying to head in extreme heat or drought it might not make it out of the boot. Time will tell. Late is filling in nice and is my last stuff to spray.
    Oats is one crop I'm not that happy with as it was seeded later and the farm it is on has had a little less rain than the Inch the rest of our crops got in the two showers. Time will tell but it is slow. Haven't sprayed yet but the burn off did a really good job.
    Soy is up has rows and has been sprayed. Fun to watch this as always.
    Other crops in our area. Winter wheat is headed but has the odd leaf disease issue. Guys who always grow sprayed.
    Corn is up nice rows and coming very good. Burn off worked well not sprayed yet.
    So to sum up the week were sitting nice for now with moisture but could use a drink in the next two weeks. Lots of sub soil that the crops are living off. Stick a knife into the ground and you have mud on the end of the blade.
    Rain makes grain in a year like this. Rain makes mud in the last 10 years where a day like yesterday would have given us 3 plus inches and more today.
    I know the stress level is high in Rural Sask and else where from frosts and drought and hail and rain. It is farming like lots told me over the years so dig down deep and quit complaining. I for one never will say to a farmer quit complaining its farming. Weather is the number one factor that controls a farm. All the stuff at farm progress helps you achieve a good crop if conditions are favorable. You can have the newest best equipment or the oldest mother nature still picks the ones who have good and those who have poor.
    To many organizations and Politicians told Farmers young and Old that the new norm for Agriculture in Canada was the last five Years or more.
    Well Mother Nature still is the Ultimate Bitch in charge.
    So be safe and careful its only a farm that the markets wont ever pay fair money for your troubles. Family is first and the farm should be second or third.
    I hope, No Pray that you all get a rain soon to even this crop out across all of western Canada. Have a great week.

Farm Weather station had us at over plus 3 all night some areas did get cold.

Comment

Caught a half inch yesterday afternoon in a series of showers that lasted 1 1/2 hours, heavy then light, repeat, straight down. I'll take it for now, not bragging/not complaining.

Alright for pulses and oilseeds, wheat looks orange, sick with disease and these type of showers won't help that. Not sure it's worth it to go all in with wheat. I think "take what we can get", will rule the day. Wheat's a looser anyway.

Comment

crops are real nice here , was able to get spraying again on wed. after 2 " on weekend . spraying about 2/3 complete on our farm . crops seem slow though with lack of heat . have one quarter of flax seeded on canola ground struggling a bit from whatever canola stubble does to it ? anyone know a good snake oil we could spray on it , that might help the toxitity effects of canola on flax seedlings ?

Comment

Always enjoy your uber detailed, and well put together friday crop report on thursday, and your dedication week to week.

In our area, we need heat to move stuff along, as compared to you, we are FAR behind in development. We are in good shape thankfully for the next while, it has just been cool, which has help development back somewhat. I do think it is the first time in a long time though, to see canola getting those nice big leaves of yore.

Cereals look really good, canola looks good, flax looks poor, but it is in that stage right now. Hardly any peas around. Fabas, I dunno what they should look like for now, but the plants are there, just slow as heck. Nodules forming, and a nice dark green at least. Hay and pasture responded to the rain to an extent, but it still won't be great. Probably cut some next week, which is early for here, but it moved through the stages funn this year without a lot of leaf mass etc..

I admit, we are sitting very fortunate here over all. First time I could say that in a long time.

Hoping y'all get your required shot in the arm this week...

Comment

its not toxicity caseih, and no there isn't a spray. Although i'm sure Ohmex has a fantastic 15$ soultion for you.

http://www.agannex.com/protection/mycorrhizae-in-crop-rotations

Comment

Or you can try 2ltr/ ac alpine G 22 or Kuglar 6-24-6 for about $3 /ac , leave a strip and not break the bank .

Comment

Probably doesn't need more phosphate, its the phosphate uptake in the roots that is the problem.

But my assumption is he fertilized the peas properly which may be incorrect. But why would you grow peas and not put phos down? Craziness.

Comment

Up till last year we used tagteam only - ave well over 50 bus plus every year for the past 8 till the root rot hit us last year . Agree Phos should be put with peas at seeding but not bone jaring nesesary in all cases .

Comment

It would seem that the #drought15 area is perhaps getting smaller. My little corner of e. Central ab is still in very tough shape. There is a chance that the drought could break in the next couple days, but i dont put much credence in e.c's forecasting abilities as of late. If it did decide to rain, about 40% of my crop still stands a chance of being slightly above average, 10% could still make average, but the other 50% is debateable. Its been a month and a half since seeding wrapped up and there are still significant chunks with nothing growing, weeds included. The rest is anywhere from preliminary flag leaf to just popping out of the ground. Its beginning to look more and more like green feed. I would consider myself to be fortunate in the area as some farmers are contemplating blowing out significant acres of canola and mustard. Most peas are ankle bone height and lentils are going to need vaccums rather than flex headers.

Makes you want to drink... come to think of it, its after 12:00! Cheers

Comment

Not sure when peas will try flowering but stil boottop tall. Early barley looking good but I suspect yield capped even IF rains. Going to flag next week. Wheat looks ok but can only sit still so long. Looking green only cuts it so long and they'll switch to seed production.
                      Canola, even the best is smaller than should be. Fields from road look fine to can't see it at all.
                      Still time to retrieve mediocre yields.
                      Spraying cereals now with some expensive but mostly cheapest depending on location. Liberty canola next week later.
                      Sales levels in all the people we support has gone to zero in area.

Comment

Pretty sure canola stubble is toxic to flax with a twenty five or thirty percent yield reduction is what a rep told me

Comment

Yes the is a toxin put out by canola roots that effects flax

Comment

thanks tweety, interesting . we knew of this problem but wanted to put a half section together . half on wheat stubble , half on canola stubble . we annhydrosed all of it last fall . put authority on wheat side none on canola side . we wondered if authority compounded the problem ? we also done a 50 ac test strip in middle of canola with granular jump start , no diff ? it's looking not to bad now after 2" rain .

Comment

furrow , you think it would help ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...