• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988-- Anybody Remember?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988-- Anybody Remember?

Was just looking at record highs. I know some on here were still swinging nut to nut, but it does bring back memories. The year we dug dugouts in every deep slough, in desperation that it would rain and snow some day to have a reserve. So frickin hot sc****rs shut it down at noon, they were overheating. That is the year it lasted all of June. So dam dry gophers would pack a lunch to get across the pasture. I know it is dry now in some places, but throw in that 36-40 C everyday, along with 30 k winds, and for some on here it would be an eye opener. **** am I getting old.

RM built roads across marshes that were dry, never been dry since. We had a dugout dry to the 14 foot, made great road. Hot hot and windy, must have been omega block. 16 bu of wheat and canola, 24 bu of barley.

Comment

Double swathed everything and just parked the grain truck at the end of the field, which ever combine filled it had to empty it.We were running two pull combines and it always seemed it was me who had to empty the truck( don't think my father was always emptying his combine). Seeing that once in a lifetime is enough Thank You very much...

Comment

I guess one thing i do find amazing in our are alot were still half in half, and yes we still grew a whopping 18-20 wheat. Direct seed is a way to conserve moisture, and already rumor has it crops are being written off. WTF?

Comment

But the quality was good. Ha!

Comment

Protein was away high but the farmer were not getting paid for it yet...wheat was badly shrunken but do not remember what the weight was like.

Comment

Grasshoppers were eating evergreens and paint off the house. When cows walked in pastures the ground looked like it lifted with hoppers.

Comment

Honestly, it was one of those really good years here. It was the year before my dad died, his last crop. I remember playing catch in the yard on the record warmest day for this farm, 38.9C. But it was a dry heat... lol.

I wish I knew yields, but all the old guys here, say it is the closest they came to losing bushels to dry weather in history. 2001-2003 were similar. Close to too dry, but in the end, stellar crops. I married a girl from Regina, and she said the hoppers were thick down there that year.

I do know that making hay was a pleasure for this area, because it took so little time to dry.

Comment

Easy to remember. Was my very first crop. 22 bpa wheat on summerfallow. That was a good yield for the area, lots went 10.. Think I sold it for around $3 bux.. Never phased me as i didnt know any different yet. To young and dumb

Comment

How's things your way jdgreen?

Comment

just grew wheat that year. averaged 15 bushels an acre. highest temperature we had was 42 degrees in early june. cooked the crop. it rained half way through harvest and swathed crop was on the ground so it sprouted. sold it for feed. forget the price, but is wasn't much. crop insurance was busy that year. many didn't pull the combine out. they might have been the lucky ones.
                      what a blast that year was.

Comment

Wheat yields were 12-30 bpa depending if u got the one rainshower that summer. Recall storm clouds rarely dropped rain. Grasshoppers were so hungry they stripped off shelterbelts around yards. At least there was no lawn to cut that year. Driest year i can recall.

Comment

Wheat 4-10. One farm went 15.

Yellow mustard went 10 but it was is 2 or 3 different stages. seeded it 3 inches deep. It came up in 4 days. Soil temps were very high.

Comment

I remember riding back to the farm trying to get home before a mile high cloud of soil swept though infront of a storm. The entire western sky was a rolling black wall of dirt. The memory is burned into my mind forever.

Comment

I bet the current conditions would get a little more attention if that was happening today.

They could report the positive changes in agriculture that prevent those dust clouds from happening today.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...