• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe we need it to stay dry to hurry this crop along!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we need it to stay dry to hurry this crop along!

Furrow is maybe right to think that this year isn't normal. Hell our total rainfall since break up is one inch. Yep that's what I wanted in may after seeding but were past the mid point in June. This blocking pattern is a worry to me. The USA is getting all the moisture and they can have it. Floods don't make grain and they will learn that lesson come fall. DAH why the low yields in the USA, Ah its called fricking rain.
    Any way I digress. Flooding is awful and I never wish it on any one but the amount of area that's dry in the west is large and last weeks pathetic rainfall really didn't do much as it was hit and miss rain. 3 inches here ten miles south nothing at all.
    So why am I saying maybe it should just warm up and speed this crop along. Its the fact that when a cold front comes in the temps drop real fast and like two nights ago frost comes into the picture.
    This year reminds me of the 2002 crop year. We had the makings in our area of a crop that would make some of your 2013 crops look small. Wheat heads that were awesome and thick crops with every thing coming into play. Canola that looked so thick nothing would make it through the field and then on first week of August a cold front pushed in and BAM! We were done. It stunk the next morning. Some higher ground missed the frost or the canopy and elevation saved it other flat land whole sections had SFA.
    That year every shower hit our area and the crop had roots. Similar to this year is its showers no general rain.
    But again its how fast and how cool it can get in such a quick amount of time.
    Time will tell if this is the final outcome for 2015 but unless that blocker moves out quick I don't see much in the way of improvement.
    Cool nights after each rain event and NW wind all I can say is WTF.
    Ah farming where you just don't know what's around the next corner.

I was warned this spring not to get my hopes up if i sowed a crop, because it works out to be a Shmita year. Maybe i should of listened. Now i know you are going to google it, I know i had too. LOL

Comment

Oy Vey!

I didn't know that one!

Comment

Good one Saskfarmer, good one. Lmao

Comment

Bullshit.... before the farmers showed up to farm the Prairies, Mother Nature never "took a year off"!!!

Comment

If we don't start to see some rain, it won't matter one way or the other much!!!

Comment

Besides whats the rush, except for maybe reseeded stuff, we are ahead of last year at this time.

Comment

It's my comparison to 2002 which blessed se with rain and others the same shit as this year and then it froze in early August! It looks a lot like that year! That's why I'm saying push it along!

Comment

Yesterday we were 5.3C below normal for our high and 4.1C below normal for our low. With a true el nino, I think we should be having above normal temps, less than normal rainfall, long open fall.
                  Worried about early frost if we are on the dry side.

Comment

The bad frost came in 2004, wasn't it? or did you have it in'02 & '04

Comment

02 and 04.

Comment

02 and 04 both early but 02 the crop that was coming made 2013 look small! Early August all over and it stunk! High ground did have very decent crop low flats nothing but straw! 04 no better actually worse as it froze long and hard!

Comment

The smeitah is a 4000 year old covenent that the land is to be given a break or sabath every seven years. Its not only a smeitah year its the 7th smeitah year making 2015/16 a jubilee year or super smeitah. When all debts are to be realeased and land returned to rightful family even if sold. We have had stock market crashes and dry years every previous 7 years. 2008 crash, 2001 dot com bust, 1994 bond bubble burst, 1987 stock market crash....

This is also said to be the 70th jubilee year or 70 sets of 7s that Daniel prophetically warned about in the bible. Drought, famines, war...

On top of this its the year of the four tetrads or bloodmoons (lunar eclipse) that all land on jewish feast days. An extremely rare event said to mark the beginning of tribulation.

Not a good omen for our crops.

Comment

1980,86 and 88 were dry years in our area. We were spraying hoppers, killing voles and cutworms -and swathing before August. But in those years we were thankful for early maturity because by Mid August- Boom, killing frost, then rain, rain, rain. Those with #1 lentils were buying new half-tons.

P.S. Nights are cold in the desert. That's why you need a good Ol mare to keep you warm. Just happen to have a few for sale? LOL

Comment

at least you never said a good old Nag to keep you.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...