• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mustardman-spicy topic

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mustardman-spicy topic

I assume you have some experience and knowledge with mustard. What's happening in the traditional area? Acres, crop condition, carryover, etc. Yellow, Oriental and Brown.
    Is the yellow market going to explode if there is a big production problem?

None close to me But I am guessing they look like the canola which is dismal.(although we got our first spring rain tonite7/10 )

I think mustard prices should stay strong ,I'm not selling my 2014 brown overage till we see what shakes out.

Comment

Yellow bids are fairly strong right now and have been creeping up. Some reports stating 40 cents for #1. I'd like to color sort my yellow, cleaver problem. Alot will come out with the right sized round hole screen but still too many in close to the same size as the mustard.

Comment

A bit of traditional swung over to the DARK Side (canola) and guys soon found out that the costs that come with canola mean the net result is Less profit than lower yielding mustard.
        But once acres have had canola on them it takes a few years to be able to go back in with a mustard

Comment

One year yellow hit $.70 a pound, (2000 or 2001). I was lucky I had some kicking around.
          This could be a year like that

Comment

I used to have a couple of quarters dedicated to yellow mustard in rotation. It can be a good speculative crop to sit on if you can afford to. But since, cleavers are getting to be a problem here, we never used to have them. I think Authority might have or is working on minor use registration for cleavers in mustard. Don't know for sure if its control or only suppression.

Comment

What about spiral cleaner.

Comment

Hmmmm, 70 cents a lb., $35/bu sounds appetizing. :-)

Comment

I think the cleavers are too round to separate out with a spiral cleaner, but don't know. Good for buckwheat. Anyone know?

Many different uses for mustard. If its milled into flour or processed does a bit of cleavers matter? If it isnt whole seed market.... The tolerances are almost unattainable for inseparables, much like fusarium in the top grades of wheat....

Comment

one year had a lot of wild mustard in yellow ,sold it to Viterra on condition it could be brought up To a 1. Number 1 was worth quite a bit more than lower grades

Comment

No.1 mustard....the only crop where the dockage determines the grade.

A tenth of a percent inseparable material (eg. grasshopper manure or any round material that can't be screened out) used to mean a significant percentage is stolen for more dockage. And not just a few percent more.

Forget it if you have grown canola or have wild mustard etc. etc.; but its worth a good price in the right years.

Comment

Anyone know what color sorting costs?

Comment

A cleaner can take alot of wild mustard out of yellow as the wild is much smaller seed.
                          If conditions create a small yellow mustard seed size then separation from wild is very tough if not impossible.

Comment

mustard, same with the cleavers, but some cleaver seeds are bigger and hard to get out. I am sure tonnes are color sorted but not for the Producer's benefit. I've seen ads in the papers for "offgrade" mustard. Bet I know what they're doing.

Comment

Dave4111, chime in about the color sorting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...