• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Well another week into the crop and still lots are looking for one thing its called rain. For us we have been fortunate this year and have received over a inch of moisture which helped push plants and got the last few that didn't germinate to make it out of the ground.
    Funny this report when it first started was to show the Prov. that their reporters knew shit all about crop reporting and made every thing seem wonderful. One thing I have noticed is farmers like it when every thing is going great and don't like to talk about bad crop conditions.
    When I shared what was happening in our area during the wet years this thread always had way more awesome areas than ours. It was nice to see that that their was hope. That hope came from other farmers good luck. You kept hoping yours would finally come around from their good stories.
    But like I have said from the very beginning its mother nature that lets you get a bumper, average, normal or wiped right off the face of the map.
    Any one who has been at this for a long time knows deep down we all have seen it some time before and it eventually does come around. Hang in their rain will happen some time soon.
    Ok here is the week that was.
    Most farmers have all finished seeding in our area except for the land that I stated all year might have no farmer. It is still weeds from one end to the other in-between some real nice crops.
    One guy yesterday fired up the combine on his oats from last fall. He sprayed it 14 days ago to kill all weeds and harvested the swath oats yesterday. Man it ran good don't know about grade but it was dry.
    Ok HRS is all up in area and moving fast. Most have finished first spray and wondering if a fungicide will be needed later. Its growing rapidly and for us its days away from hitting the Anhydrous.
    Canola is also moving fast. Some fields are close to the rows closing in and then this thing we haven't seen is 10 years called Cabbage. When your sitting in mud the plant just bolts and flowers. Some will be flowering by Farm Progress Friday. Late seeded has rows and the rain helped all the seeds germinate or start. Canola right down to the edge of the sloughs is another funny thing this year. Second spray taking place on early and first in crop on late. Plants growing fast so guys are moving fast.
    Flax is up in rows and looks like wow in terms of every thing. Lots will spray on first cooler day.
    Barley is up and going. Early escaped all the cold nights and doing the best. Later was slow getting going and now is coming along nice.
    Oats is up and growing. Similar the early is great the later is slow but coming.
    Soy is up and has rows which is funny last year we finished seeding today and that was our soy.
    Corn for the guys who seed for feed or seed is up and looks good.
    Peas wow is all I can say. Burnt is better than the ones that where not. Nice thick and tall. All have been sprayed and next is a fungicide next week. They will be flowering if the heat and odd rain happen in one week to 10 days.
    So in a nut shell our area is still doing fine. The heat is pushing the plants that got established and the rain showers have germinated the seeds. Spraying is in full force.
    Pastures are Ok and so is hay land but not great by any means. This hay crop will be very small. Very small.
    Next week is the Farm Progress Show something I enjoy and take in no matter how Bad the crop was on our farm. Some times you just need to get away and not look at it. Funny thing last fall I said if we don't have a more normal year of less water the farm was going. It came down to days of selling out. But it came down to its farming in Canada and I enjoy it so hopefully it cant continue and we can grow another day.
    So to all those who need rain I hope, Pray you get yours. Have a wonderful day and most of all be safe its only a crop and your family back home is way more important. The three pigs will be their to buy your crop for pennies any day of the week.

One thing I forgot to mention. Some of us posted for years when the floods hit and hurt our crop. It was to show whats actually happening on their. Yes some of you on here did post back it cant be that bad it doesn't rain that much in one place etc etc.
    Its a crop report of our area and others so please share your area people do read this thread.

Comment

If it rains too much, as least you get some seed for next year.

Comment

i like to look on the bright side of things. I wont have to hunting this fall, the wolves will be at the door!

Comment

Pretty grim in our area. We are spraying durum. Not sure it makes any sense. I Guess we're not quite ready to give up yet. Some around the neighborhood seem to have given up. Probably a better choice then spraying. Rain now would do wonders, without rain in the next few days it will be next year country.

Comment

SLOW growth around here, and I am not sure why. Warm and roots in moisture. Very little in crop spraying done if any. Crops look ok, but when it does rain, I have concerns about a real mixed bag on the staging. But we are at the point where I almost hope it doesn't rain for say a week, so that the bigger stuff that germed immediately, is far enough ahead of the dry seeds, that it won't matter anymore.

Faba beans slowest. A bit worrisome. Then I read it can take 21 days to emerge! Course on a dry year, I go whole hog on a moisture loving crop! lol. Barley looks good, wheat looks good, canola is better than when it was first emerging, not great, but it is there. Guys are planning on spraying as late as possible, because there are almost no weeds, what is there is weak, and if you spray too early, and get a rain, it will be a mess.

Getting some forage oats to seed next week so our sheep will have food for winter. Hay crop is terrible. Very glad I never wasted cash on fertilizer for this year. Pasture much better than hay for whatever reason. Gotta get building my fences.

We do not need rain, crops are late and small and slow, except a rain would have been nice to pay for my shallow seeding sinfulness a week ago. When I dig in the soil, it is dry in the top inch, and then nice wet mud below that.

I just hope the crops get going more. I can not put my finger on the slowness considering the conditions. It never froze here at all, and yet they are slow to me.

Might head to farm progress. For my sons to climb around and look. I lost interest long ago, looking at machinery and gadgetry and technology that I probably will never own for 25 years, and can not pencil in in any way, is not exciting to me. But I do it for my boys. I admit, I am awestruck by some stuff, mad at other stuff, aggravated by so much useless stuff. The most cool thing to me? Don't laugh, please. But I always find the most cool thing there, the shiny, black tires on the machinery, that are so clean and black, they look like plastic wheels on my 1/64 toys. I just always marvel at those clean, clean tires... Don't laugh. That is my take away from the show these days. The clean, shiny, fake looking tires. Hope that is not too cynical, but it just doesn't do it for me. Expensive, plastic coated iron, just doesn't float my boat. I feel like a nerd saying it, but surely I am not the only one??? lol

Comment

freewheat, my farmshow often is the wrecker lol. For some reason i love walking down the rows seeing how stuff looks on the inside and how it wears. How different manufacturers approach solutions from different angles.

Comment

I used to feel the same way as freewheat. Im now of the age where i can appreciate some of the new stuff for what it is.

Crops. Not a wreck yet. But by end of month i may not want rain anymore.
                Cereals stalled out at 4 leaf . Peas stalling out at workboot height.
                Canola still no bigger tha a toonie at best.
                Soil at root zone clumps but crumbles easy and wont smear. Just dark dirt. 2 inches rain would disappear in a couple hours.

The longest faces are the salesman so far. 02 taught us a lot. Made more money that year than in 05 or 09. Its not nearly that cut and dryed yet sadly.

Comment

Annual ryegrass got pretty beat up with sleet, snow and then frost. It's struggling back.

Barley has recovered and looks good.

HRS wheat the same. All were sprayed this week. Last week didn't seem like a good idea as crops still seemed stressed.

Canola is fighting back from frost and flea beetles. We reseeded about a third of our acres. We're probably average in that regard for the area.

Soybeans are so far the shining star. They're growing like mad. Emergence was fast.

Comment

Just flax left to spray. Everything is progressing. Would still like to see a rain. Frost and bug chewed canola recovered with reduced potential, as I said before, satisfied but not happy with it(happy it recovered though).

Braveheart, isnt soy BOTH a heat and moisture lover? How will it fair in droughty conditions?

Comment

Even as dry as it has been - in general here other than one rain - root rot showing up in peas . Hard to believe but it's back - again. So far just a few low spots . We will be checking various seed and herbicide treatments and plots later today/ tomorrow .

Comment

furrow , what do you see first , does plant just die ? haven't grown peas for years

Comment

Farmaholic, beans are loving our heat. We're above normal in temp and precip. Re drought and beans, I have no experience, but those little hairs on the plants look like they would keep the evaporation rate lower than canola.

Comment

Our hay crop is anywhere from frosted crap to why is this so good?

One trial we're doing involves .75 liter/acre of Lignohumate on a hay crop. it was really to see if it would improve feed value. Unexpected, the alfalfa has gotten thick and VERY rapid growing.

Comment

East of braveheart in the valley crops doing great. Moisture adequate to surplus. Winter wheat heading out, spring cereals beginning to elongate. Canola generally good to excellent, some suffering effects of frost, beatles and too much moisture. Beans fantastic. Nothing seems to phase this crop, unlike the ugly sister. Very few canola acres in the area, king beans trumps queen canola.

Braveheart. Beans hate drought. Will stop growing and wait for rain. Crop will end up short, and will need an air reel to push them over the cutterbar.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...