• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain, Rain

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain, Rain

Where's the rain. Nothing and there's nothing till maybe Friday. We will be fk by then!!

Southern Alberta. 31 with 50-70km winds

Comment

Thank goodness we "had" decent subsoil moisture. But our light land won't have the reserves of the heavier stuff. Things are still hanging on and there were no germination issues. Sooner or later we are going to need a drink as well. I think it would give everything a bit of a boost here. May as well spray the weeds that came up with the crop.

We've had 1.91 inches since early April, since seeding we've had about a third of and inch and about a quarter of an inch three separate times.

Funny how it can go from "crap I wish it would stop raining to holy crap we could use some rain. What a difference a year can make on the Canadian Prairies.

How are other's doing?

Comment

We had rain in forevast for next wknd.
        That dryed up this am. All talk of sprayinv has stopped. Cc pairs going down. Hay going up. 2 weeks max away from writing some off.
        Starting to tell lawyers ill pay them in trade. They dont its funny.

Comment

I would be pretty worried if I was a speculator caught with pants down . there gonna have to pay some of last years huge profits back to us ! hopefully there's something left to sell . sure haven't had much in the NE of sask

Comment

If I remember correctly SF3 stated several times in the past that rain does not make grain. So, we should all thank our lucky stars that we haven't been cursed with that this year. Our bins should be busting this fall, if this keeps up. Normal??

Comment

caseih, are we not getting paid fairly from the market ornthe merchandisers? There is a difference.

Comment

The roots are going down, right? That's a good thing, deep roots, and pockets, too, Farmaholic. AgriStability should trigger this year, all you big margin guys!

Comment

East south east Alberta. About 30% of the farm has had about a half inch in two separate rains since April 2nd. The rest pretty much nothing. Guess we are going to spray some crop, not sure it makes any sense to do it but we are going to start Monday morning. We had good subsoil moisture and for the most part we have heavy land. We had good germination and the crop is hanging on. Don't know how it can last.

Comment

SDG, The roots may have to reach down deeper than my pockets are!!! ;-O

Comment

Not saying it won't happen but drought outside Palliser triangle is less likely.
                      Would seem like good business practice after generally good moisture years in triangle to take advantage of crop insurance and Agristability.
                      Maybe too late for this year but multi year drougth and wet are harder to take.
                      Naysayers and government opponents have given both programs worse reputations than deserved.

Comment

Unfortunately we may have to test it, Hopalong.

Comment

farmaholic , I'd say both . look at the profits of the big boys last 2 years ? you think they gave you your share ? they use any excuse to drop price or hold it down . this whole market horseshit is a joke . I'm not hearing a whole lot about this western prairie drought are you ? they have us buffaloed into signing these horseshit contracts where they have no risk whatsoever . yes , and the farmer knows the risk when he signs it , but unfortunately what other option is there if you want to deliver grain . just 2 weeks ago there was lots of talk on here that canola prices couldn't go up because of soy? well guess what it did and it's just getting started . why should the farmer always have to take the hit.

Comment

Great points Caseih.

The canola vs soybean spread is now something to watch, soybeans don't seem to be holding back now that there is production concerns in western Canada.

Comment

I thought Western Canadian production didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Especially to the domestic crushers. ;-}

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...