• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A costly 48 hrs...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A costly 48 hrs...

Should get reseeding done by tonight
    Between last Friday morning and Sunday afternoon we had near drought conditions - frost - more dry winds that killed struggling damaged canola - heavy hail then a flooding 1/2 hr rain.
    Although the moisture was welcome , the rain/ hail actually hit everything that never froze from Friday morning .
    We are leaving about 1/3 of the canola that should be ok , the wheat finally started to regrow today and 1/2 the peas still don't know wtf hit them lol.
    Those just south of the river need rain bad now -
    Over the past 4 days I have seen as much different types of frost / crop damage and variations of each as I have seen in 20 years . This is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out .
    And yes Tom - sometimes reseeding is nesesary - lol , never say never

I have been in your shoes before a few times the worst was 99 I think when 2/3 of the crop was reseeded with a disc drill and it did turn out but that fall we had a open fall till October. Lots of sleepless nights as temps fell in Sept. the others I should of went fishing. Some times you win some times you lose. Hopefully the weather in your area straitens out no farmer needs consecutive wrecks in a row.

Comment

furrow, you've posted often about frost hurting canola, and about some very low temps being recorded. But I haven't noticed you or any others, experiencing those conditions, speak of damage to the pea crop. Prior to the hail storm, were the pea crops untouched by the frost? are they that much more hardy than canola and barley? Just wondering, as your in a fairly big pea growing area.

Comment

Yup, peas are hardy, and if they do get toasted, their growing point is below the soil, so they will bounce back. Hence you seed peas first, and canola closer to last in frost prone areas.

Comment

I am not exactly sure what happened to the faba beans. They froze black! I was looking down rows 100 feet long all turned black. I went back 3 days later its like it never happened! Without pictures I would never believe it. No signs of dead leaves or dead plants. Very strange but thankfully it looks like they will continue to grow

Comment

Neighbour has Fabas in as well - seeing the exact same thing - they happy - peas sad lol

Comment

Peas here that have been froze are coming back ok now , the peas froze and hailed on need a shot of nutrient / tilt to get them going and prevent loss in yield potential. They could see a 20-50% yield loss if not looked after shortly

Comment

It's a different management style over here. I don't help crops. If they are not strong enough to be a crop, they become fertilizer.

Comment

Well some of the peas smell like silage lol

Comment

This spring certainly has been character building, if not soul destroying. At least with frost and drought the fertility should still be there next year and my weed control bill is getting cheaper by the day. My organic crops are also clean as a whistle. Canola in the bin is gaining value by the day.

Comment

Hobby, how do your fabas look overall? Mine took/are taking an age and a half to emerge. Cold soil? Large seed? Did you see the same thing? What is there looks great, but lots are still just poking or just below the surface yet.

Three weeks today.

Comment

My faba are the same. I think they sucked an inch of soil moisture just to germinate. Best place on the field is where we've been driving on them all spring near the yard.

Comment

hmmm. Mine are not moisture starved at all, just S L O W!

Funny little plant when they emerge. Just kind of an immediate cluster of leaves, hey?

Comment

First time for me so i know very little. Yes a cluster of leaves. I planted on beach sand in may. I went 4 inches deep with half worn down spikes so the boots on seeder would leave the seeds in the trench. Then heavy harrowed.
                            10 days later i put sweeps on the cultivator, then went back and cultivated 2 inches deep. Then I left it. It will be what it is. On this stuff i am hoping for s crop to harvest the seed for plowdowns.
                            Phase 2 happened last week, i planted them on definite plowdown land, 2 inches deep. I waited 6 days and started to pass the rodweeder. Then.....the rodweeder brokedown, wheel bearing. So a full day of searching for obsolete bearings and a day of shipping and repair. Now the beans have made an upward sprout. So i am on my knees searching to see how much the damage will be.
                            Definitely the rodweeder will kill some, but only the weak ones!
                            I just realized I dont need a good partsman. I need an archeologist!
                            Next year, seed 25% heavier and an in h deeper.
                            Worst case scenario, it will all be plowdown. Best case scenario, i will have enough faba beans harvested to use for plowdown in the future.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...