• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reports of reseeding as high as 1.2 mill acres!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reports of reseeding as high as 1.2 mill acres!

Just chatted with a rep in the seed business and it seems all the sheds are empty and another million acres of seed is being bagged and sent out. Reports all over the place of guys reseeding. One guy I know is doing around 10000 of canola and another large operator is doing 22000 acres. These are guys every one hears but how many smaller operators are reseeding and then how many are leaving and saying enough is enough.
    Frost advisories on the next two night for some areas environment Canada has said.
    So 8% or more of the projected crop is being reseeded! Add a error factor for guys who gave up didn't check or gone fishing of 2%.
    That puts 10% of the crop in not good shape or very late which has other implications.
    Then add in drought reduced production.
    Now the U.S. Did something on biofuel that also helped.
    Lots of guys I know are reseeding and going hard at it. If your dry and missing the rains your germination will be low till a good rain.
    So in reality does the market get the severity of this or is it a oh we will let time heal all.
    All I know is it's a huge production cut for canola first week of June. Now the other thing the seed that is going out are long season canola seed so basically need frost free till last week of sept.
    Time will tell what the number really is for reseeding but for now it's high.

As crappy as it is that MB and SK have some reseeding taking place we are still 2 weeks ahead of 5 year averages. Ya it sucks but really no need to panic. But I know that's all you know

The dryness in alberta and west sask is far more than 1.2 million acres affected.

Comment

My richardson guy today said they alone sent out 500 000 acres worth of seed.

Should be some impact continuing on prices if the crushers want to stay open. Canola council may well revise their lofty dream of 52 BPA in western Canada. lol

Comment

Tandem it's a thread about reseeding I'm not panicking sorry to disappoint you man. Just stating a fact.

Comment

For Dekalb and Pioneer customers, free reseed.

Comment

For customers of CPS using Proven Seed, replacement seed is also free.

Huge, really unbelievable reseeding here. Around Pilot Mound some fields have been seeded 3 times.

North of Hwy 16, and especially around Roblin and Russell, 100% reseed.

Most of the acres will still be here though. I doubt reseed will end up being a market mover at this time. Soyoil, the EPA and biodiesel mandate, and USD values may have more effect. Perhaps El Niño and lack of monsoons as well.

Comment

Good thinig there wasn't a seed "shortage" this year.

Comment

never was or will never be a shortage of seed especially when customers will pay so much for it. hell they can give it for free thats gotta say something eh.

Comment

Seed shortage? Wait til next year. Oh, our warehouses were empty at the end of the previous seeding season. Better hope the "seed" production doesn't get hailed out or some other out of their control event doesn't happen to it. I smell an increase in canola seed prices next year. Full sarcasm and cynicism intended.

Comment

well maybe its a good thing actually. its great to see the seed cos step up and share the risk.

Comment

Honestly and seriously , if Seed Cos are providing "free" replanting seed. They do deserve a bouquet. Nice to see them ease the pain a bit for those who decided to reseed.

Comment

Is canola that only thing that was frosted enough to need re-seeding or are cereals needing reseeded too?
                        Sounds like guys are pretty attached to canola despite it's expensive seed, pest problems and lack of frost tolerance.

Comment

We had a bit of wheat more advanced than the canola. It "looks" unphased as do the peas that were poking out as well.

Comment

Bayer and I believe pioneer only cover half cost to reseed.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of this cheap canola seed will get planted in the corner of the shed. If you catch my turbulence.

Over & Out

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...