• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Normal Weather, and local conditions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Normal Weather, and local conditions

A few posters here arguing about what is normal weather. None of us have been alive long enough to know what normal weather is, and records are too short to know either. From my limited research, it would appear that Palliser's interpretation of the prairies was likely closer to normal than the wet pattern we have been in basically since homesteading started. But if you take a longer time frame, normal is to be under 2 miles of ice, 90% of the time. So I figure it is easier to adapt to the wet dry cycles, than glaciation.

Locally, the weather has been anything but normal this spring. Spring came months early, the mud season barely even existed, even though we had plenty of snow. We have had a bit of moisture, but nothing now that we need it. Pastures were growing in April, and even March, but lately are barely growing. Turned off heat on the stock waterers in early March, then started getting killing frosts in most of May. Not one volunteer canola plant, they all must have froze. Tops of the grass is all frozen,dandelions froze in mid May. People were seeding in April, hearing of some horror stories of reseeding.
    To start with, I was sympathetic with SF3, grateful not to have to deal with mud, seeding entire fields, a pleasant change compared to the last decade. But as of now it is getting scary. Any ground I had to work deep is now bone dry and not germinating. Never seen that happen on this ground. Normally just need to get seed somewhere near the soil and let the incessant rains do the rest, this year depth and packing are actually vital. Usually I avoid compaction at all costs, I won't even dry the pickup truck across a field for the damage it does, this year it looks like I should have rolled everything.

Would have been much easier to transition to being dry if not for having just finished such a wet year, with ruts, compaction and weeds to deal with.

I've travelled a bit the past few days and this is widespread, people are already worrying about pasture and feed, crops have stalled out if they germinated at all.

2002 and 2003 were bad here, but at least we started out with very good moisture, with cold late wet springs. They keep putting rain in the forecast then removing it, just like 2002, seems to be the pattern.

We don't need much rain to grow a crop, and the better land that was direct seeded is looking excellent right now. but later seeded lumpy clay is looking very depressing. Never had trouble germinating here, at least in my memory. Neighbors on lighter land in 2002 had crops not germinate till August though.

Realistically, this is the type of year I have been gearing towards, thinking that this is likely closer to average than the wet extremes we have been in, but some advance notice would have been helpful. And a little more time to transistion. Last year at this time we had artesian wells on every hillside..... Now this.

Ahh, 2002 and 2003. Record years for yields on this farm. Thanks for giving me hope.

Again, I do not wish ill on others, but if it is an 02 or 03, we will be stellar in this area.

Comment

2002 and 2003 weren't so terrible here. in 2002 we did get .9 on July 10 but in 2003, we had nothing. Hay crops were still very good, pastures were almost adequate. Grain crops were mediocre, could have been much better if we weren't still fighting the previous years battles, preparing for much too wet. Silaged or baled most of the grain those years. We took a drive from home ( Far west of Red Deer) to Manitoba and back and our farm looked the best of anything we saw until we got to Manitoba. That was a depressing trip.

Comment

Normal or minimums? If you get a few timely rains even 3 or 4 inches rain can make an ok crop. But this not raining at all, that's not normal. One look at precip maps will tell you that.

Comment

Thunderstorm dropped between 7 tenths to an inch of rain last night here in SW-SC Sask. Since April 1 we have had the good fortune to receive anywhere between 3.5- 4.5 inches across the farm. Some yellowing of canola from frost but seems to be recovering. Rain came from the west last night but most usually hits us circling up from the south. 2002 was good production in this area as this same pattern existed that year as well. 12 inches of rain last fall has the water table very high and crops are doing well. Normal weather, who the hells to say whats normal. Don't know why anybody would attempt to classify weather as normal. 35 years of farming and the weather has been different each and every single year. Roll with it gentlemen, she can be a real bitch, as we all have been witness

Comment

You must be south of me around HWY 54 Alberta Farmer5? Seems that was about the line where the wet stopped last year.
            Ruts aside I don't think it's harder to transition from a wet year to a dry year than dry to drier. It's like gas in your fuel tank - are you better off in year two if you start 75% full or 25% full?

Comment

Grass Farmer,
              Yes, north of hwy 54. Although I don't know what line there was. Neighbors 1/2 hour North of me said their crops suffered badly from dry, same for 1/2 hour south. All my feed went east, where it was too dry. Here, we had over a month with zero rain, ending with hail storms on the 17 and 19 of July. But a month was about what was required to finally dry out the saturated ground. I suppose that was dry on some soils?

Starting with the tank full on a dry year is definitely a bonus. But starting out with a mess of weeds, ruts and compaction and having to fix all of that on a dry year puts one behind. Costs a lot of time and moisture. I have it completely backwards right now. Hills are growing nicely, direct seeded into moist mellow level ground. Low ground has seeds sitting in bone dry clumps.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...