• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seeding opportunity?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeding opportunity?

For all you folks having to reseed due to frost - i'd think about the cattle feed market as I think the demand will be huge. Already past the point where moisture shortage/cool temps will severely limit yield on first (possibly only) cut across a large area of the west.
    The forage exporters have been moving so much feed has been scarce for a couple of years now in much of AB. Almost no carryover inventory on ranches and many have turned cattle out too early on pasture. With cattle prices where they are I can see prices being $100/bale quite easily. Maybe oat greenfeed should be the crop choice for some of you?

I'm hearing of lots of feeders being moved out of big feedlots into smaller ones due to the lack of feed and grass. Smaller guys have left over silage, big lots are running short and grass is short.

Comment

My alfalfa field is turning browner by the day, the snow melt moisture is used up and the plants are shutting down. It'll be slim pickens here if we don't get a rain.
      As if I don't have enough problems of my own, now I'm starting to worry for my cowpoke neighbour too.

Comment

Grass - you bring up an excellent point . Agree - there will be a huge shortage of hay

Comment

No romps in the hay here either. #1- no hay and #2 - you'd freeze your ars off.

Comment

Should be a good hay market here too, I've seen a number of established alfalfa fields frozen so bad they look like they've been burnt off, and even barley and winter wheat killed dead.

Comment

I think you have a great idea, grass. I agree 100%.

Comment

It's a good idea, yes, but with caution. If you have fertilizer already on for a grain crop, you run a probability of high nitrates in greenfeed rendering it dangerous fodder. Just be aware.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...