• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the incumbent CWB directors?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say I agree with everybody’s thoughts here. I too would like to get passed the monopoly vs. dual market argument. I would like to concentrate on marketing my production to the best of my abilities. But this is also prime time for the CWB debate. The director elections are upon us.

But I am hearing precious little from the incumbent candidates. I believe we need to hear from them. They have a record to defend, as after all, it is under their command that all this controversy swirls. The CWB has obviously not brought satisfaction to many farmers, or there would be no debate.

It has been a full week since I started this thread. And there still is no response from Macklin, Hill et al. I think we need to hear what they have to say. Either in the discussion rooms here in the Community Center, or out in the public.

And just to reinforce……what we do not need is the PR machine at CWB headquarters doing their campaigning for them. Like others, I want to hear the incumbents speak for themselves, and explain and defend their record of performance. Tell us how they will improve wheat and barley marketing for farmers.

For example, in their long-term strategic plan, have they planned for the day when they compete for grain without the single desk authority to ‘guarantee’ it? If they haven’t planned for that, do they not think that they may be putting the CWB’s future in jeopardy? Choice for farmers will make a difference in how and what the CWB does.

There is a lot to talk about. Lets hear from these guys.

Comment

Parlsey, you've thrown down the gauntlet and I have accepted - new thread today. I wonder what the participation will be.

Comment

Everest,

I'm particularly interested in the contingency fund...

The incumbents have been stuffing the Contingency stocking, but I want to know

With how much $$$$$$$$$?
        Debited from where?
        For what?

I think the Incumbent Directors have an obligation to respond because they are the only ones who know anything about it. If they are proud of what they are doing let the farmers be Ballot judges!

Parsley

Comment

I'am just a farmer but one question. If the farmers were not charged under the law for exporting wheat without a permit or convicted of the charge. How could you be held responsible for leaving the border in a seized vehicle. Seized for contervention of what law may I asked. If they were charged with exporting wheat without a permited and found not quilty the charge of removing a seized vehicle should not not enter the question and be dropped due to the want of prosecution.

Hey I do know a lawyer and it was so cold the other day he had his hands in his own pockets.

Comment

Kernel;

On top Appeals were launched on the seizures of the vehicles, and the CCRA Minister refuses to rule whether or not the seizures themselves were legal.

Yet Customs officials proceed with jailing those who they do not even know... if they are guilty of removing seized vehicles to begin with...

On top, I refused to remove my vehicle, and Customs officers were actually disappointed and acted frustrated that I hadn't removed my vehicle!

This whole situation was a setup... from square one... and has nothing to do with truth or justice!

The CWB has given special plaques to Custom Ports who did extra special good jobs for the CWB...

Comment

It's quite amazing that the incumbents must still rely on the CWB communications dept. to do the speaking for them. Bill Nicholson had a letter to the editor in this weeks MB co-operator and I've talked to Bill Nicholson before and I've heard him speak many times before and hese word are not Bill Nicholson's I'm sure, they come out of the CWB communications dept.

If Bill Nicholson, Art Maklin, Mike Halyk and Larry Hill expect farmers to re-elect them to the CWB Board they should have the courage of their convictions and use their own words and thoughts in this campaign.

If these guys believe so strongly that the single desk is so great and powerful they should be scrambling to defend those ideas in this Agri-ville forum. We all look past the spelling and grammer and concentrate on the ideas and the messages.

Either they can't defend their records and their beliefs or they've been told to stay quiet and let the communications dept. speak for them. Either way Everest it seems the incumbents will be a no-show.

Comment

Tom were you actually charged with failing to have or produce an export permit.

Comment

Apparently Director Larry Hill has been talking about how much it will cost farmers from their pooling accounts to pay for tis potential trade challenge. I haven't read it myself, so I am only 'going by the g****vine'.

Why does he say this? According to the Act, the money should not come out of the pooling accounts.

thalpenny, I would appreciate if you will address this issue unless Larry Hill comes online and does it himself.

Parsley

Comment

The CWB statement is at:

http://www.cwb.ca/en/news/releases/2002/102502.jsp

Comment

Thanks charliep, you are right on top pf things! These are the first two paragraphs:

Winnipeg -- The latest U.S. trade challenge against imports of Canadian spring wheat and durum will cost western Canadian farmers $8 million to $10 million to defend, according to CWB estimates.

"It is outrageous that such a case has been launched, based on scant evidence and influenced by politics," said Larry Hill, a Saskatchewan farmer and elected CWB director. "It will cost Canadian farmers dearly during a very difficult time. Farmers are very frustrated."

So here's the question.....who is LEGALLY responsible to pay for the trade challenges, according to what the ACT
                      states? Who was LEGALLY responsible for paying for past challenges?

thalpenny, Larry Hill or vader should address this. Or one of the other Directors. Surely they can answer at least one of my questions.

Parsley

Comment

Kernel;

I was charged with failing to provide Customs with a CWB export license.

I left my Peterbuilt truck at Couts, and CCRA towed it to Milk River, where it sat for 43 days, and cost CCRA $1200 to keep there.

I appealed the seizure of my truck, within the 30 days required, and the CCRA Minister was supposed to rule on whether or not the seizure was correct and legal. To this day the CCRA Minister has refused to rule on the seizure of any of the vehicles.

In August of 1996, the crown said I would not be admitting guilt, if I paid the "bond" as they called it, for the release of my truck.

I paid the required $400.00, and got my truck back.

So the issue is now over the $400.00, as my truck has been released.

When in June of 1997, I was supposed to go to trial, the Justice Dept. Stayed my charges.

I went to Lethbridge, exposed Fed. lawyer lieing to the court.

Dimnik said that I was having my charges stayed because I had a case the same as the Alberta Barley Commission case, and that they were joining the two together.

Of course there was absolutely no relationship between the two cases, and I objected to the judge that Dimnik was not telling the truth. Therefore I objected to the Staying of my charges, and stated I was just as guilty as anyone else who crossed the border, if not moreso because I had over 450bu while some others just has 1bu.

The Judge said it did not matter the reasons the feds were Staying my charges, and that I could not object to them being stayed.

I was free and there was nothing I could do about it!

Kernel, I should be going to prison with the other farmers, but I guess the good Lord wants someone to fight for Truth and Justice on the outside of prison as well!

Comment

tom4cwb,

Initially, did you apply for an export license?

Parsley

Comment

Parsley;

I did apply, and was faxed instructions of what was required for me to get an export license, then after meeting those requirements, faxed back the completed expot license.

The CWB did not appreciate my innovative thinking at all though!

The CWB said that if I had bagged and tagged seed, that they would issue a license.

SO, I went down to Home Depot, and got a 50’ by 20’ roll, of 3mil plastic.

Then I got a bag sower we use for sewing up 25kg seed bags, and made the plastic into a giant envelope.

I inserted this giant plastic bag, into a hopper on my Peterbuilt semi trailer.

Then I loaded this bag with 467bu of pedigreed Certified Wildcat Seed Wheat.

When I finished weighing the truck, I got the bag sewing machine, and sowed up the envelope creating the finished bag, careful to sew in the Certified blue tag into this bag.

So I had met the requirements, I had been told in writing, that were required for me to receive my export license.

I filled out the export license, and faxed it to the CWB as they requested. I requested that my Export license be sent to the Couts AB customs port, and everything seemed OK.

Until I got to Couts that is…

I asked where my export license was, and there was none.

I phone the CWB from the phone booth outside Customs, and asked where my license was? Gord Price said he was not satisfied who I was exporting my wheat to as stated on the license application was sufficient.

I had used our family co. as the exporter, and I personally was the importer in the USA, all legal in the USA.

I did not see why exactly the CWB needed to know what was to be done with my bagged and tagged seed, as for bagged and tagged seed a sworn affidavit was not required that it was going to be used for planting purposes.

When I was in the 3rd floor of the CWB building earlier that spring, I was told that I could swear an affidavit that my seed would be used for planting, and that no one could prove that I was swearing a false affidavit, so just go ahead and export this pedigreed seed for whatever purpose I wanted! I told this CWB salesperson I could not believe my ears!!!

They had just encouraged me to swear a false affidavit, and then got embarrassed!

Then on the CWB 3rd floor, this fellow took me to his desk, and offered me a special buy-back… one that would make me some good money!

I STARED AT HIM;

I TURNED RED;

I SAID, I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM HERE, IN THE CWB BUILDING, ON THE CWB THIRD FLOOR…

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?

THIS… IS… WRONG I told him!!!

I walked to the elevator, and left the CWB Building in disgust.

So WHEN I WAS REFUSED AN EXPORT LICENSE, after already being promised one… I said to myself …

….these …….people must be exposed, no matter what the cost.

SO I went across the border, after being denied a license, and the rest is history!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...