• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok boys how dry is it where you farm!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok boys how dry is it where you farm!

Well finally the weather in western Canada is back to a normal spring. Funny how in this country nothing slowly happens it's just bang flood to drought or dry conditions.
    Our area still I would class as wet. When your seeding even if you burn it's still soft and sticky but your able to seed. Very little dust.
    I have been hearing that some areas canola is sitting in dry soil waiting for a rain to germinate.
    Others are saying they need a rain soon.
    So for our area were good till 5 to 7 of June.
    But what are others finding in their neck of the woods.
    Fire ban in northern sask so no shore lunches.
    We still are burning wheat stubble off so we can seed.
    So basically your area and what your moisture situation is.
    East central to east side of sask. adequate to over supply good for two more weeks.
    That's a example.
    Back seeding thanks.

Have not had any rain here this spring at all, we seem to have missed all the showers they split and went either side of us. Its nice for a change not to be mudding a crop in, however there could be some germination problems if rain don't come soon. Your right sf3 one extreme to the next. We are located near Wadena.

Comment

why do you want to know how dry it is on our farms?

Comment

Schadenfreude

Comment

Province wide fire ban. Earliest forest fire season.
          Grass browning up. Trees pale.
          Far too early to kill the grass or the crop yet, but eventually. Good seedbed moisture. Roots need to get started and push her through the excess straw on top. Always said the cure for excess trash is a dry year. Canola never a crop till out of ground.

Comment

our canola out of the ground, then froze. i think it'll come back enough to make a crop but its very dry here so may not matter. southwest sask. last years hay has now gone up in price already. there's some subsoil moisture but it's going fast. forecase was for rain monday, but now that's changed. going to be expensive to feed those $3500 cow calf pairs.

Comment

Sask farmer. Wouldn't mind if you talk about your area and not western Canada. Gets a little rich you saying things are back to normal. You get drew lerners moisture maps. Many areas are in all time record dry and just areas in western Canada are in high or extreme drought. Lastly not sure where you think you are traditional canola growing area and other places are non traditional. You don't have a clue where such a line is or if one exists.

Comment

Many areas not "just" in my last thread

Comment

S/F - normal spring ? Wtf are you talking about . Maybe the last 8 years were normal .. I duno .

Comment

Completly saturated area getting stuck.worse then last year use auto steer twenty seconds at a time little area took a cloud burst and hail storm in the fall and a few inches of moisture so far this spring. Few miles or less away just about perfect

Comment

Funny just jumped over to cbc saskatchewan and there's a story of fire bans and a map. Sorry no cut and paste from phone

Comment

Oh boy some of you have short memories. This is how farming is in western canada one rain away from a disaster it was not 8'years of huge moisture! Last week big rain in me if it would have been last year the 4 inches that Bismarck got would have been SE sask.
                        This is how I remember farming was in the 80 s 90 and up till 8 years ago!
                        June is our wettest month read its out their. Yes I'll need a nice rain come June and without it will suck here also!
                        This is farming not MUD!
                        Vwalk the non traditional canola area is the paliser triangle! But the last 8 to 10 it has opened that area up to canola!
                        Also Vwalk you couldn't find a farm if you were standing on one!

Comment

Even when SF3 says things are good he gets in trouble. That's kind of amazing actually.

The weather is going to solve a lot of rail issues.

Comment

SF3, carefull, for what you ask for. We could see you posting here in late june praying for rain.

Comment

Yes tweety every one hates some one who says it like it is because they deep down don't want to here it! Welcome to western canada weather! We're not normally a rain forest! At least with a drought I won't keep feeding the leaches!
                              Just saying this is a normal spring read about weather in canada this is normal but if June is extreme dry then all bets are off!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...