• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massey Discers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massey Discers

Should be in machinery and equipment but wonder what supports demand for Massey #36 Discers.

One outfit, I believe in the southwest, was supposed to be buying them up and shipping them over to Sudan. Been going on for years. Sometimes see ads in the Producer looking for them. Least that's the story I heard, maybe all bullshit.

Comment

They get rebuilt and sent to India.

Also, If you pull one at 12 miles per hour you can call it vertical tillage and be a cool kid.

Comment

I bet if we used them this year they make very few LUMPS! Checked fields and it's a lumpy mess.

Comment

**** I hate those things, hard to clean out, small boxes meant lots of fills, left ridges and furrows and the worst was guys who summerfallowed with them. Had to harrow after seeding and that left the soil prone to drifting. Not the best in hilly land, cut less going up a hill and more coming down the other side. Uneven seeding depth.

Pro; relatively low maintenance.

High cost and high maintenance, the price we pay for today's conveniences.....

You pick.

Comment

I agree but those things built farms.

Sure there are better ways now. But if we poured the groceries to the crop then like now with a set of discers, do you think the results would be much different than today's half million seeding rigs?

I would put money on floating fertilizer and seeding with a set would grow just as well.

If I wasn't so ****ing stupid I would let my kid give it a try around the home place. I could level it after seeding with the heavy harrow and then roll it. He could work on it after school.

Comment

I agree bucket. A 600000 dollar paralink or a 6000 dollar discer u pick. U get the weather they both make u look good. Discer Bob Dodd swore by those things in university. Amazing how far we've come in 25 years. Not sure if its for the better always.

Comment

Neighbor air seeds at 8 mph and harrow packs, good crops too. Whole outfit about 20000.

Comment

I forgot about Discer Bob Dodd! Mech Ag 21 (?)
                  He loved discers.

Comment

Thanks for the memories! The only good one I have is finally parking them after seeding. 33 ft, 27 acres per fill-up. 45 minutes to grease up. Welded packer hitches to frame and pulled coil packers. What a pain in the ass to transport! Only thing that didn't sell at the auction sale. Oh well, the sea gulls sure liked them...

Comment

Bucket, it would be an interesting experiment.

Comment

Still wonder why ads are asking for Massey and not others like CCIL discers.
                        Think CCIL was discer leader at one time.
                        Shaunovan outfit was also early builder.
                        Clarence Taylor,of Palliser Triangle Wheat Growers, worked on getting a Discers museum at Roleau, don't know if it is still kept up.

Comment

Keith Hartsook, Norman Eastman, Fred Schneider were the inventors of the Massey discer I believe. The prototype was at Schneider's auction, unfortunately it was mistakenly scrapped.

Comment

Not Massey discers, but Alex Sakundiak put the first seed boxes on discer frame around here and the Hanson Brothers were instrumental in discer design for years. Maybe before some of your time and you probably sure don't give a crap, but just saying. Maybe the day will come when we are pulling a grain tank and discers 90 feet wide. Yah!

Comment

If anybody's interested I got 24ft of CCIL discern sitting in my yard. Hmmm maybe I should put them to work.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...