• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parsely, Hobby and the sweet potato

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsely, Hobby and the sweet potato

so what are your thoughts on the sweet potato that has naturally occuring T-DNA?

Would seem GMO is natures way and is completely natural along with the agrobacterium that is the basis of GMO products today. Saving the children from natures way?

Europe is in a tizzy now labeling them as GMO and ripping them out of organic gardens because, well, the misleading law says so.

Thoughts?

Well if its naturally occurring then doesn't fit the same definition as modern genetic engineering.

Sounds to me like the biotech industry is trying to use this as bit of a "Feel Good Story", trying to increase acceptance of genetic engineering by aligning it with naturally occurring gene transfer.

Comment

Will let Hobby discuss with you. I'm miserable enough finishing off income tax. My hand is going to refuse signing my name. I just know it. Pars

Comment

Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) can occur in a variety of ways. One way is through transformation, which involves the introduction, uptake, and expression of foreign genetic material that is, DNA or ribonucleic acid (RNA). Transformation is fairly common in bacteria and less common in higher organisms. This method is also used in medical and industrial approaches of genetic engineering. Transformation occurs rarely in nature as a result of various protective mechanisms built in to the cell, including the cell wall, the presence of enzymes to break down any foreign DNA that enters the cell, and the ability to prevent the foreign DNA from being incorporated into its own DNA. During transformation, only short DNA fragments are typically exchanged and can involve any part of a chromosome, as long as an entire gene is transferred and not just a piece of a gene. This process is most common among bacteria that are naturally transformable.

Comment

Tweety you should know by now that the only gmo crop that is accepted by the left wing NDP'ers and the liberal group is GMO Marijuana. That's a fact. Corn, soybeans,canola? Forget it but yet they have modified strains of Marijuana into the most potent in history and that crowd thinks it's great.

Comment

Maybe we should cross Mary Jane with Giant Ragweed, then it would be legal to grow and it would be a monster crop. Dreamers, taking a break in the cool drizzle.

Comment

We tried growing sweet potatoes. They got about as big around as a pencil. Had to peel them under a microscope.

Comment

Cannabis is not transgenic btw

Comment

Pourfarmer, you mean like Roundup Ready canola?

Comment

How's the wine you non GMO'ers ? No one on earth can tell me that the wine anywhere on earth is not GMO. Or any vegetable on your plate ....

Comment

According to the "Wheat Belly" wizard all wheat is GMO - well than - all crops on earth are GMO . They have all been cross bred for centuries . Every single thing you grow and eat .., prove me wrong..... Anyone

Comment

I really dont have much if an opinion on this. I guess it means I cant grow sweet potatoes.

Pourfarmer said it best in a post above. Some farmers genuinely believe the are supplying food for the world. I am cool with that. Its a good thing to do.

Comment

No he didn't, he cut and pasted from a wiki page.

Comment

Tweety, you are right on. I was mixed up with another post. I still dont know that much about the gene that is in the sweet potatoes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...