• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belarus / MTZ Tractors

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belarus / MTZ Tractors

Hi All,

I figured I'd clear a few things up as people have been asking me lately...

1. Belarus Equipment of Canada is defunct. They do not represent anything anymore.

2. The "Belarus" trade name is not actually a manufacturer. It was a trade name from the USSR days to market Soviet / Belarusian/ Ukrainian equipment in North America.

3.The smaller (25-125hp) tractors were built by Minsk Tractor Works ("MTZ"). The medium sized 4WDs were Ukrainian built. The large (7111/7011/7010/7110) 4WDs were built by the Kirov factory (thus known as Kirovets). Combines (Don1500 and Belarus 8400) were built by Rostselmash, which now owns Versatile.

4. MTZ has a representative in Canada known as MTZ Equipment. Their website can be found here... http://www.mtzequipment.com/

MTZ today builds a lot more models than ever before... right up to 300HP plus. They also have the only near-production diesel-electric hybrid tractor, which should be in full production within a few years.... MTZ's website shows all available models: http://tractors.com.by/

5. MTZ is one of the largest builders of tractors in the world.... and today's units aren't the Belarus tractors of the 80s and 90s...

6. MTZ's lineup in Canada has no Tier IV emissions equipment. The engines are still simple, fuel efficient, and run forever... Only major difference is an electronic injection system.

7. MTZ Canada also has a discussion / support forum for current and previous tractors http://www.mtztractortalk.com/

Ok, there ya have it folks

-Chris

The iron can still be recycled for scrap

The rubber components (tires, belts etc never were any good from the beginning.

Maybe they'd run forever; but there were spare parts to consider; fixing and leaks...leaks...leaks and stiff hydraulic controls and "unresponsiveness"; and the 10 years of parts and most likely the required depot in Sask. is a thing of the past.

Sometimes its just best to move on and remember that those units did pay for themselves and don't owe anyone very much.

Comment

But it was possible to rebuild a diesel injection pump and actually make it work as well as new. The 4 speed power shifts may very well have been indestructible; and the air brakes were made to stop a train.

If only the rims were a little thicker; and the tires more servicable and the cabs more dust proof etc. etc.

But in a pinch you could run a combine in near pouring rain and still thresh the wheat out.

Bigger tractors sorely needed duals; but maybe the planetaries wouldn't have stood the stress; and yet maybe instead of those radials squirming in an attempt at making a turn instead of continuing in a straight line......who knows .....somebody actually could have created a tractor that had all the features, at real reasonable costs and belched out black smoke that proved they didn't mind hard work.

Comment

Thanks for the memories

Comment

Klause, you did say that the new units aren't like the belarus of the 80's,90's didn't you? That's what i read anyways. I think there is lots of room in the market for a simple well built tractor of any horsepower.Something you can actually fix, labour at the implement dealers is a killer.

Comment

Its a matter of trust. In the product and the manufacturer support/dealer network.

Comment

New tractors kept the reliability and simplicity of the old machines, and addressed main shortcomings.
              Main improvements include:
              - Better cab, with AC
              - Straight Axle to handle loaders better
              - Brand new hoses, vavles, couplers to eliminate leakages
              - Bausch type electric wiring with quick disconnects and common fuses for easier service
              - Factory installed joystick
              - Easier transmission operation (separate lever for speeds, range, hi-low)

Price remains most competitive in the industry.
              Simple Tier 3 engine have no computers nor complicated electronics, so many farmers can easily service them in house, using a screwdriver and a wrench.

Comment

Sounds good, hopefully someday they'll be in a dealership near me.

Comment

How far from humboldt are you?

Comment

I had a friend in the 80"s who bought a Don 1500. Very impressive - clean sample, no loss out the back and hardly burned any diesel. I asked him if he had any trouble getting parts. He said getting parts was not a problem but lifting them up was.

Comment

I drove a 7110 (?) Belarus for a neighbor when I was a teenager.
                      You have a good presentation and I was encouraged enough to look at the lineup on the website.
                      First off, it was in a Soviet language. ..an immediate reminder/turn off from the old Moscow Mules. The only parts and service depot on the map in Canada is in Thornhill, ontario.
                      I know those are not very relevant details in the "big picture" but that was enough to turn me off. A person might as well keep driving the old MF 4800 series tractors.

Comment

Any specific comment/suggestions about language or other web site improvements are welcome.

Major parts warehouses are in TX (USA) and ON (Canada).
                        So any parts are few days away ground shipping.

In addition, all dealers stock parts, so there is a good chance that most common parts would be available in stock from your local dealer.
                        Yours,
                        Arie

Comment

The neat thing is the modular building block design.... Most dealer stock full parts for all models because they are identical...

My biggest complaints were thr ball bearing pto setup the front drop axles and the fact the cab had no ac... The new ones seal up nice have a sturdy front axle good danfoss hydraulics and a bolt in pto system.

Kinda neat too... you can run the pto in either 540 or 1000 with either stub shaft... economy pto

Comment

The PTO has more neat tricks:
                            1) Besides 540 and 1000 it has a 3rd mode: ground speed. Useful for seeding, manure or salt spreading and other applications.

2) PTO Box can be disconnected altogether through a lever in a cab, if you do not need it. Gives you more hp, and keeping it in a new like condition.

Comment

Very Simple. If you want to save money on buying a tractor there are two steps.

1)Price a new POS Brand like MTZ

2)Go buy good JD, case or similar used for the same money as the new MTZ.

you will be much happier in the long run and it will still be worth more than scrap price when you go to sell.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...