• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant health and incedence of disease

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant health and incedence of disease

When crops are under stress after emergence they are much more vulnerable to increased levels of disease. For some of you that have been under wet, stressfull growing conditions after seeding, what products or practices can be used to improve plant health and reduce possible early disease levels?
    Certain herbicides can reduce nutrient uptake in crops further compounding crop health. There are a few products out there to help soften the effects , just woundering if anyone has tried things like micros with or before herbicide applications to perk plant health long enough for the crop to get rolling on it's own?
    I know if it continues to rain /flood the crop may be in trouble regardless but if the weather straightens out, what works what does not?
    General enough Farma ? )

We're seeing some benefit from fall tillage. A black soil is warmer plants are healthier and seem to take off quicker after a cool rain event. But once ground is mud it's all same. Micros one neighbor uses but two to three crops and no pulses. His hrs and canola same come fall.
    That's our observation but black in heavier soils to med seems to help a bit. Good luck.

Comment

Ya it was interesting to see that in some pea fields the only areas that were not crippled with root rot were areas worked the fall before . There were other issues but tilled areas definitely stood out .

Comment

I want more details.

No micros here. Only fall tillage was the low spots we could get into. At this point, we're hoping for a drier season. We went into this winter wetter than the fall before.

We've had exceptional service from RRs and GrainCos and all herbicides worked 110%. All is good in Utopia except I've been diagnosed as delusional.

Comment

surfactant damage can be far greater then the herbicide. Something to keep in mind when mixing.

Comment

I have taken out surfactant and added foliar - it helps a lot if the crop is not on it's ass already. Peas were too late by then last year. I think some seed placed fertility/ micros and tillage would have kept them healthy enough to weather the storm but hind sight is 20/20. Never had to worry before.
            I agree surfactant and water volume can play havoc in certain conditions, it sure did last year with many diff herbicides.
            We too were a lot wetter last fall than 2013 , so I am getting more concerned with every snow dump now. A lot can change in a month but it is becoming a bit unnerving right now.

Comment

Funny thing in 2014 we were swamped at seeding then missed a few thrn swamped at harvest best crop ever! I feel it's rain that did the damage! Now if the temp drops ag night to real cool spray can hurt a plant! Some forays more than others!

Comment

Not sure of your fertility furrow but using higher amounts of phos and particularly potash seem to help our cereals delay the onset of disease. We usually add some bumper with our herbicide which keeps it clean up til flag depending on how humid and warm it gets. I do think the newer varieties have a better built in disease package but if the weather goes against u at the wrong time for too long it don't matter what u do.

Comment

Not sure of your fertility furrow but using higher amounts of phos and particularly potash seem to help our cereals delay the onset of disease. We usually add some bumper with our herbicide which keeps it clean up til flag depending on how humid and warm it gets. I do think the newer varieties have a better built in disease package but if the weather goes against u at the wrong time for too long it don't matter what u do.

Comment

We see the same in cereals and canola , but have not used anything but tagteam in peas , never had an issue but never had conditions or added stress factors like that before.

Comment

I use P3 with herbicide on peas. I feel it prevent herbicide flash and speeds up nodulation development.

Comment

Honestly it depends how wet it is. A spindly knee high bolting canola crop, which has happened more than once on my farm, is only saved if it dries out in time.

Honestly, that is the only answer IMO. Last year we had the most pathetic looking canola in the beginning of bolting, and then it quit raining for long enough for it to grow out of it.

Most of the other years of wet, it never stopped raining, and so it never grew out of it worth a crap. If it is that wet, there is nothing that can be done.

I think there is wet, and then there is really wet. Our perspectives of wet may be different. When a crop is drowning in mud, nothing can give it the OXYGEN it needs. In my experience, and I have a lot of it, when O2 is the limiting factor, there is nothing to do.

Regarding tillage. around here, everyone seeds at the same time. Tillage offers us no advantage IMO in timeliness.

If it is wet and raining, as SF3 says, there is no practice that stands out. Borderline wet, sure. But truly wet, it really does not matter. Bare soil is wet, no till is wet. It is all wet.

I actually find where it is tilled, it is sloppier, and loose, and actually worse for traction. No till does not get that same slop factor. once drier, yes, tilled warms better and dries a bit better.

Wet? Or really wet???? lol

Comment

We have been boarderline here , canola showed some stress last year on a few fields , wheat was fine but peas took er in the chin. Not all peas though - tilled fields , loam soil, canola stb, were better in general.
                          One field I talked about before was very interesting - winter wheat stb was ok, hrsw stb was fuked -same field, same fertility, same rotation for 8 years , same herbicides.

Comment

Fall tillage on heavy cereal stubble in wet years definitely dries the ground up compared to no till seeding operations. This is coming from someone who does not like tilling. If you drive around now as the snow is melting you can pick out the fields that have some form of tillage compared to ones that are undisturbed. The tilled ones have less less snow and they dry up faster. Spring tillage is a different monster depending on the weather after.
                            Anything you can do to help the crop or fool the crop to grow through wet conditions is a huge plus. Seed treatments or micros can help this. Strobe fungicides are also good for this.
                            Pick your medicine

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...