• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Africa land, maybe young farmers should go there ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Africa land, maybe young farmers should go there ?

Brazil Farmers Buying Up African Land On the Cheap
    For years we have heard stories about American and Chinese businessmen and farmers buying up land in South America in order to grow row crop corn and soybeans. Now we are getting reports that South American farmers are making the jump across the Atlantic to buy up ground in Africa, particularly in Mozambique. Reports from Reuters show the government of Mozambique recently offered farmers from Brazil 50 year leases on 15 million acres of land: an equivalent to a bit more than half of the acreage under cultivation in Iowa. The price was reported at $5.30 per acre. Wow! Compare that to the going rate of good farmland in Brazil at over $4,000 per acre, who wouldn’t be interested? From what​ ​I've heard, the farmers that are taking the deal​​ operate in Brazil’s "Cerrado Region," a vast, scrubby savanna with unpromising, acidic soil. In just 30 years, they have turned what once was considered an agricultural wasteland into one of the world’s most productive sources of corn, cotton, and soybeans. The land in Mozambique is said to ​be ​quite similar to that of the Brazilian Cerrado. Using technology developed in the Cerrado, there is a chance Mozambique could emerge as agriculture’s next frontier. Certainly something that could greatly enhance the country’s economy. According to the World Food Program, 54% of the population lives below the national poverty line; 63% of rural children live in absolute poverty; and 34% of households are food insecure and face perpetual hunger. However, according to a Financial Times article, this deal isn’t really about feeding Mozambique; it’s about producing commodities for the export markets and the government getting the tax dollars. The article reports that the allure for Cerrado farmers -- apart from laying claim on basically free land -- is increased proximity to lucrative markets in the Middle East and Asia. Of course, some of the profit will trickle down to Mozambique’s people in the form of low-wage farm work. Make no mistake, Africa looks to be the next big jump in the race to develop more global ag production.

Anyone out here have enough cash to do it? Its a lease so in the end the land is someone elses no matter the improvements. Makes sense. Cheap labour for locals is better than no labour. Or a life of crime. There must be some challenging reasons why its not been done yet.

Comment

And once they establish something, a change in leadership! Good buy all you built!

Comment

I have never been to Africa and I wish them well but.... After reading some books written by people involved with varied assistance projects over there. They have an expression to explain everything. T.I.A. This is Africa. Basically meaning everything you thought you knew based on experience about the human condition means SFA. Another planet.
        Hopefully it's not all about a new form of colonialism.

Comment

One word - Zimbabwe

Comment

I agree with the above comments. Not for me, but... The price is right, freedom to import fert and chem at world price,month Canadian Premium. Buy low priced Canadian, American, or other country used equipment, cheap, buy small widths and hire the help. Keep overhead low, expenses low, sell commodities to premium markets where ever they are ( don't sell local). Hire security force. Separate cropping season to ours, working holiday. Heck partner with an American, and a Ausi, reduce the risks. Get a loan from FCC - just kidding, but...

Brazil was once thought to be a country similar to Zimbabwe. So was Ukraine.

Comment

You'd have to be a nut to take up this opportunity, S. African farmers leaving their successful farmers in droves, and not necessarily by choice.

Comment

Africa just saddens me. An ancestor on my mothers (non-farming) side was a Pioneer Column member with Cecil Rhodes, trekking north from S Africa in search of mineral wealth. He became a successful copper mine owner and built a lot of the infrastructure in his area of Rhodesia. Built and funded the schools and other necessary developments.
                His descendants left for South Africa soon after the lunatic Mugabe took over. They moved on again to Australia with the regime change in South Africa.

It's easy to paint the nasty colonialists as exploiting the locals and the resources but in truth they built a lot of the infrastructure out of their own pockets.

Same in S Africa which I toured once. The beautiful sugar farms in Natal and the barley crops in the Eastern Cape all developed by the Afrikanars where there was nothing before. Beautiful, tidy farms with cottages for the workers.
                The sisal plantations in Natal abandoned because the Zulus are only interested in cattle. A few cows grazing among the sisal and the locals sitting under a tree listening to their ghetto blasters.

It's deemed politically incorrect nowadays to say anything negative about the "non-white" people running their own countries but on the whole they have done a poor job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...