• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you Do?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you Do?

Funny thing has been going on since I came home. South Africans are interested in Canada and want to make it their home. Yes I can see with all the problems farmers have over their why they wouldn't want to move to a place that has land, Good gov (ok some would argue it doesn't listen) Safety and nice summers.
    So My question to all on here is what would you do if you were approached to sell out.
    Was at a producer meeting last week. These meetings just a year ago were full to the roof with farmers so full of piss and vinegar. Yes their is some great new Technology coming down the pipe but funny thing is every one was talking about moving their grain, giving up rented land or negotiating and how the prices of what we get are similar to the USA but if we buy anything for the farm from the USA were paying a premium of 24%.
    Some thing happened since December, Its not very positive out their. Yes some think we are only in a small dip. What's funny is guys who have been farming for a longer period feel this is just farming getting back to the levels it was with 2015 input costs. Now their margins are so slim Most are asking why keep doing this.
    Now yes the weather factor has crushed a lot of guys spirits but reality is Farming has its ups and downs. Really three ups in a 100 years isn't that a positive business model.
    So back to my question If you guys were approached to leave the business Today would you do it.
    Funny thing we all think about what we would do, but if the time ever comes what would each of you do. Would you leave the industry or stay and wait for the next big thing.
    Yes with land prices today its prime time to sell. You need Bidders for land and sellers. Bidders have deep pockets sellers don't need to sell or want to sell.
    Yes their is the Tax implications of winding down a business.
    But if a offer was put on your kitchen table would you move on?
    Just a simple question. Funny lots at the meeting were thinking the same. What would you do.
    Is this the next big Change in Farming where guys who have been in the business for 3 or 4 generations, Strong family farms say. Yep that's a good enough pay day and I'm out of here.
    So back to the original question. Would most sell and move on or stay to fight another battle.

SF3, Land prices are historically high. I keep predicting a bit of a correction, I may be wrong but...! Most importantly is what situation you're in. If there is no one coming behind you in the inter-generational relay race to hand the baton to, maybe cash out if there is a pile of equity after liquidation and the dust has settled. If there is mini SF3s and they want to farm, you might owe them the chance you had/got. This business isn't easily "bought into" for starters/entrepreneurs without a PILE of cash.

The we could just say "F" it sell out regardless and live off the wife's job.

Comment

Depends whether your heart is in it or not. Simple as that. Sure a big bank account is appealing for some.... but then what? People who have other interests are actually fortunate in my opinion. Great time to sell for those in that position.

Comment

It's just a question but a tough one.
        It's like every one says they don't buy lotto max but for 6 dollars 50 million if it hit what would you do. Similar with land if someone showed up and said we like your set up, have a buyer what would you do?
        It just looks to me that lots of 50 to 60 year olds are thinking what if.

Comment

do not sell your land. unless you have to.

Comment

Land is a hard asset you can touch it taste it lay down on it and piss on it. Rest are paper I understand that. The Chinese new world bank vs the usa fed I think the new one is here To stay and we better join or lose out.
            Total land debt is I would say min similar to one richie bros quad or just less.
            What I'm talking about is a pay day vs keeping going. How would each handle a decision like a exit package.
            Ok here is a example nice farm 6 quarters nice yard house shop bins.
            Offer is 2.2 for land. Remember this is a example total debt on land is 100 grand.
            No kids coming up or one kid not sure. Home is 500 In city or lake you need to relocate some where. Use exemp of 1.6 husband and wife combined.
            Now what is return 2% no risk. Work for farmer as operator or chem seed or fert rep.
            Now how would others handle this.

Comment

Given that hindsight is 20/20 the play would have been to sell for $US two years ago and then leased back land. (Had you done it everyone would have thought you were crazy then) Today you would get less $US then you would have back then. Now that the $CDn has lost 20% of it value it is not so clear. We have a longer history of currency manipulation then the US ($Cdn was heavily manipulated during the Trudeau years in the 70's) and the Canadian economy is more dependent on currency manipulation then the US is. So the best plan is probably to own some land and rent some because you never know which way the wind is going to blow. If you are over 50% owned you do have the luxury of selling some but if you are under 50% owned get the resume shined up.

Comment

Given that hindsight is 20/20 the play would have been to sell for $US two years ago and then leased back land. (Had you done it everyone would have thought you were crazy then) Today you would get less $US then you would have back then. Now that the $CDn has lost 20% of it value it is not so clear. We have a longer history of currency manipulation then the US ($Cdn was heavily manipulated during the Trudeau years in the 70's) and the Canadian economy is more dependent on currency manipulation then the US is. So the best plan is probably to own some land and rent some because you never know which way the wind is going to blow. If you are over 50% owned you do have the luxury of selling some but if you are under 50% owned get the resume shined up.

Comment

Comment

Comment

How much are the taxes on the half million dollar house in Regina or the lake? Compare that to your monthly salary if yoi decide to work after farming.... there better be enough left over after all is said and done after the farm liquidation. How much time do you have, and how much money do you need, to enjoy the lifestyle you have today or do you want a better one than you have now?

Comment

Now is not the time to be purchasing any property in the USA or switching cash to usa dollars. Land is up 125000 per quarter since three years ago. Ownership is 2/3 owned 1/3 rented.
                        But again the big example is if you got handed lotto 6/49 for your land would you quit.

Comment

5000 plus taxes in city.

Comment

How much are the taxes on the half million dollar house in Regina or the lake? Compare that to your monthly salary if yoi decide to work after farming.... there better be enough left over after all is said and done after the farm liquidation. How much time do you have, and how much money do you need, to enjoy the lifestyle you have today or do you want a better one than you have now?

Comment

I think you should sell SF3. Then maybe take ESL classes so that you can finally learn to use "their" and "there" in their appropriate places.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...