• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Positive Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive Thursday!

Wow this is the hardest thing I started. Read today about a lady from PEI wondering why Canada cant attract our young back to farming. Her husband manages a Wine Estate on the Island. Yes its farming.
    But the countries with the highest percentage of Young following in their families footsteps are the countries with the Highest Subsidies around.
    Coincidence.
    I'm not saying Canada needs to up our game and subsidise, I'm saying Canada needs to get a lot more of its shit together to move on with AG.
    I like her passion, I like her thinking, But all that is slowly killed out of farmers as they get older and see that things never really change.
    Our young are needed to keep us going, to buy our farms, to continue and prosper.
    The USA HAS MARCH 18 as National Agriculture Day!

Purpose

The Agriculture Council of America (ACA) is an organization uniquely composed of leaders in the agriculture, food and fiber communities dedicated to increasing the public awareness of agriculture's vital role in our society. The Agriculture Council of America and the National Ag Day program was started in 1973.

Core Values

ACA believes that every American should:
    Understand how food and fiber products are produced.
    Appreciate the role agriculture plays in providing safe, abundant and affordable products.
    Value the essential role of agriculture in maintaining a strong economy.
    Acknowledge and consider career opportunities in the agriculture, food and fiber industry.

Key Initiatives
    The primary focus of ACA is to conduct the National Agriculture Day Program which occurs in March of every year.
    Strategic Priorities

ACA will:
    Support and encourage programs and activities in observance of National Agriculture Day by organizations, companies and individuals.
    Provide planning information and materials in support of National Agriculture Day programs and activities.
    Inform trade and general media about National Agriculture Day and provide information to increase awareness.
    Involve the agricultural public relations community in support of National Agriculture Day.

Catchy slogans are nice but slogans are just words.
    When a young person gets beaten down by things they cant control, Shipping. Do you honestly think after a few years they want to continue. They move on and we lose another one.
    Then their is the weather in Canada, If the west side has 6 to 8 years of drought how full of piss and vinegar would farmers be.
    So yes we need our young farmers, Please encourage them, Help them along, Mentor them.
    But most important show them how it really is, How it was in the past and how it can be. Then let them go and decide if its right for them.
    To all the young guys on here and who read this keep up the good work. We need young on boards to show what's going on in Ag. We need young to spread the word. We need the young to Change the way things are. Our Future Depends on them.

Just took an hour long walk,bare feet in the sand with my wife of 36 years on the gulf coast of Florida at Treasure Island. We'll be home in 10days to get back to the grind of another crop season but for now are just savouring the moment and counting our blessings.

Comment

I believe for AG to flourish the energy must come from within not through subsidies. It needs to be led by the current farm managers to make it attractive for the next generation. Myself, I'm 4th generation here, we were established in 1892 on the outskirts of Edmonton. I was not very enthusiastic about farming when my kids were growing up, we were just getting by. They sensed this and chose other paths. The last ten years have been more rewarding on many levels but its too late for them.

I think current farm managers are going to need to encourage the youth, provide them with a little capital and get them to be entrepreneurial. I know there is lots of opportunity out there because there are currently too many farmers happy with their current status and are unwilling to pursue some of these opportunities.

Comment

I agree with SF3, it can't be sugar-coated to make it attractive, they have to want to do it. They need to be able to see the whole picture, understand the pros and cons. Farmers can't continue to be seen as a well that never goes dry by Industry. There has to be a reward for the next generation for the risk and stress they will endure. We need a the young people to pass the baton to in the intergenerational relay race. If Industry wants a fresh new batch of customers, they better make sure there is something at the finish line for the new participants.
        Enter the ten feet tall and bullet proof. Young and energetic. Those who are ambitious and not afraid of risk. They are out there' I've seen them.

Comment

On a more positive note. We don't have near the snow we had last year, thank goodness because we went into the winter wetter than the previous fall, and the snow is slowly going away early. Hopefully we won't get anymore big snow dumps, no sense worrying about things beyond my control, adjust the sails and sail the boat to the best of my ability.

Comment

I see common sense responses to PM Harper's rural defence by Brian Lilley of TheRebel.media.

We live in a land 'true north strong and free'... if we are willing to fight for our freedom... for many would take our freedoms away!!!

Comment

We have a lot more water than what should be there .
              Looks cool for 5-7 days yet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...