• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change in Wx

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change in Wx

We are saturated here and have a decent snow pack... but you don't need to go very far and boom... no snow.

Black fields blowing....

If we go back to a normal moisture situation what will happen to all those canola acres west of Highway 4?

Will Durum make a comeback in the SE?

How about lentils?

How will that change what is grown and where?

Dryer weather should also help slow the spread and strength of fusarium outbreaks... sclerotinia... etc.

If we go back to normal moisture... with modern practices... I bet this area will average canola in the 50s... and areas north of us in the 60 .

Wheat will grade way better... 1s and 2s instead of 3s and feed.

Barley should make malt easier.

Peas would be back in a BIG way.

Just wondering what ya'll think would happen in your areas with let's say a 90s' weather pattern.

Last year at this time I dropped the bump up on too wet. By mid may it was a problem again and still cold to cool.

Drew has said don't get in a hurry there maybe a late cold snap.

Comment

Our area would re-take the title of one of the most productive areas in the province if we returned to past conditions.

Comment

Previous post, same COLD WHITE as always in our area. WN expert in Nov suggested late season dump of snow some places...better NOT be here...again...

Comment

We are on the edge of good snow and moisture with far less 20-30 miles south and west. The last two months of snow/rain came down hwy 16. The farther south you go of hwy 14 the drier it gets. This is a much more normal weather pattern than the past 5-6 years - systems coming from the NW not the SW.

Comment

Probably back to 'normal' here based on snow amount. Breakup probably normal too, but reminds me of heavy reliance on June rain years. I don't believe our sub is great, and we're just north of a normal big dry block. We're North of the Battle River.

Comment

A lot can change in the next 1.5 months..The dry can become wet, and us under snow could be the dry area..

Comment

Conditions in S Ab could not be more perfect. Had good moisture in the fall and an open winter. If there was snow then we would be flooded out but that did not happen. The surface is getting dry but one small snowfall will fix that. Maybe it will dry out towards the end of the season like 2003 but right now the odds of collecting crop insurance due to drought in 15 is low.

Comment

What is normal? The prairies have only been farmed for 150 years. Maybe none of us have yet seen normal.

Comment

Snowmobiling is pretty much done in most areas..Last yr. we picked up the trail stakes on April 7th...

Crops in this area were VG..so who knows what this early melt will bring..

Comment

Ha we can still sled and will do one more run tomorrow. That I think will be the last day for sledding. Make it black has and looks like a great experiment. Some spots showing but what is melting is soaking in and not running yet. Were slow melt as last two days had a cool feeling to them.
                      Last year at this time we couldn't find the air drills as they were under snow. Bags under snow. Then it melted and we got a dump at begining and that was the end of a perfect spring. Things can change in the next 50 days but right now it sure looks like a typical 1979.
                      I do believe hockey was done as ice melted in Rink because no ice plants back then in small town.
                      Snow that's left has water but if we get a melt and it cools down lots of moisture will leave.
                      Yes I'm one who wants, no dreams of getting back to normal. Water makes mud. If we get three good rains one at end of seeding one beginning of July and one exhibition week its order bags and more bags and more bags.
                      Oh well still can dream its a long ways away but for the first time Its been a real nice late winter and early spring.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...