• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my canola digest yesterday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my canola digest yesterday.

Threw up in my mouth a little.

Any one else feel nauseous?

Yep. Oh wait it was the vodka last night.
    I'll read tonight always good for a laugh.

Comment

SF3. Knowing you, and how you may react to the drivel and drool, I would suggest go out and burn it, and soon!

It is beyond laughing already... Now I need to go get a checkup. My vessels are popping, and my gut is unable to accept food.

Yup, lets do it! Lets grow 20 000 000 acres of canola, and get an average yield of 52 BPA!

While the crushers in Yorkton unload trucks with a swing away auger, and trains haul anything BUT grain.

Comment

Was that the article about us needing to double our production? That little bar graph forgot to mention weather in increased yield. I have not been farming as long as most but I can remember not too many years ago a period when that stuff from the sky was hard to come by and the falls were a lot colder and nastier. We were hard pressed to get 30. Sure varieties are better and agronomics have improved but weather will dictate. Maybe areas with longer seasons and more rain will season a massive yield bump but in the area of the canola belt that is not that way I have my doubts.

Comment

More or less Wilton ranch. Grow more. The demand is there, so do it!

Worry about moving the tonnes later, we gotta grow more. I can't get more animals near fast enough.

Comment

Are crushers in Yorkton really using a swing auger?

Do these articles ever mention projected growth in demand?

Comment

I wonder about demand. South America Africa when their extra production is realized and even Palm oil; there better be a good demand.

Comment

Braveheart. I was told by two separate trucking companies that the one plant broke down. And that rather than fix the issue fast like, they have been using a swing auger to dump trucks.

When my wife was in Yorkton last, her observation confirmed this may well be the case: The truck lineup was over a mile long she claimed.

And we are told to grow more bushels, on more acres.

Comment

they are so far removed from reality it is beyond laughable .they got to go to a nice meeting at banff springs hotel though. they seem oblivious to what is happening in the canola industry. as does this current government . what a joke ! canola acres will be down , on the acres that are grown , yields will be down thanks to high price inputs and unstoppable greed . on our farm , canola that is being grown is lower yielding varieties with premiums attached

Comment

caseih. Same here. I signed a contract yesterday for a specialty oil variety. 85 basis. How can a guy grow regular canola if you can't convert it to cash? At least I have delivery periods laid out ahead of time, and they do monthly specialty crushes, so movement is consistent.

I have said it many times, but I will say it again. I grew 18 bushels of AC Excel canola in 1993. It was my first crop of canola, didn't know how to grow it yet. But I made more money per acre on that crop, than I can now with 40 bushels.

And they expect us to grow more? No thanks.

Good on you for bucking the trend.

Comment

Think specialty oils have increased demand. Nexerra has a good premium. Have to shop around because premiums can vary by $0.40 per bu. Going to try a field of nexerra myself. Can't turn down $11.57 this year. I think the canola councils goal is a wet dream they had one night. Let's fix the transportation system and develop more specialty markets etc. We farm so far from ports and try to compete with third world countries on bulk production. Yeah let's grow more and bin more to sell for less.

Comment

And if this kind of press takes off, half the canola will be too much...

"To produce margarine, manufacturers begin with the cheapest oils-soy, corn, cottonseed or canola, and mix them with tiny metal particles-usually nickel oxide. The oil is then subjected to high temperatures. Next, soap-like emulsifiers and starch are squeezed into the mixture to give it a better consistency. The oil is yet again subjected to high temperatures (thousands of degrees) to get a chemical change to the structure of the fat which turns it into a solid. This turns it rancid and it needs to be steam-cleaned to remove its unpleasant odour. Margarine’s natural colour, an unappetizing grey, is removed by bleach. Dyes and strong flavours must then be added to turn it yellow and make it resemble butter.

Finally, the mixture is compressed and packaged in blocks or tubs and sold as a ‘healthy food’! This does not sound like something that should be put into our bodies to me. From start to finish, the manufacture of margarine is artificial and highly processed and creates a product completely man-made. Of course the food industry would like you to believe that it is a healthier choice than butter, but this is untrue. Above is a popular picture that I often see pop up on various social media sites- even insects can tell that it is not real food that is supposed to be ingested!"

Comment

I heard its one molecule away from plastic too. Are you a dairy farmer?

Comment

I still like butter. But we sold cream years ago.
                            Funny in Hawaii they had in the freezers at Costco and Walmart a butter canola oil blended butter and butter soy blended butter.

Comment

I wonder about the heat used in processing of any veg oils/margarine, who do you believe? Buy cold pressed olive oil, but cold pressed canola is rare.

"The difference between cold pressing and hexane extraction of oilseeds lies in the initial extraction of the oil from the seed. Cold pressing is a traditional method in which the seeds are not heated before, during, or after the pressing process. Seeds are selected, cleaned, and crushed; they are then mechanically pressed at a slow pace to limit friction and avoid elevating temperatures above 60°C. Its color, taste, and odor are much more pronounced than those of refined oils.

Cold pressed oils, labeled as such and usually sold in health-food stores are comparable to whole-wheat flour, which has undergone very little processing and very little nutritive losses. Solvent-free oil is not however, as expensive as cold pressed oil. There is a higher antioxidant content to cold pressed oils (Vitamin E), which inhibits the absorption of cholesterol, and a significantly lower content of trans fatty acids. Despite these definite benefits, no regulation protects the Canadian consumer against oils falsely labeled "cold pressed". Overall, it is only a perceived difference that cold pressed oil is a better, healthier product.

The price of cold pressed oil tends to be slightly higher because of the lower recovery of oil."

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...