• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As you know im anti single desk but

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk: "Talk about having I have storage?" WTH?
    Yes, I have not grown durum. If, as you say, the CWB only took 40%-80% of a big crop, you and all the other durum growers must have tens of thousands of tonnes in storage by now. Some must be 20 years old. Is that what you meant by your cryptic comment?
    Methinks also that thou dost protest a might too much about the lying bit. In order not to get paid for your grain for 18 months, as you also say, you would have had to sell your entire crop on Aug 1( a month before you combined it) and not receive a cheque until Jan after next. Not bloody likely.
    Big yields per acre are also not new to us. We have been continuous cropping and fertilizing heavy since I was a kid. as the university economists are proving over and over, the CWB got me the best dollar for it.

Comment

Captnobvious. Funny how you love the old cwb solo much yet do not understand how it eleven worked. You really didn't know they only accepted 40-80% of the durum on most occasions. Mostly 60-80%. Yes you could have up to 5 years of durum in storage. Eventually people quit growing coupled with bad yield then the board would take it all and not at $11-12 us$ a bus. Many years there would be 80% calls on spring wheat. So for you do never have carry over then it's one of 2 things. Either you have inside connections or you over contracted. Which is it? There is a third option and its that your not a farmer at all. As for payment you didn't get your final cheque until dec of the next year. Sometimes Jan. so bin the crop in August/sept and get the final cheque the next dec/Jan. By my math that's 16 to 17 months. Sorry exaggerated by 1 month. Like your name on agriville "obviously"you don't undeer stand your beloved cwb

Comment

Farmaholic probably nailed it on the head. Multiple permit numbers and a 40T minimum per permit book. Got to love it how these guys know what's best for farmers who farm more acres checking their seed depth!

Comment

Vvalk

I have to agree with some of your analysis on this subject.

Odd I know, but can't argue some your logic here.

You couldn't have marketed grain thru the cwb in the last ten years with absorbing the cost of and storage.

But it's also still happening today.

Even if it's contracted with a grainco.

It has to get better.

Comment

No argument from me bucket. I have personally been involved wight he elimination of the single desk at every level. I am very disappointed with the grain companies most. Government is a different story. Maybe things could have been done better but it was tough sledding getting what we did is better then what it could have been. As for the railroads the attitude there is identical to the former cwb directors. A culture of entitlement so rooted that you cannot change it without eliminating it and starting over. As for captn obvious i am so sick of these guys preaching that they know what's best.

Comment

And is better then what it might have been. Is what I meant.

Comment

I guess looking back 20/20, farmers could of waited until the next election to get it done right.

I for one didn't realize the majority conservative government didn't have all their ducks in a row.

Better, yes. Done right. ? No.

Comment

Thanks mallee and ianben for outside perspective on our grain marketing and transportation.
                  Crow freight rates and wheat board have been such controversial and divisive issues that, as you can see, there is still a lot of emotion attached.
                  Many still believe that, somehow or other, any extra costs in the system come out of our pockets even if they result in more than enough extra returns to us to more than cover extra cost.
                  Has been a belief going back to start of Crow debate and all of the woe is me and hard done by complaining so much a part of agriville discussion.
                  Again,thanks for speaking out with your own beliefs.

Comment

"I am very disappointed with the grain companies most"

That's key, vvalk. The grain companies have not pulled their share of industry-responsibility in this process

Public relations wise, the graincos don't view farmers as a partner of any sort; rather they are like having a friend who never asks you, "How are you?" The grain-cos care about only themselves; hence fractured relationships.

Farmers must take the lead if you want things to change. Graincos have no intention of even wishing you a Merry Christmas, let alone asking how their service could be improved.

Might be timely for 10, 000 farmers to call a meeting at Agribition buildings in Regina, invite the media, and the graincos, to present them with pre-prepared standard contract agreements for each crop to discuss with them publicly. All farm orgs would work together to create the contracts.

Remind Regina that the restaurants will be filled that day. Numbers count. Parsley.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...