• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As you know im anti single desk but

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you know im anti single desk but

You system is way way different to Australia hence my lack of knowledge.

But pre market freedom did you still have these railway issues?

Nothing easier than here dropping it at elevator 2 hours after its harvested or bag it or sell it dairy farmer or flour mill or feed mill. But comes at a cost our freight to port 160kms is obscene at $32 per tonnebut then again no issues like you guys have and payment as quick as six days after elevating.

its the usual story. when times are good its easy to ignore the structural problems in the system but when margins tighten up all the same old problems come back to haunt. it used to be producers could add value to their production by putting it through a livestock enterprise but with the scale of operations now you cant buy 50 loads of feeders and feed them with buckets. most of todays producers aren't mentally equipped to diversify let alone having the equipment required to have anoter enterprise.

Comment

Mallee-Ports are 1600kms or more away and really only three of them. Mountains in one direction and the Great Lakes in the other.

Comment

Only once in my 30 years of farming with the Wheat Board do I remember having grain left over at the end of the crop year and that was only for a couple of weeks.
        The CWB used to co-ordinate rail traffic, not perfectly but better and fairer than what we have now.
        The CWB also had the information and the power to sue the RRs( successfully) for level of service complaints. Post CWB the farmer isn't even the shipper anymore so we have no legal standing to sue.

Comment

Then you were obviously over contracting and had inside info on the acceptance levels.

Comment

CptnObvious...

Wow... that was obviously biased!

Yes others have taken the railways...to the CTA... and won. Nabers grain"

"Naber wins CN fight - The Western Producer
            www.producer.com › News
            Jun 20, 2002 - A small Saskatchewan grain company has chalked up another major ... Naber could theoretically use the CTA ruling to go to court to recover."

"Canadian Transportation Agency Concludes that CN Failed ...
            cta-otc.gc.ca/.../canadian-transportation-agency-concludes-cn-failed-fulfi...
            Feb 13, 2014 - The Agency concluded that CN 's grain handling and transportation [failed]... to provide rail service to Naber in Melfort and Star City, Saskatchewan."

Cptn... Please check before you state incorrect biases.

Comment

...or grew less than the minimums tonnes contractible.

Comment

Tom, but he did say it wasn't perfect. We need common ground. We need to quit lobbing shit grenades at each other. Maybe I should heed my own advice.

Comment

Yes Mallee, rail problems existed before, during, and after the CWB era. It is so complicated We don't have the space to explain all the issues.

Capsulized: captive shippers, oligopoly, geography, shippers fear of retribution by RR, weather, farm politics, William Ackman, Hunter Harrison, Claude Mongeaux, gutless government leadership, a complete lack of accountability, a spiderweb of far flung branchlines, and . . .

Comment

Cptn... I think I was distracted...

BTW CPTN

Pooling charged growers the interest costs... of waiting for letters of credit and logistics problems.. since the Initial Pymt was 55-60 percent... the CWB pooled the problem... it was still on growers account. If a CWB fixed price was contracted... the majority of the time... the basis discounted total payment by 20-40$/t... and the contingency fund was to take up problems we have now... as well.. which was also funded out of the basis and pools.

Comment

CPTN,

BTW,

Growers were NOT shippers... as anyone who had CWB shipping costs disallowed by NISA.

Comment

Farmaholic

I think some new faces are required.

You look at who shows up at the decision making and it seems like the same group.
                        New faces new ideas and finally new energy.

Comment

Captn obvious. You are absolutely lying, deliberately. Anything you say now is suspect. Even if you are a single desk supporter you would say there was carry over for many years Most big crops the cwb would take between 40-80% of the grain. More often then not actually. I can remember holding durum for 4 years cause they obly took half for 2 or 3 years in a row and you couldn't buy back what they didn't call even if you wanted to. And I am too young to remember 4 bus quotas. The reason there wasnt rail problems under the cwb is that they would call the grain throughout the year be damned of your cash flow. Didn't matter I guess cause you didn't get paid for 18 months anyways. On top of funnelling it into the system they would call as low as 40% total for the year on crops like 2 years ago. Talk about having I have storage. Wow what a stupid comment!!!!

Comment

Mallee:

A few things forgotten. In the last decade, it has been raining in an enormous, typically dry area.This has made for very nontypical yields.

A couple decades ago, no-till really was just taking off, and there was millions more acres of summerfallow, which produced nothing.

And the third reason why there are issues, because of higher production, is with the higher rainfall, guys have been smashing inputs at the crop like never before, so average yields have been compounded.

IMO, it is because we have become more prolific producers overall, due to rain and agronomy.

And yes, trying to move much more grain through basically one year round port is just so stupid. We built the railines for 1950's farming practices, summerfallow acres, and 25 bushel wheat yields.

I think this issue has far more to do with the above, than marketing policy, or governmental concerns.

If we were still growing 8 million acres of canola, had 18 million acres of summerfallow, were back into more typical rainfall, and our average wheat yields were still 28, the issue would be gone.

We are grossly underbuilt.

Comment

Cptn., you have never grown durum. More years than not you had to carry over crop.

In fact, back in the day of 3 bushel quotas they almost never took 100%.

They also never had to deal with the competition we see from oil, potash and fert that we see today.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...