• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"We are all fully ... of [rail] service" now 2015!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We are all fully ... of [rail] service" now 2015!

Dear WesternVicki,
    Hunter, "removed 400 locomotives and 11,000 railcars off the rails."

The great Hunter was on track... to doubling profits...by 2018... but has he made it already???

"simpsonseeds.com/wp-co…/…/2014/.../SSI_Spring2014_News_Web.p...
    SPRING 2014. We are all fully ... of service , CP Rail blamed the weather but the truth is Mr. Hunter. Harrison, CEO for CP Rail, since mid-2012 has laid off 4550 people, and removed 400 locomotives and 11,000 railcars off the rails."

Please note the ... as shippers dare not rial the great hunter!!!

Farming 101,

Why are we operating at "maximum capacity" which is obviously not providing reliable rail transportation services to the grain industry??

Hunter is primarily responsible... " in 1998, Harrison was appointed Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer by CN. Upon the retirement of Paul Tellier, he was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer of CN on January 1, 2003, serving in that position until his retirement on December 31, 2009."

Then in 2012 he took over as CEO of CP.

On railbed infrastructure:

"Years ago I remember the federal government announcing double tracking in western Canada at huge expense. It was a MAJOR initiative.

Well, a few weeks ago I was talking with a former rail company employee and he said something astounding to me. That some of that double tracking was ripped up and the rails sold off.

I presume that IF this is true that the company was counting on computerized dispatch to better control the logistics and so it was deemed that the double tracking wasn't necessary. However, now I'm hearing of grain shipment problems due to transport logistics. If so, that likely means cost increases are on the horizon for our economy.

Either way, if double tracking was reduced, that act seems like a major short-sighted action and a slap in the face to those with foresight to build out major infrastructure for the long run.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this?"

SO who was responsible for ripping out millions of $$$ taxpayers invested in the CN railbed???

"CN Rail rips out line on double track near Jasper
    Oct. 18th, 2001 by Adrian Ewins
    excerpt:

"Railway track that was laid 20 years ago to help move grain to west coast ports more efficiently is being torn up by Canadian National Railway.

The company is removing 64 kilometres of double-tracked line from its main line ...

“It will have no effect at all on our ability to handle traffic to the West Coast, including grain,” said CN spokesperson Jim Feeny.

The track being torn up represents about 16 percent of the roughly 400 kilometres that were double-tracked between Edmonton and Vancouver in the late 1970s and early 1980s.""

There was also double track in the Saskatoon area that was laid down in the 90's I believe. The story goes that not one train used the track before it was ripped up. Just this year, they've been relaying that track in Saskatoon to double track the line again. Also, in my old stomping grounds near London, Ontario, they ripped up double track mainline (CN's mainline between Chicago and Toronto).

As far as I've been told, all of this track was ripped up under Hunter Harrison's reign at CN. He was very short-sighted, which makes me a little worried about CP's future. Make a quick buck now, but sacrifice much needed capacity for tomorrow.

Also, another interesting tidbit about the Jasper double track. Apparently CN asked Parks Canada if they can put the double track back in. And they said no..."
    Excerpt:

CN Rail rips out line on double track near Jasper
    Posted Oct. 18th, 2001 by Adrian Ewins

"Railway track that was laid 20 years ago to help move grain to west coast ports more efficiently is being torn up by Canadian National Railway. ..."

“It will have no effect at all on our ability to handle traffic to the West Coast, including grain,” said CN spokesperson Jim Feeny."

"The double tracking was laid to ease congestion..."

“There’s a fewer number of trains running on the track at once, so they... “Trains aren’t competing for track.”

“It seems extremely shortsighted,” he said. ..."

“...ripping up double track that was put in at the expense of taxpayers to send that to shareholders as well, seems really illegitimate and shortsighted,” he said."

http://www.producer.com/2001/10/cn-r...k-near-jasper/

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34590

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...