• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C-18

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only farming 20 years Hmmm!!! Call Tom

Comment

The check-offs are still in place. Make sure you use them to support public breeding so that seed sales don't become the corporate cash cow that export sales have become.

Comment

bgmb
        you are exactly right.
        every 6 months someone will be bought out. (maybe that is the payday tom was looking forward to.)

staff will be bled away.
        power will be concentrated.
        money will be no object in this.
        as farmers will ultimately pay for it all.
        Thanks for nothing.
        and not even a chance that off patent varieties would be made available to the public.

it is a sad sad day.
        why bother voting in elections.
        Bayer and Monsanto, and CN and CP are writing the laws anyway.

Comment

Capt. Will they guarantee that the check offs only go to public breeding programs?
          Other wise we should get refund and then donate outside them to the fund of our choice.
          Private funders should do the same. If you don't care leave it there.

Comment

The line companies are already setting up cereal treating stations - I can see that the only way they will buy grain in the near future if the seed is sold by them with the most expensive treatment on the market, and you will not be able to reuse on tou own farm or even in your garden. Syngenta is the first one at the trough at Cargil. We tried 80 ac of Syngenta's new hrsw, paid a fortune for it , had to pick it up and can not use it for our own farm. Thankfully it sucked, 10 bus/ac less than goodeve and fell fukin flat with identical fertility. Made my decision very easy.
            I also can see Tom's crew at Secan being irrelevant soon as well. The big boys pushed seed growers out of the canola seed business and will do the same with cereals - Tom you will be a contract grower only. That is what happened on the canola side and every seed grower knows it.

Comment

I will be requesting my check offs back if they're used for public plant breeding.

I thought those provincial commissions were set up to promote cereal market development since the CWB monopoly was removed.

Using my check off to compete against the private sector will be poorly directed, wasted money. It won't result in cheaper seed costs. It is just more anti corporate, woe is me, I'm a victim, always a victim bullshit.

The check offs themselves are nothing more than another tax on farm income anyway.

The commissions have become merely the new battleground for left vs right farmers. SK and MB's meetings have both become locked in the agri political fights.

Comment

just watch now the feds will dump funding completely for breeding.
                sell off or give away everything the
                public has to the big seed co.s.

and these things will happen right in the middle of seeding or harvest .

remember after pbr all the little breeders in the states were gobbled up.
                i do not think it was for varieties they had but just to put them out of business.

this legislation prevents a revolt of the farmers when things get really ugly.
                by taking the royalty off anywhere in the system , the govt. is now the collection agency for the seed co.s.

now the state working for the corporation.
                all this coming from tom and the conservatives, who pretend to talk about freedom.

a world where a RR can falsely bill 100 million $ and face no penalty.

but a farmer who believes he has been shafted by a seed corp. faces garnishees , fines and damages enforced by the federal govt.

i actually thought tom in one of his posts yesterday had a conscience,
                his glee today proves i was wrong.

Comment

i forgot one thing.
                  the gov. will create a self regulating body. kinda like the chemical co.s have
                  to insure that if the Chinese or anyone that would undercut the big boys tried to come in . they would be blocked by regulation and fees or tariffs.

Comment

brave heart you are in a real hurry to get cereal and pulse seed prices caught up to canola.
                    i think they were just about hitting the wall on what they could charge for canola seed. but if wheat is 50$/ acre to seed. canola can be 100$.
                    Who are you working for again?

Comment

Time To Start Looking fer a Way Out Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let da Hutts Farmitall!!!!!!!!!!!

FCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I will gladly have my wheat check off go for public breeding. Who wants a canola model for cereals. Only those with vested interests or with ideological blinders on! Maybe a vote by farmers to see if this is a good route to follow. Oh, I forgot,farmers aren't given the right to vote on serious issues. Right Mr. Ritz?

Comment

99 can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone but looks like you will get a chance to pay asking price on the seed you paid to develop, then pay a royalty for growing/selling it AND get to pay the check off so it can start all over again.

Comment

How or why would seed from public breeding be cheaper? Seed, like everything else, will command what the ark et will bear for price. To not would eventually lead to its demise.

Aren't a lot of seed distributors owned by farmers? SeCan, FP Genetics, Seed Depot?

If public breeders aren't competitive with pricing, how would they have enough return to attract breeders, or afford the genetic materials or land and other infrastructure? They can't totally fund it from check offs.

If the commissions use the money for plant breeding, who is promoting prairie grains and working on market development?

Comment

Braveheart - CIGI, CGC (read their mandates) and the seed Co's themselves, should be sure that there is a lucrative market before they even start any development. Including the export end use market.
                              What is the use in use paying/ buying/ growing something nobody will pay a price that makes it profitable for us to grow.
                              Royalties should be a % of market price maybe then these guys would make sure that the world was paying top $

Comment

wmoebis,

Most often royalties are a direct percent of the sale price of seed... and adjusted for the length of time a variety has been released... the longer the time... generally the lower the royalty. This is not limited to PBR varieties. competitive nature of the seed market... limits the royalty that can be charged in significant seed volumes. Secan generally works in this manner... being a co-op... it is not driven by profit but by R and D considerations.

Which is why in general... fears about UPOV91 have been overblown and political... rather than realistic and rational.

All the best.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...