• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need a spokesman or group that works for famers!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I have said if Ritz would have listened to the Compas review and did as was recommended and open a Grain Farmers Advocate Office with unlimited power and access to everything about the grain industry, or at least left Ass't Commissioners in place. He could have even increased their powers more than they had.

Makes you wonder if there isn't something more to hide than meets the eye. Why pay for a review then not implement recommendations.

Comment

Grass farmer
      Who is in charge of the NFU? It's sad but I don't even know. Isn't it the leaders of these groups to be on top of stuff like this? I get to watch people throw toilet plungers at toilets on the news but when is the last time NFU has made a press release about anything?

Comment

I had an 18.year old working for me this spring. Good and bad he was a first timer. He took a 6 week course started with cn for 70, 000 per year. 140, 000 after 4 years. We farmers are further behind than most think.

Comment

I agree with you grassfarmer whether you like them or not the NFU is the only farm group that seems to work For farmers. There are lots of pretend farm groups that actually are yes men to the industry

Comment

From Australian perspective farmer advocate groups will always be fractured,you would think farmers all have common needs and causes but reality shows that isn't so.
            We have a national farming body here and state based organizations, the state based organizations can pay to be a co-member of national body. The national body has been on life support for years wereas state bodies flourish and haven't joined national body.
            I pay a levy of I think currently 20 cents per tonne which funds state body and livestock and dairy and horticultural and wine bodies all pay a levy.
            So in our state we have Grain Growers SA, Livstock SA beef and sheep, SA dairy and SA hort asscociation and SA wine g**** growers all separate enitiies and they all meet queartelry to discuss issues which are common but rest of the time do there own thing for m,ebers. At anytime growers can have there levy money refunded despite people occasionally not being happy ive never heard of anyone requesting a refund

Comment

To be leader of the nfu, you need to have run for the NDP or be an organic farmer, at some point. Good luck getting farmers to join the nfu en masse, when it chooses leaders like Nettie Wiebe, and the likes.

I am not sure who the current leader is either. Obviously right on top of things, huh?

Comment

Then each state is divided into regions and and local issues can be raised with state body perfect no but is ok. The national body is top heavy with to many over paid professional staff with only a handful actually being farmers wereas state body is run by farmers with only I think 3 paid staff who are non farmers rest of the board are farmers renumerated for there time and effort. A farmer can only sit on the board for 3 years max so fresh ideas and thinking but a standing meber can renominated after sitting out for a year all members vote on appointments. Have a agm in big smoke usually a few hundred turn up and issues and policy direction are thrashed out, they do a lot of lobbying with state govt and federal.

The biggest issue I guess they ever faced was the touchy issue of single desk menbers voted roughly 60/40 at first in favour of change that wasn't enough in there eyes then a few years later swung to 70/30 and change commenced.

It won them a lot of support in the end meaning they actually listened to farmers and number of active "young" famers involved probably tripled and older ones over 60 plus dropped off.

Will do some research on your nfu to see if its similar

Comment

Why would anyone want to improve on what already exists? More glory in reinventing the wheel. New and better ways of doing things. Previous generations knew nothing and old principles dont apply to new problems. Nothing old here boys, all new issues. Sarcasm fully intended.

I belong to no group. I do have an opinion of which would most align with my opinion though.

Comment

nfu website doesn't show structure of organization if its farmer controlled or what?

Farmer apathy kills.......

Do you have local nfu branches?

Comment

Had good visit with American grain exec based in Canada. He marvelled at the access to govt we had compared to US farmers.
                      Just thought I'd throw a positive out there.

Comment

The Quebec farmers have been laughing at us for years. All of them MUST belong to the union( UPA) and therefore have a strong voice, represent ALL farmers( by majority opinion) and don't have to worry about losing memberships. Out west we have a different organization for every topic and if there ever is a disagreement within an organization, it splits to form a brand new one. Gov't can pick which ever of the dozens of different view points they like and can claim that they have consulted with and are listening to farmers. We make it so easy for them to screw us.
                        Join the one organization honestly for all of us. Join the NFU.
                        The NFU: is run by a board of directors, 2-3 from each province plus a few execs elected at the annual meeting.
                        Jan Slomp is the president.
                        Most members are conventional farmers.
                        There are NDP, Lib, Green, and whatever else as members. I have spoken personally to Conservative NFUers.
                        They DO put out press releases, one every few days, Canadian media considers ag to be a low priority and farm media has a right wing bias.( I sent in a letter to the WP urging people to join the NFU in which they edited out every reference to the NFU. This was not by any means 'Thou shalt not advertise in the letters section' because they left in references to APAS and others.) Comments from those who has studied NFU documents have assessed them as in depth and insightful( 'near clairvoyant' said one).

Comment

Grassfarmer almost nailed it for me. I would prefer to say is folks don't seem to grasp YOU have to take personal responsibility.

By saying that YOU are charged to be active in whatever farm group suits your needs/wants/personality. Whether you like the NFU, WCWGA, APAS, KAP or whatever, if want advocacy in your desired direction you need to do more than just belong.

Directors of such organizations need and want feedback from membership. Sure, there will always be directors that just want per diems, dinners out,and other activities?, but the majority want to work on your issues. But they need to know your issues.

No new group needed. That would only further splinter an already crowded landscape of farm groups, and not accomplish one new damn thing. Just, YOU, take the time to join and support whatever group that appeals to you.

Comment

You mean that unless someone tells them what is going on they won't know? That's there job !
                            Were the ones in the trenches here! We have to do everything? I kinda got my hands full here without another job. A good hired man can work unsupervised, is that what's needed? Supervision

Comment

Directors aren't mind readers. Your paying to join to work on your issues. That's YOUR issues.

Example: So, you leave them alone. They approve UPOV. They go the Keg in Calgary to celebrate. You get the newsletter and say WTF just happened? Then you wonder why didn't they read my mind? I could have sent an email from my smartphone while seeding. Damn!

Comment

Thats how democracy is supposed to works too GOODRUM, elected officials are the representatives of the people so to be able to do their job well they need the people to give them direction. Where democracy and many of these producer groups break down is the leaders start following their own agenda and soon become alienated from their members or those they should be representing.

Jan Slomp is a good friend of mine and along with his predecessor Terry Boehm are two of the smartest leaders in CDN agriculture. They both have a global knowledge and understanding of the issues through having spent extensive time in Europe that tends to be lacking in many other prairie based farm groups.

I see some of the recent issues the NFU have press releases on are:

NFU testifying on Bill C18

An OP ED on public research and extension being the key to adoption of farmer controlled pest management.

Enhancing pollinator health and reducing the use of Neonicitinoid pesticides in Ontario.

Federal Government must ensure fusarium research genetics remain in the public domain.

Not bad in my opinion for an organization on a shoe string budget, entirely reliant on member donations - and only farmers can be members.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...