• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where will you cut back?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea giver shitt breadwinner , just don't put more into your crop than insurance covers, I burnt a lot of big canola swaths in 2004, my coverage didn't cover my losses , uff daa !

Comment

Oh wait the new insurance that covers your costs so you can give it all it needs till harvest.
      FM.
      Every one that's taken because it's a basket crop hasn't got a check but paid a premium.
      Mother Nature just when you think you got it figured out comes around the corner and nails you right in the berries. Enjoy!

Comment

No one has mentioned getting rid of excess equipment or cutting the draw from the farm account (other than the one post about women and drinking)

To me, you don't make money cutting inputs. You can probably trim a bit by trying to use the right product but that can be a double edged sword.

Maybe attending one trade show and not 10 is also a good spot to start. I am amazed at some of you that can spend 2 to 3 days in each place (Red Deer, S'toon, Regina, Brandon and some show in North Dakota).

Comment

I mentally calculate all purchases day to day as $ /ac. (Except booze etc.). Fixed costs like debt and rent can't do as much about. Other mental go/no-go is "does it make bushels?". That cuts a lot of crap right there. My ex-wife is now a fixed cost. She takes all the trips she wants.

Comment

Richard the 5th: Good points.

Comment

Richard Very good points. Many farms have fixed costs and overhead way higher than they need to be. Hired man doing all the work while they go to a meeting or conference every second day all winter.

Comment

Also agreed Richard5, how much of the same shit can you see and hear in the same year? Couldn't it all be seen and heard in SKtoon at the Crop Production Show?

Comment

Some personal experiences: Gained $970.75 on a mere 47t of canola by making elevator redo dockage assessment using the right sieves. That is $2000.00 per rail car.

Gained 16 cents a bushel by catching a typo error on protein from machine read out to what they had entered on check.

In both cases elevator said they made human error mistakes. Not same elevator or company.

Pay attention at the grading bench and you can make alot of money left on the table.Not saying happens all the time but more than you think.

Comment

Boy I bet you were popular. But this is hardly a popularity contest.

"Human error"... hmmmm?

Comment

Good point on watching human error - agreed happens a lot, you have to watch every load now more than ever.
                      As far as cutting back I agree with richard5
                      We made our adjustments after the hail/droughts/frost from 2000-2004. We went back to basic fertility at seeding than top dress when / if conditions are favorable. Not going to change that approach. Just adding foliar fert to herbicide and fungicide - if needed and not making a separate pass in the wheat and canola, worked well last year for us. Maximizing time at seeding the past few years has paid huge with crop quality and an earlier harvest.
                      May switch to more affordable herbicides and fungicides and stretch rates again depending on how much foliar fert we use at the time.
                      At the end of the day crop prices are better than last year this time. Fert, canola seed were slightly higher in Nov over last year and fuel will be down. Buying fert/seed now is for sure a lot different though as many have pointed out - the fert rat race has become a joke to say the least.
                      I don't see much change in herbicide or fungicide prices over last year.
                      New iron will be out of the question for a good two years - by far the single biggest jump but can be avoided with no harm to bottom line or efficiency.
                      Zero extra trips or money wasted on trade shows regardless if wife pays or not - still the same pot at the and of the day.
                      It's not all roses but certainly not the wreck some say it is, in this area anyway. Grain movement has been ok here but good pricing opportunities are like waiting to shoot a gopher after 6 pm.
                      The trick will be to keep peas in the rotation without getting wiped out again for us. We took it on the chin last year, as did a few others, but we learned some valuable lessons and hopefully can avoid a wreck here if we do not get flooded out.
                      Also agreed on the yellow peas, very few times you can lock in over $8 for fall.
                      CPSW could have been locked in for over $5 as well as malt but that's a crap shoot IMO.
                      Good HRSW is still a mystery to me but I think it will sort itself out later - much like yellow peas are now.
                      So my glass is still half full for now, even after a shit kicking in our pea crop last year.

Comment

Good point wmoebis I once made 3 percent on a 400t canola contract (12mt of canola) by taking my samples to the grain commission and eventually making elevator redo dockage with a smaller screen. They were using a. 040 slotted to begin with

Comment

Exactly in my case the elevator had to phone the CGC to see if the way I was telling them to assess my dockage was right.

You would think they would know how seeing as they buy thousands of tonnes a year.

In the case of protein they machine read 13.0 prot and 12.6 moist. I looked at it and even took a pic of reading with my phone. When I got my check it was 12.6 prot and 13 moist. If I hadn't looked I would have never known except I have my own prot machine so know ahead of time.

Saw a scale ticket that had an extra zero on it. Trucker caught it as he was way over on weight. Elev said it was a typo on entry how many typo's are for 2-300 kg or more that we never miss or catch. Doesn't need to be 0 on end could be a 1 instead of 7 in middle.

In this day and age everything should be directly entered none of this writing on a sc**** piece of paper then entering it later maybe by someone else that can't quit make out your writing so guesses.

Comment

Everyting From A-Z n' Back Again,

EXCEPT,

What aFarmin' Said, Will Be Doin The Exact Opposite!!!!!!

Oh and More Land, Always Lookin 4 More Land!!!!!!!

What You Think We Out Here 4??????

Do Thee Impossible,

#WeOutChea!!!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...