• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where will you cut back?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where will you cut back?

I think it has been shown that the lack of competition in Canada in fertilizer and in canola seed manufacturers are going to raise our costs even though the value of our end product is going down. From that viewpoint where are you going to cut expenses to make it work? I talked to a seed grower the other day, he said raxil pro was going up to 3.45 a bushel but that he used a big enough volume he could still sell it for 3. Are seed treatments getting out of line as well? Anyway just curious what will you do to make it work at least on paper?

More pulses. Canaryseed. Barley. Growing a few more of these more economical to grow crops. Seeding some irregular pieces down to hay. Fencing a bit for the sheep. Not buying unnecessary items that together add up fast. Seed treatment is a good example for those who use it. Spraying fung. only if conditions warrant, not willy nilly. Maybe mine a bit of p and k.

Might even summerfallow a bit intentionally for the first time in 20 years, and use the opportunity to drain some of the most affected flooded land. There is never time in the fall to do this. I hate summerfallow, but I gotta get it cleaned up, so that will save a fair bit of input costs.

Not a whole lot of places to cut and NOT affect production really.

Comment

If they make economic sense, why weren't you doing them already?

If they don't make economic sense, why do them now?

Comment

Not trying to be a smart ass, and since my farming days are almost over it does not matter to me, BUT we have played into there hands. Yes cropping year after year is better for the land but along with that comes much more major consequences.Fertilizer, chemical, fungicide is now more than ever needed. UNTILL we cut back on production and or the use of these products, you guys on here are barking up a dead dogs ass about companies lowering there prices. Gouging is a way of todays standards, in any industry, if permitted. I will be honest seeing posts on here about this is getting almost as tiresome as Kaisers posts. This is not pointed at all towards you Hamloc, just stating a true fact. Only ME, YOU, US can prevent this, but I would say we as farmers in general accept it instead. There, i feel much better now.

Comment

Agchat

Well said.

In other words actions speak louder than words.

Until we all make reductions nothing will change.

It's funny but over the last decade I have been paid better for a poorer quality crop than some of my best.

Comment

Anyone remember focus on simpatico??
            I was having to much fun to pay much attention to this at the time but recall some of it.
            Ken Gowdy was the man ?

Comment

For the most part agree with tweety. Gonna try and cancel one info service. Try and fall deliver the wheat again to save bag cost. Try hiring a good guy for $35/hr for less hours instead of a schmo for $18.
              Cutting out the fairy dust might be an age thing, I'm just done experimenting with some stuff.
              Field delivered liquid more money than granular but way less time, hence a savings I believe.
              As little HRS as possible. So, gotta buy some certified seed. Cross my fingers on repairs. Get rude with salesman if I have to. Personal expenses already at nil.

Comment

Yup. Ken Goudy was right. I agree with y'all about maxxing out, only to get low returns.

But truly, unless we get a new Goudy who has the energy and forthwith to move forward on a sabbatical, we are beating our heads against the wall.

Because of this, I am transitioning to less risky farming.

I will say if it got the momentum it had before, I would bet many more would look at it more seriously. I know I would... He had the plans to play the markets to offset near zero production. That part was much less well known about by farmers than it is now.

Is he still around? we need to bring him back!

We are too efficient, ironically enough.

Comment

For months I said the boom is done and was laughed at actually ridiculed.
                  Company's don't give a shit about us. They don't.
                  We're their bread and butter but still they will mine us right till our last breath.
                  Over producing never worked. Never.
                  When the crush plants had no canola years ago and they new only a few had they did a shut down here then their then more bogus shit till some new crop finally arrived.
                  Mean while stats can played right into their hands with bumper crops coming and our markets crashed.
                  When will we get it as farmers, never as long as we all go in different ways.
                  But I digress!
                  1. Seed treatment bought for wheat and barley, will use since seed quality is lower this year do to fusarium.
                  2. Wheat acres dropping 500 to 1000. If they play games with grades, basis, etc. I'll feed pigs before I give it up.
                  3. Oats have 3 for fall on half production will increase acres to 1000 plus.
                  4. Barley acres up with malt tons no price booked yet, Usually get malt so why not.
                  5. I hate peas but going back to 1000 they give next year canola a boost and have some fields that haven't been for a few years peas. Price for first 20 on fall good, real good.
                  6. No new certified seed this year, none except the canola because we're forced with a gun to our heads on that one.
                  7. Soy seed canceled can't spend on a unsure crop, need every acres.
                  8. Canola seed at 4 this year, just a burn off then one liberty maybe two, no centurion.
                  9. Fert bought last fall and xmas for ammonia. But the 120 n is going back to normal. Phos and sulfur at normal.
                  10. Lower end wheat sprays, generic. And only roundup for burn off.
                  11. Early diese in tanks at low .70s a liter.
                  12. All equipment purchases not going to happen.
                  13. No useless purchases, welders jacks hoists shop goodies.
                  14. Rents are dropping by 5 to 10 a acre but we don't rent much.
                  15. Less poor hired workers. Pay good better to keep.
                  16. Drop anything that was nice to use to grow a crop but basically it let you sleep a little bit better and believed the crop looks better because of them.
                  17. Hunker down,
                  Again it's simple try to grow a great average crop for average expenses and enjoy the year. Going balls to the wall is nice, but it doesn't help any of us. Good luck to those who think it works, some day you will understand.
                  Ah farming!

Comment

Two trips/year instead of four.

Comment

Sorry grrrrrr the wife pays for all holidays. farming is farming.

Comment

I'm cutting back on alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, promiscuous women, gambling, and travel.

No room to cut back on the farm, far too many businesses and people rely on me.

Personal sacrifice....

Comment

While you guys are all running from the carnage I'll run towards it. Take on more land, fertilize heavier, use better seed, funguside the crap out of everything, get more bushels!!! That's the way to make money. Best advise I every received was if everyone is selling start buying and if everyone is buying you better be selling. Farming is no different than buying stocks the more bushels you grow the more dividends you earn. This year will have good canola and wheat prices, specialty crops will tank, oats and barley will be overproduced. I basically do the exact opposite of market forecasters and found I'm better off.

Comment

Breadwinner. Shhhhhhhh. you gotta be more stealthy, man! You gotta say the right things, while maintaining "the plan" deep down inside...

Comment

Bread your funny. Yes what your saying is true. Like the 80s when others were down size we expanded. But that was when land went from 160 to 75 to 55. Pump the piss out of your crop good for you.
                              Like that works, why over produce, Mother Nature has a way of equalling things out. Enjoy!
                              But bread did show one thing by his comments. The industry will win every time when we work against each other with the me myself and I! Attitude. Divide and conquer!
                              The industry always wins.

Ah farming!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...