• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

opportunity for us

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opportunity for us

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL5N0LF3MZ20140214?irpc=932

So near zero cost is like a back haul instead of going to China empty. Unlimited labor in China to play with grain in mini bulks at their end.
    If enough of the shipping goes this way, either container cost would go up, or bulk go down. Things are getting strange alright, smaller is better/cheaper/more profitable!
    RR's, loading docks, better not start screwing us on handling charges either! Insurance?
    So only big IF is payment for goods shipped, major item unchecked.

Comment

Most international trade is letter of credit from a major bank.... that helps quite a bit.

Smaller is sometimes more efficient.

Right now good red spring wheat #3 equivalent 12.5% or better protein is trading around 330 usd delivered to port.

Comment

There it is again that MISSING $5/ bu.
        "Smaller is sometimes more efficient",
        Yup that is a fact... for most business.

Comment

Klause,
          I'm interested in where you discovered the quote for #3 at port(which port).
          Ag Canada lists #1 13.5 at West coast as about 335 CAD; St Lawrence about 350CAD.
          Thanks

Comment

Last I heard, container grain shipping was not under the revenue cap.
            If freight is actually lower cost because of maximum revenue entitlement agreement for bulk grain then it is a disincentive for container shipping.

Comment

Perhaps the missing $5 per bushel that some see is a penalty rather than a premium for Brand Canada and Made in Canada system.

Comment

No... It's Canadian companies selling it for that amount.

I've found 2 of our grain families on Alibaba so far selling Canadian wheat, canola, oats, and soybeans...

I won't say which ones, you'll have to find it yourself...

$330 CAD FOB. $5 is the margin between us and that boat... Basically grain companies make 50% much like input companies make at least 50% on our backs...

#1 wheat doesn't get exported. It gets blended for the most part.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Never thought of poking around Alibaba to see who is using it on the Canadian end.
                  #1 Wheat: In the first 5 months of the crop year 1,577,500 tonnes of HRSW was exported as a #1. Likely some goes out by specification rather that grade as well.
                  CGC and Stats Can.
                  However most is as you say, usually blended when preparing a grist.

Comment

"exported as a #1"...

Kind of like Viterra buying your #3 as a #1.

The bills of sale for my wheat going out in a container also say Canada #1, but the physical specs are equivalent to a #3 CWRS.

Figure that one out.

Comment

Not likely I'd ever be able to. It just leaves you scratching your head!

The CGC makes a lot of their being on the job sampling, weighing and providing an official grade as grain is loaded into vessels at port, containers may be altogether different. Who knows for sure? What a system...

Comment

Yup!

What I don't understand... the CGC grades grain going into ships... but internationally, buyers ask for SGS results, and samples...

That brings up the point, is the CGC redundant? Is it actually useful for something? Does it just cost us money and offer lip service?

I don't know much about bulk trade, but it can't be that much different.

dave, you do exports, what have you found?

Comment

I would think a container destined to an end user/customer would be all about the specification. It would have nothing to do with CGC grades.
                          The customer is always right.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...