• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W.P. article : Bill C-18 will take from farmers pockets

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W.P. article : Bill C-18 will take from farmers pockets

Just read this article in producer , and started wondering why the old NFU is the only farm group concerned about this ???? Good on them ! Where are all our "concerned" farm groups sitting on this ? Seems to be a real uncomfortable silence. Surely everyone can see how poorly the canola experiment has worked ? And where are all OUR check -off dollars going ??? Make no mistake ,these are our dollars ,and you people that are recieving them must not forget it ! Maybe someone from Alberta Wheat Commision , Keystone, APAS (another check off) , Sask. Wheat Commision , etc., etc., can come on here and clarify their positions on this ?

Don't worry Captain Dep will explain that one also!
    Farming in Canada is being destroyed and blindly we sit bye and watch. Three blind farmers.
    Time to sell out and quit this shit.

Comment

http://www.producer.com/2015/02/bill-c-18-will-take-from-farmers-pockets/

For those who would like to read the article mentioned above.

Comment

Yah, but think of the great new varieties that will result in this, we'll be producing 26 mmt's of canola per year in no time (and selling it at $6 per bu).

Wonder why the checkoff groups arent voicing concern over this??? Simple math, more tonnes produced x $/tonne check off = more check off dollars to hire more staff, more international travel, etc. What a joke. I hope everyone is remembering to fill out your checkoff rebate forms and stop feeding this nightmare.

Comment

The cereal seed companies seem to think it is a good idea.

Comment

Please do S3

Comment

Let's be very open and realistic bill C-18 has nothing to do with making farmers more money. What it will do is allow seed companies to extract more money from farmers with endpoint royalties. Canola is a prime example of what occurs when big companies are allowed to restrict competition through control of intellectual and genetic material. Allowing these same companies control over cereal crop breeding under the guise of advancing cereal crop performance through private research is a farce. What we need is more public investment in such traits as fusarium resistance, from what I see crop quality costs us far more than underproduction. Leave it in the public domain so all can benefit not just a few large corporations!!!! My rant for the day.

Comment

In my hystory I believe we have had advancements in cereal breading as much or more than canola breading. We are doing good. Soon wheat barley oats etc will be bread on sask3kauai farm also. Just joking sask3 your like an ant compared to them land owners out there. Just saying. Just saying there is a mo ey grab about to happen and most locals wont get it.

Comment

I wonder if there is any other industry that has been as badly sold out to corporate interests as agriculture.

Comment

this govt. s priority's are pretty screwed up.

How about getting what we produce now.
                    to market first.

all this extra production would get to market ? exactly How?

so the goal of our govt. is pick farmers pockets to give to private seed breeders our cash ,

to supposedly breed higher yield crops,

why well i guess

so the railroads will always have something left to haul . if everything else dries up.

and the grain. co.s can increase their handling charges and basis.

Ah now i see , it makes perfect sense now.
                    sorry
                    i would have got it sooner ,but i got too pissed the night before the wheat growers convention,
                    and slept thru the explanation
                    the next day.

Comment

Let's produce more for less. Just keep the ball rolling, but we will conserve our topsoil. That will be our saving grace. Yeh, right!

Comment

https://www.realagriculture.com/2015/02/recap-changes-plant-breeders-rights-will-seed-expensive/

Follow the other links for the different Real Ag coverage
                        https://www.realagriculture.com/?s=upov 91

When all of you pull your check off how will you fund a "farmer run" breeding program?

Comment

maybe same way we're coming up with $700 /bushel for canola seed . make no mistake , none of this is for our gain. just another way to suck the last little bit of profit we have

Comment

CaseIH, point is that these programs need ongoing sustained funding to be viable.

Without some sort of a value capture model to make public or commission varieties be sustaining you will end up with a NONREFUNDABLE check off.
                            While SPG has proved to be a lifesaver in pulse breeding there are many cases where I wouldn't want to give a blank cheque to other groups.

Adoption of the UPOV 91 treaty has allowed most of our international competitors to develop programs to be world class with non of the fear and end of world farmer peasant scenariors that you see playing out. FYI the 91 in the treaty's name stands for 1991.

C18 allows Canadian farmers the same advantages.
                            If you would point out 1 public breeder working for CDC, AAFC, or the universities who is not in favour. I'd like to meet them.

Comment

so farmers opinion is not needed or count for anything ? just curious , do you think we are getting $700/bu value out of this canola seed ??? or do you think maybe they are screwing us just a little ? funny how we always have some expert telling us what we need to stay viable . I definitelely never supported the CWB , but my opinion was that if all the grain co's wanted it gone , it wasn't going to be good for us ? well it sure hasn't made a bit of difference here in the n.e. but the grain co's have huge profits because it's gone . haven't heard hardly anything out of any farm groups on that issue ? supposedly our wheat in Canada is superior , meanwhile we are getting one of lowest prices anywhere , just so tired of the same shit being shoved down my throat , c-18 will be the same cash grab , but a few years from now take comfort knowing YOU supported it

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...