• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Our Charliep

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Our Charliep

Charliep wrote me a while back and told me he is retiring from his career in the Agriculture Dept at the Gov of Alberta. And retiring in his official capacity, I think, is that right Charliep, from Agriville.

I'm tattling, Charliep

I don't know when he retires, but you know how fast time flies. So, before he quits typing, I thought it would be very nice for AV'ers to take an early opportunity to say the things we always wanted to say to Charliep. ;= D
    Pars.

I recall the exact second I met Charliep in Calgary, Alberta. . He probably wishes he hadn't after all our set-to's lol.

Have thoroughly enjoyed out association Charlie, and the bouts we've had; akin to #UFC, but always civil and measured and Ive always learned from you. You are conscientious and knowledgeable and a asset to agriculture.

Mind you, you do have a few moments of confusion when it comes to organic agriculture, but I I think if you begin to backyard garden, you will recall some of my comments about growing good food.

Retirement doesn't mean Charliep won't post on AV again; but I'm going to guess it ends his official capacity as referee on this site.

You are a very special man, Charliep, and I'm a better farmer for knowing you. Thank you for your dedication to the entire Agriville community.
    And good luck in whatever you may do.

xoxoo Parsley

Comment

Always the voice of reason.

Comment

Hard to imagine that someone so engaged in ag policy and marketing is retiring, but time waits for no one.

I expect Charlie will be travelling the continent on a motorcycle, and logging into WiFi's at all opportunities to check out AV… and correcting us when we are blatantly offside.

I join Parsley in thanking you for your commitment to farmers and ag policies that are focussed on bettering farms and our families.

Enjoy you retirement Charlie and, should you travel eastward to Kenosee Lake, please stop in.

Cheers…. Bill Duke

Comment

I agree 100% Parsley, Charlie has taught me a thing or two and always tried to bring things back to the topic when they went off on a tangent.

Don't be offended but I consider you one of the "Old School" government employees, where your passion for the job had you going above and beyond what was expected.

I was always impressed how you kept your responses professional when under personal attack from AV posters. I am sure what you really wanted to say would would have meant early, early retirement. Ha.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Comment

Charlie is a great guy. He takes a beating... and keeps on ticking!

As has been said... time waits for no one!

Talking to Charlie last week at Farmtech. He isn't done yet...

But we wondered how to keep subjects on the positive side... and concentrate on issues we Can manage... do a better job on them...

How can we manage exchange risk to increase returns?

Encourage competition that creates a better functioning market for our grain?

As usual a good truck, some patience, good will, and careful attention to marketing pays good returns!

Know what a reasonable profit is. let your marketing partner know what you need. If too much gets produced... just like with black oil... no one should be surprised when the price drops... like it did in 2013-14.

OPEC can't stop the price of oil from dropping... and all they need to do is shut the tap off a bit in Saudi Arabia.

Cartels do not stop over production or prices from dropping. New production and more supply drive prices down... in all markets.

We cannot defy the law of gravity.

Nor can we ignore supply and demand fundamentals in our grain markets.

At least the livestock people are willing to book grain supply... and not depend on the CWB to hold in grain free of charge to supply the domestic market.

Supply and demand... not command and control that picks winners and losers!

Thanks Charlie for honest debate... not political rhetoric!

Have a great spring everyone, Never have so few been blessed with so much!

Cheers!

Comment

Enjoy your retirement Charlie.
              I think he will still drop into Agriville, only difference is he won't have to be as diplomatic.
              I can see him opening several trading accounts and applying different marketing strategies to see which works best. Then become Western Canada's biggest philanthropist from giving away the spoils of his trades....

Best of luck, tour safe...

Comment

Minds like Charlies never retire.

With appreciation and respect!

Comment

We mostly argued and that's ok, Life does move on. Good luck on your retirement. Enjoy the next stage of your life.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Not retired yet but close.

Kinda like jumping out of a airplane with a parachute for the first time. You have been well trained/know what to do. Your parachute has been packed correctly and with 99 % certainty will open the way it is supposed to. The only challenge is the guy who is holding the rip cord or whatever you call the thing that opens the parachute - you.

But maybe that is the challenge we all face when we do something the first time.

Comment

You are correct on the Rip chord it is you who is in control of that. On selling out and moving on that is the stage I was at last spring. Its a tough tough decision. But what ever one you make once its pulled you stick with it and adjust the sails. I didn't sell and that's quite fine.

Comment

There's a craft beer in the fridge for you anytime Charlie.

Comment

All the best. Would be nice to have a beer and discuss both sides.

Will you send your replacement here for a hazing?

Comment

Now there is an offer I can't refuse. Made with good local malt barley I hope.

Comment

And if you would like to drive a tractor this spring I could put you to work too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...