• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argentina to restrict wheat export permits if low prices paid to farmers!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argentina to restrict wheat export permits if low prices paid to farmers!

WTF if grain companies are selling the crop on the world market for way more than they are paying the Argentine farmers the Govt wont give these companies a export permit.
    So this is more like it. Protect the Farmer. Wow what a novel Idea. Yes then their is a trickle down with Taxes to Gov and farmers will spend.
    But in Canada We just let the big boys get bigger then retire and sit on their boards.
    Ah Canada, Ah Farming.

Wheat exporters who buy the grain from Argentina's farmers will not be issued permits if they pay the growers significantly less than the international price for the crop, the government said on Friday.

The announcement, by Economy Minister Axel Kicillof, followed complaints by local producers that government restrictions on wheat exports artificially suppressed local prices. The government said the quotas are to make sure local consumer prices are fair.

"We will only give export permits when the price that these exporters pay the producer is near to the international price," Kicillof told journalists after a meeting with a leading farmers' association.

Relations between farmers and two-term President Cristina Fernandez have been severely strained since massive farm protests six years ago over her tax policies.

Leading grains exporters operating in Argentina include Bunge Ltd, Cargill Inc and Louis Dreyfus Commodities BV.

"We understand that exporters are paying between 900-1,000 pesos per tonne of wheat while the selling price abroad is between 1,250-1,500 pesos per tonne," Kicillof said.

Argentina's 2014/15 wheat harvest has just been completed and the grain is trading at about 1,000 pesos (about $115.70) per ton in the Rosario grains market, significantly below the 1,450 pesos in September. (Reporting by Maximiliano Rizzi; Editing by Richard Lough and Steve Orlofsky)

Funny thing it takes our Reporters and Experts in Ag Months to see that a Industry has problems. Look at Thursdays papers. All headlines were about Piss poor Basis, Freight problems and Why the Canadian Dollar isn't reflected in our price.
    Way to go Bucket and BTo etc. who every day show Farmers that the Market in Canada is broken and only one group is winning and it sure isn't us.
    Ritz made a good decision to end the CWB but then he went on holidays and took the Grain Companies advise that they would handle all the details. Well they sure did a good job.

Comment

Just look at the Deal Klause is doing over 9 put in a container and that's from the middle of Shit hole Saskatchewan all the way to China's mill.
      WTF should be the words out of every farmers mouth this morning.
      Basis is F$%Ked in Western Canada. Grades were getting is also F$%Ked.
      Basically Ag in Western Canada is Pooched and again the Industry Destroyed all for personal gain.

Comment

How dare you insult vvalk! This site is intended for real problems need I remind you.
        Now go sell your wheat for 3 or 4 bucks less and just be quiet about it. Please! Tired of this phony whining.

And klaus quit posting that fiction bullshit!! We re not supposed to know all that stuff!!

Comment

Funny when we have real issues that effect real farmers where are big time posters like Tom 4 ME My Self and I and someof the other posters.
          We all farm so why not get on the same page. The Grain Companies last winter Used the Railways to take all the shit that happened with excess production. They made out like bandits. Now a year later the Dollar is diving and again they sit quiet and we farmers get skinned. Funny one group has continually Winning and it sure isn't farmers.

Comment

There are a couple of farm groups that are not doing too bad being funded by graincos and railways and now getting funding from ritz to look into the problem.

I am sure it will be a non biased look and solution.

As I spit out my coffee laughing at that one.

Comment

Yes Argentina Gov wants taxes from farmers and if the Grain Companies aren't giving the farmers a fair shake then the Gov looses. But Its farmer down not us on the bottom like here and what ever meat is left on the steer were left that amount after the vultures pick it almost clean. Great system in Canada.

Comment

All links of the Ag Indusrty chain need to make money but none should make excess profit at the expense of the other.

Primary grain production is a tough risky business. It is not a "business" that the usual corporate business model can be easily applied to. Enter Broadacre and OneEarth and the like. How long did they last? There is not enough money generated or the ability to price your production to ensure profit under the current system we operate under. No one likes to work for nothing or in essence have their efforts and good fortune(2013 good crops) stolen right before their eyes.

Comment

2013 should teach farmers that the Canola industries great plan of Millions of tons will give farmers less way less money. If the grain companies took the 2013 crop and it wasn't as big as the experts said how easy will all this extra production get taken.
                  And Companies promising great seed that will increase yields by double but pay us huge dollars for seed Mr farmer. Yea we need over production here also.

The world isn't out of FOOD!

Comment

Good job, Argentina! The intent sounds great and would work if other nations join in. I guess the effect of one country trying this is limited by the clout it has on the world market and the demand for wheat.

Think it would work like a grain cartel?

It has occurred to me that since we are the major supplier of lentils to the world, we should be able to control the price,( if marketers and farmers could cooperate.)

There has to be a way to support farm gate prices and ensure a fair return to producers. At least we know Argentina is trying.

Comment

The first words out of my mouth this morning were too personal to share here.

The next conversation was, we're going to keep looking for how to improve the business. The budget is tight on some crops. Gotta find a way to shave 5% off of projected costs. Basis bids for wheat are staring to get interesting again locally. If we can hit a target basis 5% above the best bid so far it would be good start.

We'll haul the rest of the annual ryegrass this week. It was a great paying crop last year. It was a good move to replace some of last years' wheat acres with it.

Rather than depend on Gov't like Argys, or complain about Ritz, I will focus only on things I have control over.

Comment

Always have said that bumper crops are a recipe for disaster.

But most will still hold to hoping for consecutive bumper crops.

Got to get rid of that attitude?

Right or RIGHT ????

Comment

Always have said that bumper crops are a recipe for disaster.

But most will still hold to hoping for consecutive bumper crops.

Got to get rid of that attitude?

Right or RIGHT ????

Comment

One off, what types of "grass" are you planting this year?

Comment

Sorry, that was Braveheart.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...