• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Canada! Our Canadian Dollar and Grain!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AB gov't just announced a new commission to look into price diff on retail price between USA and Can. The. First place they should start is on grain prices at elev. Or maybe AG Canada could set up a commission or expand the Grain Commission mandate.

Comment

AB gov't just announced a new commission to look into price diff on retail price between USA and Can. The. First place they should start is on grain prices at elev. Or maybe AG Canada could set up a commission or expand the Grain Commission mandate.

Comment

Price difference on retail is easy dollar explains but on grain no one wants to answer my question.
        Answer is easy Because we can do what the F$%K we want. Signed by every grain company out their.

Comment

Or take me to court like the RR's.

Comment

And after farmers spend millions of dollars on lawyers as the process drags on with a court case the lawyers win. Finally farmers drop off as lawyer bills get higher and higher and grain companies make it look like all is good and life goes on.
            Ah what a system .
            60 reply's and no expert to explain how on Wheat were getting no benefit or actually any crop.
            Because the truth is we have no chance at recouping the low dollar cost from grain companies its their extras tookage.

Comment

This could answer some of your questions. From Feb 12, 2013 WP

Wade Sobkowich, executive director of the Western Grain Elevators Association, said there is only one pot of money, and farmers will receive less for their grain if they are paid for storage or given less dockage.

“If they pay farmers for on-farm storage, then money has to be taken away from somewhere else,” said Sobkowich..

Maybe they are just building a slush fund incase they can't make contract commitments or farmers start complaining more about excessive dockage etc.

Comment

“If they pay farmers for on-farm storage, then money has to be taken away from somewhere else,” said Sobkowich.

In the US there is very little "on farm storage"

So with that comment, we know where Mr Sobkowich's interest lie.

Comment

Unfortunately we have got what we asked for. I could cry in frustration because I have warned of this. Our complacancy over the past 5 - 6 years is coming home to roost. WIT looks ****ing brilliant now... BTW a birdy told me that WIT made over 10Mil in 2013. For the record not current P&H employee or former director of WIT.

Government should have forced use of ICE Wheat futures as a part of their commitment to help establish market. At least we could have had a more transparent form of arbitrage when the CAD strays this far from Par USD.

The days of Farmers working together to build something seem so far away.... I guess it's buy ADM, CERES, AGT, stocks and hope it work as a bit of a hedge. Until there is enough motivation to change things, oorrr the next supply crunch.

Comment

Mbratrud

No one asked for ****ed up thieving system. Most just wanted to be able to sell grain on their terms. Like sign a contract months in advance and deliver it as the contract stated.

Not for more or less or 3 months late.

That's what most wanted.

Now we get an 80 cent dollar and a minus 3 dollar basis with an export price of 9 bucks which customers are paying. And graincos are pocketing the difference on both price and grade upgrades from prairie to port.

Comment

MB,you guys fought the good fight and dumb asses like me thought it would be a route,never take a knife to a gun fight i guess.

Comment

I use WIT as only an example of a whole laundry list of Farmer influence that has been lost in grain handling and marketing.

This isn't a CWB thing I still believe VERY strongly that Marketing Freedom is important.

But the government IMHO failed miserably, in following through to ensure the industry came out competitive.

Things that could have been done were kept control of rail allocation and inventory financing until the system was running smoothly.

The Market will sort itself out and a low production year would be helpful. There are opportunities to market at fair prices. Producers really need to be on top of things.

I think when a Grain company has a $3 basis they clearly don't want the grain. And all farmers need to educate themselves not to sell when the market is sending those signals. I do think that will come with time as well.

In the meantime a grain company grading and evaluation system like trip advisor might go along ways towards starting to hold them to account.

Comment

But grading in Canada is a science.
                          First you suck grain through a vacuum to a holding point.
                          Then you put in a dirty shaker. Weigh out the particles that come over top.
                          Now the fun part you put on coke bottle glasses these are special glasses given to only the top grain graders in Canada. Ok all are given these their is no top grader in Canada.
                          Now you grab set tweezers, It doesn't matter what your looking for this is your prize to get the most kernels you don't like out.
                          After you have looked and looked and looked you now check moisture and protein and then dump into the feed bin number 32 which is on a big board. The big board has a number two poor written in the bin slot.
                          Ah grading in Canada.

Comment

Haha I agree SF3, Poor choice of word on my part, rating system so 5 star grain Co vs 2 star grain Co etc... rate on service, grading, payment, contract tardiness...

Comment

Its funny we have a super terminal about 10 km away and also haul 90Km to another terminal.
                              I went with load to local our hired man went on road trip with load. Funny can you guess which one was home and loading first.
                              Our local is so bloody picky its not even funny.

Comment

Ya that's Cargill for ya.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...