• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flax variety

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flax variety

Just wondering what flax variety to go with. I see seed growers promoting newer but been there dont need that.

Definitely don't grow flax. Its a terrible crop.

Comment

Iam not paying fir canola seed. I grew flax before so know about it. Thinking bathune.

Comment

Bethune good as any out there

Comment

Tweety's goal is to keep everyone else's acres low so his flax is worth more. Prices have held up quite well. Nets out better than some of the other options

Comment

Yes it nets out now but after a million acres are seeded the price will tank. I'm to chicken to lock in full production and then have my crop go to shit. Do agree more money there at less risk than canola

Comment

Farmaholic

I am with tweety's strategy.

Comment

Flax is bad bad bad. What ya gonna do with the straw? horrible mess volunteers, low yields, very limited weed control.

No active trade, they give you a price once maybe every three months - and often just get a no. Terrible decision.

Comment

Bethune stands well. Ya your right on some of your thoughts tweety. We used to chop the straw when we had old convention combines but when we got a rotor that stopped. It just twisted the straw into ropey lumps and killed the chopper belts and tensioner. So unfortunately now we burn it and I hate doing it. Chem control sucks a bit but with Authority now registered that helps. Volunteers can be taken care of with fluroxypyr in cereals. Use Headline it pays not costs. Limited market info but no different than peas, lentils, mustard and such crops, price discovery is you on the phone...

Good luck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...