• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VB Wheat

We are told to only keep seed for 2 yrs after Cert...So what happens if you use the seed for 3 or more yrs.? Loose the Midge tolerance? No one has sprayed for midge here for the last 3 yrs.. More are going for Fuzz. tolerant wheat ..

You should have kept a bunch the first year off cert and only used it in subsequent years. The stewartship agreement, in this case, is really for our benefit. That's how we managed it. But I hear ya, fusarium has become a much bigger battle.

Comment

I have better luck with farm saved or neighbour bought. Biggest screw jobs ever were was when relying on seed grower seed picked up at planting time. My experience. Peas broke all to hell. Flax in six inch lumps. Wheat or barley thinner stands.

Comment

You can reuse it as long as you want to... just blend in a little bit of non-tollerant seed... I.E. Barrie or something. You need to keep refuge in the seed to give the midge something to go to.

1 to 2%.

Comment

They say this is the only fix for midge and I like not having to spray. A 1/4 of certified seed should seed 3 or 4000 acres. The varieties are high yielding. If you want to save seed every year, buy a different variety that is not midge resistant. Don't screw this up for everyone.

Comment

Some of the wheat's that are better for fuzz, are Poor rated for sprouting..Which in the NE, that could be a real issue..

Comment

What variety are you growing partner?

Comment

Utmost..

Looking @ Morris and Plentiful..but P for sprouting could be Ugly in a wet or humid fall..

Comment

"Don't screw this up for everyone"! No kidding.
                  There is logic behind the demand to only cycle twice off certified. Only having one gene for control of midge is precarious, and it will only take one selfish ass to select a population of resistant midge. If your too cheap to follow the rules the rest of us follow, there are lots of other genetics for you to use.

Comment

How about do like we do grow a quarter of new variety that is only for seed each year then clean that and use for the midge. The more time its reused the midge tolerant ones are lost till you have shit.

Comment

Agreed Coleville, if you can't follow the rules, buy insecticide and sit in the sprayer so I don't have to.

Comment

#BinRunTheWholeFckinWorks2015

Fck em'.

Comment

LOLLLLLLLL

Look at All The Fckin Dumbies On This Thread Worried Deys Pretty Wittle Hearties Over Some Midgies!!!!!

And Yet Not a Peep Over UPOV 91, n' How Our Seed Rights Have Been Stripped Of Us all in The Name of "Bringing us High Yielding Varieties", Like We Need More Grain on The Market!!!!!!!

Fcking Pathetic To Say The Least.

#BinRunFalconTillTheDeathOfMe

Comment

BTO LOL. I quit expecting a free lunch when I moved out of the folks basement.

Comment

Eye've bin robin-n-steelin teknowledgy since the day I was old enuff to plant cedes in da grownd. Rr cnlowa easyist to theive.... if ewe cant beet em joint em and smoke em at there own game.

Hows that Coleville?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...