• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory Labelling

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory Labelling

A recent survey by the OSU Dept. of Ag Econ finds that over 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA,” about the same number as support mandatory labelling of GMO foods “produced with genetic engineering.”

If the government does impose mandatory labeling on foods containing DNA, perhaps the label might look something like this:

WARNING: This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The Surgeon General has determined that DNA is linked to a variety of diseases in both animals and humans. In some configurations, it is a risk factor for cancer and heart disease. Pregnant women are at very high risk of passing on DNA to their children.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/01/17/over-80-percent-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-containing-dna/

There are Europe s countries where the people expect the "right to know" about GMO materials on their food.
    Strangely I have been in discussions with a Denmark company that insists on organic and non GMO grains.
    North America we eat whatever is cheapest and don't really care about the contents as long as the government says it's ok and we are looking into it... For 20 years..
    I have becOme quite a hippy watching food documentaries on Netflix. Food Matters, GMO-OMG, Forks Over Knives, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Hungry for Change.
    Usually I am eating a box of chewey bars drinking a Pepsi, but I find if a person takes an impartial view to these movies, there is considerable insight to a part of the population in North America.
    I gave up on the notion that I will be part of the greater good feeding the world, so I better figure out who I am selling my grains to and try for profit.

Comment

Of course your chewy bars and pepsi is labelled organic???

Comment

I have lots of question. Maybe I should just join that crowd sorta like infiltrate as a spy.

Comment

Hopper, the chewy bars are organic but the Pepsi is the traditional pancake syrup served chilled.
          I'm definitely a living hypocrite with all the cigarettes and booze and poor diet. Thankfully my wife does care for the well being of the family and we have a good balance.
          I do like Bubbles (trailer park boys) song " Liquor and *****s" n cig'rettes n mustard n Bologna n liquor n *****s.
          There is a very interesting cross section of organic farmers all over. Some are business/money types, some are philosophical anti Chem,fert,herb GMO types. Then you have the brilliant soil microbial and plant interaction ecosystem farmers.
          If a person could learn all of that and bundle the most important parts of each, that would make a very successful organic farmer.
          I am too occupied trying to balance raising children and tractor time to apply any real objection against my neighbors.
          If you got a chance to talk to some of these organic guys I'm pretty sure the conversations would end up very common. Everyone is trying to grow the best yeild and sell it for the most money. Usually it ends up talking about why something worked or didn't work.

Comment

There is a generation that seems to insist on getting what they want/ask for. So, I think it's a good target market.
            I grew up eating what's in front of me, or go without. The end. There was not much opportunity to be fussy at our house.
            In all fairness to my mother, she always carefully prepared every meal so that us kids had two choices .
            Take it, or leave it.

Comment

Did anyone take time to read the article? I note that the reference is anything containing DNA should be labeled. DNA is the code of life contained in all living beings genetic make up.

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/01/17/over-80-percent-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-containing-dna/"]Washington Post[/URL]

Comment

Hobby, I loved that last post. It kinda hits home.

We were told the same , although it was no big deal. We ate what was cooked. I can remember eating liver with a pile of mustard relish on it. It covered up the taste.

Our kids were raised the same. They eat pretty much anything.

Comment

DNA is scary, let's ban it. Hobby, I've seen all those so called documentaries, you may want to balance some of that bullshit with some actual science.

Comment

Ado, I like to think Im doing market research from my couch. Right or wrong I am looking for consumer trends .
                    Coke and Pepsi never would have become billion dollar companies using science to back their marketing/advertising. They are so successful, now, they own bottled water companies. Thats brilliant.

Comment

Charlie, I had not read the article through. It is more about political and scientific ignorance of the masses in the USA and other countries. It's seems as though it is commonplace to be ignorant and unaware of current events/topics. So changing a few letters, words or phrases can easily trick the general public if they are not attentive/independent thinkers.
                      Consider though, we as farmers are basically growing or raising protein and nutrition which can be scientifically measures and listed on a nutritional label.

Comment

Hobby, you sure you still don't have some DNA free wheat to sell?

Comment

80 percent want.dna labelling
                          80 percent want gmo labelling
                          Hmmmm

Comment

I have plenty of grains riddled with and doused in DNA and they are selling without objection at this time!

Comment

Don't forget that in addition to being chock full of DNA, all of the crops we grow contain at least 10% diHydrogen Monoxide!!! The shame!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...