• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Marketing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Marketing

The canola marketing fell off the bottom of the page so I am post a new thread. At least for me, pretty interesting action right now. I will note changes in old/new crop spreads. Others have asked is a sustained push to $460 is possible on the March. Will the May/July keep up?

It looks like farmer selling is putting a lid on price at $452. We're trading in step with bean oil, not beans. I think we're going to trade down to close the inversion but Monday is likely to prove me wrong. Something big is being set up one way or the other.

Comment

I was looking at the $10 inverse between Mar and Jul a couple of days ago and was thinking that can't be sustainable, I better buy that. Never did. Its now $3.70. That would have been easy money. Good on ado for getting the timing right on his basis roll.

Comment

Below is this weeks COPA weekly canola and soybean futures board crush margin. I follow them for trends.

[URL="http://copaonline.net/"]weekly board crush[/URL]

Comment

A 50% margin drop in the last 6 months. A lot less profits at these levels, a signal?

If there is any relevence to the chart based on how they come up with the numbers? But a guide, none-the-less.

Comment

I priced a small basis contract I had from fall today at just over $10 net. Squared away the stupid $425 Mar calls I had sold during harvest by buying some Feb 440 calls. Worst case on those damn things is up $5 now. I still get to play if the bottom falls out next week. Held on to 10 short futures at $440. I think I can sleep for a couple of nights now.

Comment

Have to admit, I don't fully understand.
              Hard to play when I don't know the rules.
              ado, how would you say you've averaged
              over the last few years?
              Ahead
              Even
              Behind
              ?

Comment

No more jan delivery anywhere.

Comment

Farmaholic, last year I shit the bed and averaged just over $9 at the bin. The year before I was probably pretty average. Sold near the top the two previous. I have an aversion to locking anything in that's not already in the bin so I've missed a few opportunities. I'm still learning the details of trading options. As I go I've started to make some rules to follow to minimize the hurt. This winter I'm trying to make $3-4K a month speculating as a source of off farm income. I've got a way to go but it's coming together and it keeps my mind sharp over the winter. I've developed a new fondness for short dated (<2 weeks before expiry) covered calls, especially if you can pick up the futures position a few dollar under the strike, it's quick low risk money.

Comment

Comment

Farmaholic, last year I shit the bed and averaged just over $9 at the bin. The year before I was probably pretty average. Sold near the top the two previous. I have an aversion to locking anything in that's not already in the bin so I've missed a few opportunities. I'm still learning the details of trading options. As I go I've started to make some rules to follow to minimize the hurt. This winter I'm trying to make $3-4K a month speculating as a source of off farm income. I've got a way to go but it's coming together and it keeps my mind sharp over the winter. I've developed a new fondness for short dated (<2 weeks before expiry) covered calls, especially if you can pick up the futures position a few dollar under the strike, it's quick low risk money.

Comment

Comment

Ado,

What are the commissions like on your short term trades? Don't they gobble up most of the premium? Who do you use?

Comment

Charlie, I got nervous and sold the 800 tonne of canola today at 10.05. march delivery.
                            if price dips next week maybe I will buy it all back on paper.

anyone know a good broker??

Comment

Crusher, depending on how many contracts I'm dealing with commissions are right around $1-1.20/mt by the time I'm in and out. I should probably find something cheaper but they've been good at teaching me as we go.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...