• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much less Canola and HRS are Guys going to seed in 2015!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much less Canola and HRS are Guys going to seed in 2015!

It just amazes me how our once great crop was destroyed by a group of greedy companies that took control of our crop and F%^Ked it up.
    Ill lay out my plans its easy Acreage prospects at Sep 2014 for 2015 were over 5000 acres or half.
    Acreage as of today for 2015 is 35% less, Replaced with Flax which can contract for a good price and peas yes peas found some virgin ground.
    HRS will be dropped by 25% from last few years and replaced with Barley and Oats and maybe canary seed.
    What are others thinking.
    Its one way!

Canola up a bit, but still less than 25% of acres. Rotation is important to me.

Hard red- Replace with CPS for hogs. sick of growing fewer bushels and getting almost the same price as for milling anyway. For four years, the barns have been competing. acres same

Canary- a bit less. scared everyone is growing some

Barley- Less. a quarter of feed. My sheep gotta eat, and barley, even feed pencils ok on my farm with decent yields. Balance to the barns.

Faba- couple quarters to offset high costs elsewhere. Supposed to be very well adapted for high moisture. Long season though. Barns will buy 'em at feed pea prices.

Flax- none Everyone and their auntie is growing it. How much does the world need?

Peas- Acres same On my higher, drier land go the peas. Economics of lower inputs, and guys are so mad at them, somebody's gotta grow them!

Comment

The peas as pissed off as I was at growing them the virgin land might help. India has issues seeding pulses. Hopefully some decent fall prices out next week. Elevators don't decide you farmers just get 6.76 we make the difference. 8.25 and yes Ill bite.
      Flax yes every one and his dog is going to grow flax. Everyone.
      Durum is also a crop those who can grow should do well.

Comment

All my previous canola acres are flax. Only a quarter of hrsw. Growing canary. Ya I know acre shift is going to be bad.

Comment

Definitely trying to put more peas in, we haven't sold any yellows yet and with the price creeping up(according to Johnson's Daily Email) they are going to be one of our better paying crops this year. If I have high ground that hasn't had peas for 4 years will probably end up with peas.

I am on the fence for wheat. At 5-5.5 feed wheat I am tempted to grow Pasteur/Proclaim/some kind of CPS rather than a HRS. I do have some Waburton acres so I'll put some HRS in.

Canola. I would love to boycott, love to take a break but the fact of the matter is with Nexerras at LDM we are looking mid to high 10's. Any kind of rally and I'll try and lock in something at 11. A 35-40 bushel crop still pencils not too bad.

Comment

Half oats half canola. No peas after the last three years with my clubroot scare. Longer rotation was my answer as Im one of the lucky ones is Sask with it. Wheat is out as well. Might reduce canola if I like the looks of something else but thats the plan today

Comment

Lord love a duck. Flax buyers out of commission.

Comment

Lord love a duck. Flax buyers out of commission.

Comment

Canola and hrs will both be down here. Will be replaced by more lentils and barley.

Comment

Canola looks to be steady here
                    HRSW down
                    Peas , some guys 100% less , some 100% more
                    Barley up
                    Canary up
                    Lentils up
                    CPS wheat red/white up - husky in Lloyd driving that market here - they are still paying $5 for Fus wheat - hard to believe with the huge supply in the area. I heard as high as $5.35 cpsw for next fall - very tempting to boot hrsw ..... and local line companies

Comment

Our crop acres have just doubled since last year and we'll keep our canola right up there. Our. budget doesn't have canola projected as great, but at least it's in the green. Demand for it is strong from crushers here. We have ADM at Velva, Northstar at Winkler and Hallock (MN), and Bunge at Altona. Our farm is lucky to sit in the middle of those destinations.

Wheat in our budget is a dog and we're looking to replace a lot of those acres, some with ryegrass, but still looking at barley and/or oats. Barley and oats at least have positive margins and either crop can help us lower input costs.

We haven't ruled out buckwheat or soybeans as well.

Comment

Soybeans slowly relacing canola acres. Id say farmers east of portage la prairie already growing more beans than canola on farm, slowly dropping acres as they become more comfortable growing a large amount of beans. Hrs acres dropping, replaced with pastuer, fahler and prosper. Yields 80-100 bpa and price to feedmills has been good. Too many unknown grade discounts on HRS wheat, cannot forward contract because of this. More grain corn ever year. Minnedosa ethanol plant pays well.

Comment

Canola and hrs might drop 10-20%.
                          personally peas will be up,(fed up with high inputs) but in general i do not know, because there were a lot of pea wrecks.
                          other than that we had pretty good canola crops, wheat varied with frost and fusarium.
                          Oats , flax,barley , Durham just do not pencil because of freight or climate.
                          we are into the same old thing where we will oversupply every market.

rents will hold for this year , but
                          if things stay the same next yr. i can see people backing away

Comment

Canola has made up 50% - 60% of my rotation for the last 4 years with the remaining portion being mostly oats with a little wheat or barley.. My average canola yields were:
                            2010 - 0 canola seeded too wet.
                            2011 - 30
                            2012 - 8
                            2013 - 40
                            2014 - 16

I took a huge loss on canola in 2012 and 2014. Three strikes and your out. In 2015 I will be 60% Oats,
                            25% Canola and 15% will be going back in to perennial forage. Oats pencils a profit at $3.00/bu which is already out there for next year I already have land in hay production and forage yields have been excellent the last few years and there hasn't been a problem selling hay at an average price to make some profit. My canola breakeven is 33 bu/acre. That's all costs in. Risky in an area where moisture has ruined canola in 3 years out of 5.

Comment

If there is another rally with wheat before spring seeding I will put the whole farm in wheat , easy crop to grow and good money.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...