• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken rental agreements

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken rental agreements

Last post in rents Bucket posts that most cannot be changed or ended without notice sometime in November....I've always heard a full years notice unless stated in the lease.
    Without getting into too much detail I had a signed rental agreement that was broken by the landlord before the term was up(land was sold very quietly). No I didn't have the lease reg as it was a three year lease(lesson learned). I've talked to a couple supposedly knowledgable lawyers that have different views on who is responsible(old landlord or new landlord). Of course they both say for 5-10grand they will get compensation for me. Question is has anyone else come across this situation and/or know of a lawyer knowledgable in sask agri land leases?

1st thing to do is contact new owner and tell him of the lease and your rights and your purchases of inputs and contracts on grain sales and then ask his intentions. Any rental agreement should have first right to match an offerred price. A letter from a lawyer should only cost 75 bucks. Your lawers you talk to are *****.

Comment

Where do you find lawyers today who will write a lawyer letter for you for 75 bucks? Now, they all want retainers and you have to pay for them to research the topic first, far as my experience, but then I haven't phoned every lawyer put there.

Comment

Very Simple,

Call The New Land Owner Up and Tell Him That YOU Will Be Harvesting The Crop Next Fall Whether He Plants it er You Do,

And If Not, Yer Shark of a Lawyer Will Be in Contact With Him Shortly. Period.

Pay and Smile Boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I do know of a situation where this has happened before and the way that the farmer found out was the vendors real estate agent called him to see if he was interested in buying. There was only one year left and it was the farmers poorest land so he did not contest it.

Comment

How many renters have actually paid their rent? Every landlord that I know is having trouble collecting.

Comment

I can't help you WCSk, other than say last winter the exact thing happened to a neighbour of mine. He just let it go, but I feel that just rewards the bad behaviour. Fight the good fight, and good luck to you.

Comment

I guess it's good to hear this has happened to others....
                This happened a year ago so yes I did go through the steps mentioned. Talked to both landowners...was told too bad. Had a lawyer send a letter to new owner stating I was going to farm it...reply was the cops would be called and I actually did get a call from them. Next step was actually taking this to court but that's where the 5-10grand came into play so I just left it.
                I do have two years from the time of the first letter being sent so am still pondering on it as I feel that I have been wronged but I just don't think I have experienced lawyers to handle this situation. Yes some income has been lost but its the moral part of this that effects me the most. I guess why have a written contract???

Comment

Move on, the only one who will come ahead is the lawyer. If you go to court and lose you pay their lawyers fee as well. This is a life lesson, and by the way it sound not a very serious one.

Comment

Bought some land a few years ago. Renter had a three year contract with two years left. Wrote on a piece of scrap paper with a right of refusal. Gave him his chance to buy, wasn't interested, I bought the land and let him continue the lease. I don't get where you should have to "register" or have a lawyer be involved. It was probably a couple of neighbors of yours and I would make sure the gossip train new about your situation, not that they probably haven't got it figured out already.

Comment

One hour sometimes comes free. So a letter can be written cheapo. Anyways a verbal or written agreement will last through a buy out. In fact the new owner probably cannot step foot on the land. It is ownership of the renter for the length of the lease.

Comment

I was under the understanding that leases were null and void when or if the land is sold. Conversation isn't nessessarily part of the deal with land owners and renters. I happened to me with family. Had been renting and farming a cousins land for 30 years and found out that it was for sale after it was advertised. I had to fight to recover cost of fall applied chemicals. It was ugly and still haven't forgive them for what they did.

Comment

Right to place caveat on title included on my leases.
                          However, the landowner has all the power and you have all the bills to fight it. Ive had signed leases reneged on by owners. F all u can do.
                          Half of my owners make up their own contracts anyway. Sign em or F off!
                          And yes they are now making as much or more per acre as i do.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, think I will just mark this one up as a lesson learned and move on.
                            Funny how we hear of all the unpaid rents to landlords...well, some of them deserve it when all they care about is the top dollar.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...