• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is the fertilizer industry really full of shit!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the fertilizer industry really full of shit!

Global demand for nitrogen is strong, but challenges such as oversupply and geopolitical risk could darken skies for fertilizer producers, according to Alistair Wallace, senior consultant for nitrogen for CRU Fertilizers, based in London.
    "More crop acres and increased application rates across the world have pushed total nitrogen fertilizer demand from 81 million metric tons in 2000 to 105 mmt in 2010, to 116 mmt in 2014," Wallace said. "It is expected to be 128 mmt by the year 2019."

Speaking at the 2014 Fertilizer Outlook and Technology Conference this fall in Savannah, Ga., Wallace said nitrogen demand is on the increase thanks to a growing world population that needs more food.

World population (and thus nitrogen consumption) was a fairly flat line from 1750 to 1950, but since then, both have increased dramatically, Wallace said.

Fertilizer producers responded to the increased nitrogen demand by building more world capacity in the last 10 years than in the previous 25 years.

Increased urea supply between now and 2019 will come from China, North America, the former Soviet Union, Africa and Latin America. In fact, capacity growth is now outstripping demand. Beginning in 2014, capacity is expected to be more than consumption through 2019, he said.

"It almost feels like the world is drowning in a sea of nitrogen," Wallace said.

NORTH AMERICA EXPANSION

North American nitrogen production is set to increase from under 15 million tons a year in 2010 to an estimated 20 mt a year in 2018. North American nitrogen demand is set to increase as well, going from 21 mt in 2010 to a forecast 24 mt in 2018.

CHS, Inc. is taking advantage of the Northern Plains oil and natural gas supply by building a nearly $3 billion nitrogen fertilizer plant near Spiritwood, N.D., according to Brian Schouveiller, senior vice president for ag business North America for CHS, during a presentation at the 2014 DTN/The Progressive Farmer Ag Summit.

Currently, the U.S. imports about 7.2 mt of urea, the vast majority from the Middle East/North Africa. In 2016, U.S. production will overtake imports as several nitrogen plants around the country come online, he said. "By adding fertilizer capability, we will eliminate much of these imports over time," Schouveiller said.

The U.S. is competitive against the global marketplace at current natural gas prices. From a simple cost of production, the CHS facility would be at about $124 a ton, compared to the Middle East/North Africa, which averages $80 a ton. Yet, once transportation from that region is factored in, domestic natural gas has a price advantage over the 70-day shipping cost to upper Midwest. All of these costs related to energy should be coming down in the future.

Iowa Fertilizer Company is building a nitrogen fertilizer plant near Wever, Iowa. The plant is near 75% complete and the facility is on track to operate in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to the company.

Once completed, the plant will have a yearly capacity of more than 1.5 mt and will produce urea, UAN and ammonia, as well as diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).

CF Industries began $3.8 billion in nitrogen capacity expansion projects in 2012, which include new ammonia, urea and UAN plants in Donaldsonville, La., and a new urea and ammonia plants at the Port Neal Nitrogen Complex in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa. According to the company, the plants are progressing on time and on budget. The plants at Donaldsonville are expected to come online in the latter half of 2015, and the remaining plants are set to operate in 2016.

So if their is lots and lots and lots of product their and coming on line and lots of cheap natural gas to produce the product. Why The F%?k are we paying more in 2015 than we did last year. Yes the USA dollar is up but this is Canada and its made just down the road.

Ah farming where nothing makes sense.

My point being that all along they are creating a shortage in NA limiting tonnage to suppliers. Keeping prices up and basing it on US Dollars vs. Canadian. Its all a big game yet their is no one watching out for consumer. US the farmer.
    Sad but the truth is farmers always have to pay to play. Fun game farming.

Comment

There is only one group of commodities that go down with oversupply - grains.

Every other commodity has a built in profit and gouging index or factor.

it only costs 125 a tonne put potash in a rail car. But in saskatchewan where it doesn't see a railcar it's 500 a tonne.

Urea same thing is priced out of Nola except it's exported to the states mostly by truck.

Only mosaic has the phosphate monopoly and they control shipping to create shortages.

And the regulators and those that say they look after our interests look they other way.

Comment

Agree the fertilizer industry does what ever it wants.

Comment

There may be some logistics problems this spring due to US farmers not spreading as much fert. this fall. I think they will cut corn acres a little this spring but not by much. Overall there plenty of capacity coming on stream over the next couple of years so the FNA proposal is dead in the water.

Comment

I agree the FNA proposal I think is dead. Their is way to many plants coming on stream or running now. But why is their a price increase this fall that is just plain out to lunch. That is the Billion dollar question that the Fertilizer industry will take all the way to the bank.
            Ah when their is only a few how the price is set. Same as grain industry etc.
            Farmers wake up over producing is killing us.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Why?

Why the **** ate farmers expected to store crop for the convenience of the grain and rail companies.

And then store fertilizer for fertilizer companies.

Then listen to shortages?

Phos could be positioned in the prairies from July to April. So could urea. And potash is here. So when they ship potash to port phosphate could return.

If our government had an ounce of sense they could make bins a better tax break. And prebuying everything a better deduction until the industries gets their storage in place.

This is inexcusable to listen to the nonsense these companies invent to justify higher prices.

Comment

Had this conversation with my fertilizer supplier yesterday. His explanation was urea is 332 US a short ton at the port of new orleans. It costs roughly 100 dollars freight to get it to western canada then you convert it to a tonne and canadian dollars and it was 565 if I remember right. It is without a doubt bullshit but he says that is how our price is determined. He also suggested anhydrous was more money than granular this year per pound of n which surprised me but I might have misunderstood him.

Comment

If it's 305 in the states at Nola maybe they should hide the fx in the basis like grain.

Like to see where this discussion goes now.

Interesting way they determine price and use the fx in the calculation.

Depape, you want to explain?

Comment

Urea at Port dropped to 320.

Read http://farmfutures.com/story-weekly-fertilizer-review-0-30765

Comment

Its 100% bull#$@%. Would be different if it was made out country. We should getting urea in the $300 dollar range facturing in all the cost. Last spring proved it was all bs. "We can't get enough rail cars to ship our fertilizer to port so the price is going to be higher." Every fertilizer retail had abundant supplies of urea after spring seeding. No shortage at all but an oversupply. !00% price gouging

Comment

I don't know why a person ever complains, this is Saskatchewan where the highest price is the law. Everything is compared to some far away place and priced to truck it from there to get the Sask price

Comment

58 a lb for nh3 ugly, dealer not impressed, 20% up from fall.

Comment

That's full service you own the tank?

Comment

As you guys know I was invovlved in importing fertilizer to south Australia from 95 to 2000 from Bangladesh mexico south Africa and tampa so ive been on both sides of the fence.

I priced all my fert back in late sept for 2015 year pay in march, was kinda like getting poked in the eye by a fork to buy then and even now is ok there will be more rises for a various reasons.

haven't read much of the above but india and china basically control the market on the demand side.

if I say to much I will sound like a smart arse and sask will hate me....

ps our company got bought out by the devil viterra who have since sold it "margin to thin" to loius dreyfuss Australia.

margin to thin or top heavy to many costs as farmer we ran mean and lean but ultimately got hot for competitors so they bought us out removed athreat and has since started again with my best my but I was only involved in initial first three months this time round.

we peaked out at around 95,000 tonne after 28 thousand in our first year was a learning curve a very fast one.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...