• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soft White Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft White Wheat

Thinking of growing some Sadash next year. What are its other end uses/qualities if ethanol tanks. Lots here are throwing hard red under the bus and I cant blame them.
    Local viterra sending all this year to coast. Can if wish, lock in over $5 for next fall.

If you are in a long growing season/moist area, it does very well. Hog barns like it, but buy it at a significant discount due to protein. If I could grow it and have it mature in time, I would do it for 5 bucks in a heartbeat like...

Comment

One risk I do see is that just because last 5 yrs have had good rain we could be back to more norm here not as wet.
      Falls off fast if a little dry?
      Mind you HRS didnt like a dry spell we had here either, and still grade crap!

Comment

Well back before it became popular, it was only grown on irrigation. But those were drier years too. Apparently it does not like dry so much.

Neighbors here have tried it. It either yielded well, but had limited markets/low prices, or got nailed by frost, because we live in a bizarre weather area, where things do not mature as well, even though we have a reasonably long growing season. Just too cool and wet. But the 5 days later thing they peg it at, is more like 2 weeks later here!

I think I am going CPS, it responds well to moisture, will not have a hog barn discount, yet matures relatively well.

Hog barns being my target.

Comment

Wheat is a minor crop for us. Soft white is all we grow. Less midge damage, quality not near the issue compared to HRS, easy to harvest, good yields, protein not a consideration.
          Pay attention to seed treatment. Fungicide usually required. Good fertility a must for top yields.
          Domestic markets use most of the crop. There is talk that american stocks of soft white might be heading to 30 year lows. Could that news be what is behind the recent bump in prices?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...